London college of music

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

London college of music

Post by Live_thedream »

Hi does anyone know much about LCM? Does anyone have a DC that goes there but also know what their success rate is like of getting into the industry after course completion?
Last edited by Live_thedream on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Re: London college of music

Post by bop2thetop »

Hi LiveTheDream,
My DS goes to LCM. He's in the first year of the 3 year Degree course. Hes really enjoying it so far. He says the teachers are really good and he loves his lessons. Hes more of an actor singer than a dancer and although they do do dance i think the course is weighted more to actor singers which suits him.
Ive been looking at what graduates are doing with interest. I can tell you about what a few people are doing (from their Twitter page) I know somone who has gone straight on a cruise ship as a lead singer, someone is understudy Genie in Aladdin (West End), they have someone currently in My Land's Shore , somone else in Carmen (West End) and others have been in all sorts of Pantos and cruises. The 3rd years had their showcase last week in Soho which was attended by lots of Agents. Its difficult to say what their success rate is like compared to the big drama schools because no one ever tells you about all the talented graduates that never get in to anything. No where is a guarantee, but obvioulsy you can improve your chances dependent on where you go.
You can get normal student funding there which makes it affordable to more people. We couldnt afford Arts Ed or Mountview and he didnt have the grades for GSA so we're grateful he could go to LCM. :D
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

bop2thetop wrote:Hi LiveTheDream,
My DS goes to LCM. He's in the first year of the 3 year Degree course. Hes really enjoying it so far. He says the teachers are really good and he loves his lessons. Hes more of an actor singer than a dancer and although they do do dance i think the course is weighted more to actor singers which suits him.
Ive been looking at what graduates are doing with interest. I can tell you about what a few people are doing (from their Twitter page) I know somone who has gone straight on a cruise ship as a lead singer, someone is understudy Genie in Aladdin (West End), they have someone currently in My Land's Shore , somone else in Carmen (West End) and others have been in all sorts of Pantos and cruises. The 3rd years had their showcase last week in Soho which was attended by lots of Agents. Its difficult to say what their success rate is like compared to the big drama schools because no one ever tells you about all the talented graduates that never get in to anything. No where is a guarantee, but obvioulsy you can improve your chances dependent on where you go.
You can get normal student funding there which makes it affordable to more people. We couldnt afford Arts Ed or Mountview and he didnt have the grades for GSA so we're grateful he could go to LCM. :D
Thank you bop2thetop. That's really helpful. DS is also a strong singer/actor and so far with Nos from arts ed and mountview we were looking at options and came across LCM. DS also auditioning at GSA but doesn't have the grades so not hopeful
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Im all over this!
Just gotta convince DS to apply now :lol:
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Somehow we missed this one and it looks good!
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Sherbert wrote:Im all over this!
Just gotta convince DS to apply now :lol:
I would highly recommend it as an alternative to Arts Ed, Mountview or GSA if you don’t have the funds for those places or grades in the case of GSA.

Just so you know at LCM there’s a choice of 2 Musical theatre courses:- A 4 year Degree course with foundation year and a 3 year Degree Course. Here’s a link to more info ..

https://www.uwl.ac.uk/my-application/in ... al-theatre

There’s student finance for both courses including the foundation year which is unusual for a foundation course, but I’m guessing it’s because it’s essentially the first year of a four year course.

London College of Music is a music college with in the University of West London by the way :-({|=
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Missed this one too. Why is / has it been so under the radar for MT?
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Robin64 wrote:Missed this one too. Why is / has it been so under the radar for MT?
It's been spoken about in previous years/forums (I did a search and got some valuable information) but not this year.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Robin64 wrote:Missed this one too. Why is / has it been so under the radar for MT?
Maybe its a bit under the radar on this site because its not really the best course for dancers. Im not sure. But from what i can see on social media etc it is well known, but that might be because of who i follow.
Sorry i should have said something at the start of the applying process. I saw the question about it and thats what made me think about it. Im not sure if its too late or not for this September. It may not be as its on UCAS. Or you could phone them? The man who is head of the course Steven Sparling was so nice and accomodating to my DS. Worth a try maybe
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Live_thedream wrote:
Thank you bop2thetop. That's really helpful. DS is also a strong singer/actor and so far with Nos from arts ed and mountview we were looking at options and came across LCM. DS also auditioning at GSA but doesn't have the grades so not hopeful
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what grades are needed for GSA?
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Ditzi wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what grades are needed for GSA?
GSA currently require AAB in A levels or DDD in BTEC. They say you can still audition if you havent got the grades but from many peoples experiences its very unlikely they'll take anyone with lower grades than those. Someone on here may know something different. My DD went to GSA and she didnt know anyone who didnt have the grades. But then again, would they say? Ive heard that it is the University of Surrey that impose the grades and not GSA. (GSA is with in the University of Surrey) GSA say they can make exceptions but from reading other threads about this subject i think its very rare.
Last edited by bop2thetop on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Thank you, we have yet a few years to go but I’m reading all the audition threads with interest, I like to keep informed. Good luck everyone! :) x
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Live_thedream wrote:
Ah good luck to your DS Live the Dream. Hope he gets in somewhere he likes. Feel free to PM me if you' like? I know about LCM and GSA
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

Hi all

My dd is in final year at LCM and she'd thoroughly recommend it. They have just had their showcase at Soho Theatre so difficult to say how successful everyone will be with agents. There were plenty there and I know some people have several offers already.It's a fairly new course and definitely more actor/singer, but they do seem to be getting some success in the west end such as Book of Mormon, Aladdin and Motown. Teaching quality is very high and they do share directors/teachers with other drama schools such as Arts Ed and Rose Bruford for example. Shows this year have been Fiddler on the roof and Rags, with 9 to 5 and Urinetown to follow. It is certainly easier to get into than GSA so I would definitely recommend it as a UCAS option. Please DM if anyone has any questions. :D :D
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

yorshiremum wrote:Hi all

My dd is in final year at LCM and she'd thoroughly recommend it. They have just had their showcase at Soho Theatre so difficult to say how successful everyone will be with agents. There were plenty there and I know some people have several offers already.It's a fairly new course and definitely more actor/singer, but they do seem to be getting some success in the west end such as Book of Mormon, Aladdin and Motown. Teaching quality is very high and they do share directors/teachers with other drama schools such as Arts Ed and Rose Bruford for example. Shows this year have been Fiddler on the roof and Rags, with 9 to 5 and Urinetown to follow. It is certainly easier to get into than GSA so I would definitely recommend it as a UCAS option. Please DM if anyone has any questions. :D :D
Hi Yorshire Mum, My DS is in the first year and loving it so far. I saw Rags last autumn and really enjoyed it (I don’t know which show your DD was in? ) Their were some very talented young people in it. Sounds really promising about Agents. May I PM you?