hearing from Bird

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

HollyMae
Nominee

hearing from Bird

Post by HollyMae »

Does anybody know about how long it takes to hear after the Bird audition ? I know a couple of people did get offers on the day but am presuming there are more places offered than that ? Also does anyone have any experience of Bird as a place to train in general . Obviously it has a very good reputation and you see their name loads in the West end programmes but just wondered if anyone had first hand experience . My DD is only 16 so we are still deciding whether she should go now or wait til 18 . She loved the place and enjoyed the audition day but so difficult to know what to do for the best . How many are in a year group at Bird as I thought I heard it was one of the bigger colleges compared to say Laine who have about 70 in a year group and some of the smaller colleges who have as few as 30 . Not sure what the pros and cons of this might be . Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice . All a bit new to us . :?
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: hearing from Bird

Post by Robin64 »

Can't quite remember how long it takes to hear back from Bird. They all seem to vary. Where else has she auditioned? As you can tell from reading all the threads, people usually get a feel for where they like best. To be honest I would just try and forget about it until the offers are on the table. There were some good threads on going at 16 or 18 - pros and cons to both. Might be worth reading if you haven't yet. Accommodation is the main difference at 16 I think and the funding options due to doing a diploma not degree. Obviously apart from if they are ready to leave home.
Dd loves it at Bird and I haven't seen anything negative about it from the other napm-ers with DC there. Not too sure if anyone on here has a 16 year old there. Fingers crossed for you. To get an offer from any of the usual suspects is a big achievement. We all know how hard it is.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Hi,

My dd got a reply about 2 weeks after her audition with an offer of a Diploma place but no funding. We accepted her place and I added she wouldn't be able to take it without funding. She heard again by phone at the beginning of June offering her a DaDA. She's now in her 2nd year at Bird and loving it. Ironically, initially she thought she would prefer a smaller college but her year has 7 classes with about 20-25 in each class. She has a fortnightly one to one singing lesson, although they also have ensemble singing too. My dd went at 18 but does have friends who went at 16.
Feel free to pm me if you would like any further information or have any questions :)
HollyMae
Nominee

Post by HollyMae »

Thanks for your reply.She has an offer of a foundation course at Laine , a diploma at a smaller less well known college and is waiting to hear from Performers . She liked both Laine and Bird equally but of course knows they are particularly hard to get in to. Yes it would be useful if anyone has a 16 yr old at Bird or Laine to know how they find it being younger ? Dd feels ready in lots of ways but worried about not doing A levels and knows it will be harder going away early Cos all her friends will still be home rather than going off to uni etc . We were only meant to be testing the water so only doing a few auditions but now she has a couple of offers it is difficult to make the decision ! #-o
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

HollyMae wrote:Thanks for your reply.She has an offer of a foundation course at Laine , a diploma at a smaller less well known college and is waiting to hear from Performers . She liked both Laine and Bird equally but of course knows they are particularly hard to get in to. Yes it would be useful if anyone has a 16 yr old at Bird or Laine to know how they find it being younger ? Dd feels ready in lots of ways but worried about not doing A levels and knows it will be harder going away early Cos all her friends will still be home rather than going off to uni etc . We were only meant to be testing the water so only doing a few auditions but now she has a couple of offers it is difficult to make the decision ! #-o
Even though your daughter has a couple of offers, it has to be the right time for her. From a personal point of view I feel 16 is too young. I also think that just in case ALevels or the BTEC are a good idea especially as a career in this business can be very short. There are lots of restrictions for 16 yr old, I think your DD would have to live with a family and not sharing with other students. Making the wrong decision now could affect your DD for the rest of her life. I hope you don’t think I am being negative, only you know your DC it is such a big decision to make. She may be ready but you could have a lot of problems if she isn’t.
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Hi HollyMae, DS is in his second year at Bird. He started there at the age of 16 and has coped really well.He is living with a lovely host family and comes home at weekends. Feel free to message for any info
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

HollyMae wrote:Does anybody know about how long it takes to hear after the Bird audition ? I know a couple of people did get offers on the day but am presuming there are more places offered than that ? Also does anyone have any experience of Bird as a place to train in general . Obviously it has a very good reputation and you see their name loads in the West end programmes but just wondered if anyone had first hand experience . My DD is only 16 so we are still deciding whether she should go now or wait til 18 . She loved the place and enjoyed the audition day but so difficult to know what to do for the best . How many are in a year group at Bird as I thought I heard it was one of the bigger colleges compared to say Laine who have about 70 in a year group and some of the smaller colleges who have as few as 30 . Not sure what the pros and cons of this might be . Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice . All a bit new to us . :?
DD turned 19 just after starting the course this September 17. There are 16 year olds in class and as most social nights tend to be a meal out or a show dont think would affect the 16 year olds too much. There are the group nights out to night clubs which obviously your DC could not partake in however these seem rare as students too tired.

My DD stayed with a host family at 16 for a summer course and they were very nice.

The school was always my favourite and so please DD got in.

Class sizes are about 20 to 25 and yes there are large year groups but Urdang and now Laines and Performers seem to be similar sizes.

I rate the school very highly
x
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

HollyMae wrote:Does anybody know about how long it takes to hear after the Bird audition ? I know a couple of people did get offers on the day but am presuming there are more places offered than that ? Also does anyone have any experience of Bird as a place to train in general . Obviously it has a very good reputation and you see their name loads in the West end programmes but just wondered if anyone had first hand experience . My DD is only 16 so we are still deciding whether she should go now or wait til 18 . She loved the place and enjoyed the audition day but so difficult to know what to do for the best . How many are in a year group at Bird as I thought I heard it was one of the bigger colleges compared to say Laine who have about 70 in a year group and some of the smaller colleges who have as few as 30 . Not sure what the pros and cons of this might be . Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice . All a bit new to us . :?
Oh and think they quote 3 weeks for a response.
Dont be surprised if you get offered reserve as that is what many of the girls get offered and then they start offering places from about May through to September.
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

good afternoon all.

My DD got offered Diploma place at Bird. Shes 15, 16 this year Although reserve for funding. Not sure how this DADA all works? Good luck to everyone already placed and waiting to hear their outcomes. x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

bro1234 wrote:good afternoon all.

My DD got offered Diploma place at Bird. Shes 15, 16 this year Although reserve for funding. Not sure how this DADA all works? Good luck to everyone already placed and waiting to hear their outcomes. x
Congratulations to your DD for her offer. From what I understand there's usually a lot of movement on the reserve list and , from what other posters have said, is that once the auditions are over they will tell you where you are on the reserve list too
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

Thank you. I have read some posts that suggest you can get funding offers right up to September. Will keep my fingers crossed!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Well done. You can phone and ask where you are on the list which is quite helpful
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

bro1234 wrote:good afternoon all.

Congratulations!! What a nerve wracking process.

Did the letter specifically say a reserve place? I hear there's lots of movement. Dds friend was offered a place 4 weeks before the start of term.

My dd also offered a place but my letter didn't say reserve. Says unfunded place but once they hear about how much they have been allocated that they hope to offer her funding with accommodation.and funding info to follow. The letter was so odd I ended up clarifying over the phone with them and they said it's a place with a Dada . 2 girls she knows who were offered a place on the day also got the same letter.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

bro1234 wrote:Thank you. I have read some posts that suggest you can get funding offers right up to September. Will keep my fingers crossed!
There were people being offered funding even during the first week of the course as I suppose people may have dropped out.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Dogcop wrote:Well done. You can phone and ask where you are on the list which is quite helpful
Just to say we counted down the days to be able to find out where DD was on the list but you still dont really get told anything.
All we were told was that in previous years people in her position had been offered a place and funding.
They sometimes say if you are near the top or middle of the list.
They certainly dont say number 6 out of 82 etc...
Hope this helps