Best time to audition for full time training

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Best time to audition for full time training

Post by dancemom43 »

jennifer1972 wrote:I would second that! Start researching as early as possible. The summer before auditioning I did a spreadsheet with all of the possible colleges, pros and con, student outcomes, showcases, cost, you name it and then we went through them one by one and she gave them a mark out of ten. We then picked her top 5 to audition at. She worked on a list of 6 songs with her singing teacher and knew every one upside down and inside out. As for the monologues, I went to a theatre bookshop and spent a happy couple of hours finding 3 monologues. Again, she practised them over the summer until she was totally confident with them, varying the way she performed them, angry, sad etc. She read the plays and found out when and where they had been performed, stuff about the authors etc. Her first audition was in the November and she was done by Feb with offers at all places. It was my job to make sure she was 100% prepared, the rest was down to her!
We did a similar thing with the spreadsheet and thought was prepared with songs and monologues till I read the above. These children are all lucky to have such supporting parents as I really do believe many would not make it without.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Best time to audition for full time training

Post by Marissa »

Robin64 wrote:...and if we have to go through all this again I am following your tips!
Time is the key although saying that we did all this and am still finding things out lol