Urdang Recall

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Re: Urdang Recall

Post by Live_thedream »

Upinlights wrote:Hi

The dance is very tough at the audition , my daughter is strong in dance and thought it was the hardest of all the colleges, and she auditioned for eight. But saying that, if your dc is strong in other disciplines, then it would be worth still applying. But just make them aware , that the dance part will be tough x good luck with whatever you decide x
Thanks Upinlights - yes that's what I presumed, but when looking at the website, couldn't understand the why the 3 pathways. I don't think DS would want to pitch himself against other more skilled dancers, as it may affect this confidence. 3 people he knows have got in, but all good dancers.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Shabby wrote:My ds is at Urdang in his 2nd year. In the first year everyone does the about the same amount of dance classes although streamed and it is full on, usually 2 or 3 95min classes a day along with various singing and acting classes. The standard is incredibly high (I watched a few in house videos) watch their move it performances and that is just a small selection of their students many others with just as much talent. It streams in the 2nd year to MT (triple threat), acting and singing and pure dance. My ds was intermediate level dance when he applied and is now on the acting and singing stream and loving it, he still does one or two dance classes a day along with 2 or 3 various singing and acting classes. I’d say the dance standard to get in was generally very high unless you have a truly phenomenal voice but can still move. Hope this helps.
Yes it does thank you. DS has been on foundation course this year to try and improve his dance ability. He can perform dance moves, perform through dance, but he's not a natural - like you know when someone is natural. He was shocked to get a recall at Arts Ed, as they like dance so assuming it was down to his singing, but alas didn't get a place (although hugely chuffed with a recall!). Not sure whether it's worth a try? Due to the level of skill as it will knock his confidence - or just go for it.
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

I know two boys who are at Urdang having done very little dance. My nephew only decided to go down the musical theatre route as he started his A levels. He was in a local musical theatre group and had singing lessons but only took dance lessons during 6th form. Having said that he did work hard on his dancing and has a good voice. He is on the Urdang degree course and has a top up scholarship. Another boy from the youth theatre group had done practically no dance but got onto the Urdang foundation course last year. He is now on the degree course this year. I think they look for potential in the audition rather than experience.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

ajbew wrote:I know two boys who are at Urdang having done very little dance. My nephew only decided to go down the musical theatre route as he started his A levels. He was in a local musical theatre group and had singing lessons but only took dance lessons during 6th form. Having said that he did work hard on his dancing and has a good voice. He is on the Urdang degree course and has a top up scholarship. Another boy from the youth theatre group had done practically no dance but got onto the Urdang foundation course last year. He is now on the degree course this year. I think they look for potential in the audition rather than experience.
I do agree with you. Our DD had a similar build up to auditions. Very heavy on singing training, lots of youth MT, but started dance properly at 15. She had ballet grade 7 and jazz or modern (can't recall which) grade 5 and was successful in her auditions first time round. There is a temptation to feel that the more you spend and the more lessons you have and grades you pass the more successful DC will be. I know we felt that DD had a very low chance given her level of dance compared to others which turned out not to be the case. Whilst I've no doubt the more you train in everything, the better your chance, it's good to keep some perspective and realise that not all highly trained auditionees get in first time, and not all those with comparatively low levels of training do not.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

I also agree
Training since the age of 3 or starting intensive training at 15...
If your face/body/personality/voice/skill fit on the day of the audition then you’re in!
My DS was told at feedback once - auditions for BA’s are a bit like casting for a ‘show’ if there’s no part for you then it doesn’t matter how much or where youve trained - there’s no part for you in the show - I presume they’re almost casting for a 3rd year showcase at the auditions - a bit like reality tv shows - a room full of similar looking and sounding students wouldn’t work
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Sherbert wrote:I also agree
Training since the age of 3 or starting intensive training at 15...
If your face/body/personality/voice/skill fit on the day of the audition then you’re in!
My DS was told at feedback once - auditions for BA’s are a bit like casting for a ‘show’ if there’s no part for you then it doesn’t matter how much or where youve trained - there’s no part for you in the show - I presume they’re almost casting for a 3rd year showcase at the auditions - a bit like reality tv shows - a room full of similar looking and sounding students wouldn’t work
I think this is very true of the courses with small intakes of 20-40 and we were told this by more than one of them. They will balance the intake so as not to end up with all blond sopranos amongst the girls for example.
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

My DD has the funding recall audition at Urdang this weekend. We paid the additional £75 to be considered for a scholarship, does anyone know how many of these are awarded? Also, how many dancers go through this funding audition and are offered no financial support?
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:My DD has the funding recall audition at Urdang this weekend. We paid the additional £75 to be considered for a scholarship, does anyone know how many of these are awarded? Also, how many dancers go through this funding audition and are offered no financial support?
My DD was offered a place and did the funding audition. She was not offered any funding. Audition did not go great (problems with asthma). She was devastated. I never thought naively they would offer a place and not give funding. Thought just DADA or degree.

You would not have thought it at the time but it was meant to be and she is now at her initial first choice college.

On a plus one of her best friends was on reserve and went to same funding audition and was offered degree and the £3000 per year bursary, so went the other way for her and she is loving it there.

I very much believe all of them end up where they are meant to be.
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

Thank you Dancemom43 this is really useful, I originally thought the same as you but now feel much more realistic that DD might come away with what she started with, the non-funded offer.