BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by bop2thetop »

In case its of interest to anyone London College of Music / LCM do a Musical Theatre Foundation Year which is funded by Student Finance. Most of the foundation students carry on to do the 3 year Degree there too.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

bop2thetop wrote:In case its of interest to anyone London College of Music / LCM do a Musical Theatre Foundation Year which is funded by Student Finance. Most of the foundation students carry on to do the 3 year Degree there too.
Thankyou that's of interest to my DD for next yr should we need it xxx
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

bop2thetop wrote:In case its of interest to anyone London College of Music / LCM do a Musical Theatre Foundation Year which is funded by Student Finance. Most of the foundation students carry on to do the 3 year Degree there too.
That's interesting. Do you know why that is? I understood Foindation courses are never funded and they certainly aren't at anywhere else mentioned on this forum.

Also LCM is very unusual if most of its foundation students get on to the 3 year degree. Nearly every other college makes it very clear that that's not the case and that it's not a feeder course for the degree. A policy like that must significantly reduce the number of places available for non-LCM foundation students and significantly reduce the chances of getting s place. Or maybe publicly they say that doesn't happen but in reality it does act as a feeder course?
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Hi Chivers, yes you’re right the LCM foundation course is very different . It is supposed to be a feeder course for the 3 year degree. On UCAS you can either apply for the 4 year course (which includes a foundation year) or if you have the grades you can apply to go straight on to the 3 year degree. My DS applied for the 4 year course (with foundation) because he didn’t have the grades for the 3 year but they offered him the 3 year degree anyway. So he joined the foundation year going on to the first year. There were quite a lot new students joining in to the first year but I think the majority of students on the course had already done the foundation .

Something to bare in mind is that the course is more suited to actor/singers. There is some dance but not as much as other courses offer. Apparently the Degree course is the same as the Central Musical Theatre course. I’ve heard it was written by the same person.

It’s so good that there is student finance available. It makes it more accessible to more people.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

This is really interesting
Thanks for the info
Wish I’d known about this 6 months ago ](*,)
X
I can echo that this is deffo not the case anywhere else unfortunately as my DS is currently doing the foundation at Mountview and didn’t get on to the BA course - to say he is devastated is an understatement :(
Fingers crossed for Trinity result next week...
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

I have also noticed that LCM do a number of different degrees relating to performance
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Marissa wrote:
Felicity wrote:
rhythmanddreams wrote:Is anyone else going to be at the Chichester auditions next Saturday? Or has anyone's child auditioned at Chichester this year , who can give me an insight into what to expect on the audition day? I don't know who is more nervous, me or my daughter!
Hope it went well for your DD! What did she think?
My DD heard back within a few days after the audition so not to long to wait...
Yes how did it go? Hopefully well xxx
sorry everyone! It's next saturday (3rd march) that we are there. Have just got a reply from Performers College and that audition is going to be on Sun 11th March, so another round of trains and hotels to organise and book.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote:
Felicity wrote:
sorry everyone! It's next saturday (3rd march) that we are there. Have just got a reply from Performers College and that audition is going to be on Sun 11th March, so another round of trains and hotels to organise and book.
Oh Goodluck x busy, busy x
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

bop2thetop wrote:Hi Chivers, yes you’re right the LCM foundation course is very different . It is supposed to be a feeder course for the 3 year degree. On UCAS you can either apply for the 4 year course (which includes a foundation year) or if you have the grades you can apply to go straight on to the 3 year degree. My DS applied for the 4 year course (with foundation) because he didn’t have the grades for the 3 year but they offered him the 3 year degree anyway. So he joined the foundation year going on to the first year. There were quite a lot new students joining in to the first year but I think the majority of students on the course had already done the foundation .

Something to bare in mind is that the course is more suited to actor/singers. There is some dance but not as much as other courses offer. Apparently the Degree course is the same as the Central Musical Theatre course. I’ve heard it was written by the same person.

It’s so good that there is student finance available. It makes it more accessible to more people.
Thanks for that. Not sure it's clear however whether the students actually apply for a 4 year degree or a foundation year and then may or may not get on to the 3 year follow on. If the latter it strikes me as no different to any other foundation course which doesn't attract funding. If it's a 4 year degree from the outset that's different as that would attract funding. That said it's largely academic as they get the funding. Just intrigued as to why everywhere which offers a foundation doesn't do whatever they do and get their foundation courses funded.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote:
Felicity wrote:
Good luck again! We stayed at the Premier Inn near Bognor - twas nice, plenty of parking and a very convenient few mins drive to the campus.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

chivers61 wrote:
bop2thetop wrote:Hi Chivers, yes you’re right the LCM foundation course is very different . It is supposed to be a feeder course for the 3 year degree. On UCAS you can either apply for the 4 year course (which includes a foundation year) or if you have the grades you can apply to go straight on to the 3 year degree. My DS applied for the 4 year course (with foundation) because he didn’t have the grades for the 3 year but they offered him the 3 year degree anyway. So he joined the foundation year going on to the first year. There were quite a lot new students joining in to the first year but I think the majority of students on the course had already done the foundation .

Thanks for that. Not sure it's clear however whether the students actually apply for a 4 year degree or a foundation year and then may or may not get on to the 3 year follow on. If the latter it strikes me as no different to any other foundation course which doesn't attract funding. If it's a 4 year degree from the outset that's different as that would attract funding. That said it's largely academic as they get the funding. Just intrigued as to why everywhere which offers a foundation doesn't do whatever they do and get their foundation courses funded.
Hi Chivers,
Yes it is a 4 year course from the outset. They call it a degree course with a foundation year. Obviously that doesn’t stop you from leaving after the foundation year should you choose to. But I think most students do go on to the degree part of the course as long as they pass their foundation year assessments.
I know it’s quite different from all others foundation courses. I guess they can get the student finance because it’s the first year of a 4 year course. If all institutions gave all their foundation students an automatic place on to the Degree course it would be great. But I can also understand why they wouldn’t want to do that because it would reduce the amount of places for new students.
An extra bonus is that Foundation students also get a £2,000 grant in their foundation year and a £2,000 grant in their first year. It’s called ‘Pathway to success’. My DS doesn’t get it unfortunately because he’s gone straight in to the first year of the degree but nice for anyone who does get it
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Wish I had heard of this before. It sounds good on paper and financially looks one of the better options. Not a course that has come up very often on here but maybe it will now!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

If its a UCAS course, it would be too late to apply for this September wouldn't it? Or would UCAS extra work? That starts feb 25th i think. Otherwise it would be clearing wouldn't it?
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Robin64 wrote:If its a UCAS course, it would be too late to apply for this September wouldn't it? Or would UCAS extra work? That starts feb 25th i think. Otherwise it would be clearing wouldn't it?
UCAS extra would work if your child does not hold any other offers. I think you can also add courses until June if you are not at the max number of applications permitted.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks Felicity. Dd didn't use all her options.