BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by dancemom43 »

I completely agree with what you are saying about % of those that make west end. Im sure like you say they have more chance in making the bulk of their money waitressing or something but we try to be sensible and DD taking her teaching qualifications too and once they have commitments like a house or children they have a more stable wage coming in teaching. Cruise ships or touring would also be a great way whilst young to see the world.
bluevoice
Nominee

Post by bluevoice »

I dont really post on here much and havent done for a few years just hve a read through of some of the posts but thought I would tell you my feelings on Chichester and the Triple Threat course there bearing in mind people seem to have unfair opinions on it because its not one of the so called big places like Central/GSA/Mountview and its not in London. My daughter is at Chichester on the Triple threat course and is now in her third year. She took 2 gap years and we went through 2 years of auditions having had recalls and final recalls at GSA and Central as they were places she really wanted to go to in both years and she had other offers at Chichester and other places. Unfortunately she didnt get in to GSA or Central and so finally decided to take up the place at Chichester having looked at what the course offered . She has enjoyed it and I think it is now becoming a place that people are wanting to go to. Looking at the course I think it offers quite a lot particularly in the third year. They have shows in the second year (Xmas and May) In her second year they did Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella and Carousel in local theatres as well as devised piece and in the third year they audition for the MT tour, MT Festival or MT Commission. My daughter is in the Festival group which is doing Sondheim's Merrily we Roll Along this year and there are I think 5 or 6 shows in in the Sussex area at different theatres and the same with the touring and Commission groups so they all get experience doing a tour, They can enter the Sondheim competition if they want and there is also a showcase they do in third year. They also try and get a group together to do the Edinburgh Fringe or Brighton Fringe.Not sure where the showcase is this year as they dont start preparing for that until this term. I think its usually in the London area. The Triple threat degree also offers modules in stage management and arts management as well as business. If you look at the course prospectus it will give more information of what students do and what the course entails and they also have workshops and visits from West End choreographers and such like which my daughter enjoys. A lot of the staff have industry experience. There is also a good facebook page (University of Chichester Musical Theatre which tends to have details of alumni and jobs they have got and shows they are doing. Personally I think it is quite good alternative to some of the others and is an up and coming place . The University also offers other Musical Theatre Courses as well as the Triple Threat but I have no knowledge of what they are like but they also do shows There are rumours of it trying to become a conservatoire but dont know how true that is. Anyway I hope this sheds a bit of light on the Triple Threat course for some of your DCs considering it.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

That's really helpful bluevoice. It sounds like Chichester is undergoing change and has great ambitions for the future which is great. It is about time someone challenged the cosy club of London colleges. Hoepfully they will succeed and create a new model.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Thanks for all the advice and perspectives and a big thank you to bluevoice for the detailed insight into the triple threat course at Chichester. What is the difference between the Tour / Commission / Festival? I read about this somewhere and didn’t quite understand why the 3 groups and what the objective is of each.
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I would advise anyone to do their homework and research before accepting the MT course at Central.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

jaybeeyellow wrote:I would advise anyone to do their homework and research before accepting the MT course at Central.
Very criptic. Did you have a bad experience?
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Unfortunately, yes. A very bad experience.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

jaybeeyellow wrote:Unfortunately, yes. A very bad experience.
Really sorry to hear this and hope that you are over it now. But part of me says that being so cryptic has probably destabilised some people currently auditioning for Central and sent them rushing to the internet to try to find out what you're referring to.

Understandably if it's something very personal then it must remain private but if it relates to the course quality or content then perhaps further insight would help.

Unless what you are referring to is easily discoverable I'm not sure what the objective of your post is.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Hi there. I don't post much but always read with great interest - I cant comment on Chichester as my son never applied there and I don't know anyone who went there but....my son is currently doing the Foundation at Mountview and he absolutely loves loves loves it - he said to me only the other day that he has learnt so much and grown as a performer that he can't believe he even considered being slightly ready for the BA course this time last year.

The hardest part (apart from the finances and no guarantee to get on to a BA after foundation) is having to go through the whole audition process again - they only take around 35-40 candidates each year on to the BA course out of a few thousand so its really competitive and I cant help feeling if there is an offer for Chichester 3 year BA course then I'd grab it and stuff the foundation at Arts Ed- saying that - as a previous poster said - I have never seen Chichester training on the back of a West End Programme - it nearly always seems to be dominated by Arts Ed, Mountview, Urdang, GSA, Laine and Trinity Laban (relatively new course so this name will probably come through more and more now)

So my take on all of that is, if i'm scraping together somewhere in the region of £60k+ for foundation and then a 3 year BA, I want to see my son's name on the back of a west end programme lol...one day...or at least on Coronation Street! :lol:

ps: big well done to your DC for all of those options on the table xx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

jaybeeyellow wrote:I would advise anyone to do their homework and research before accepting the MT course at Central.
Well DD has an audition there so I would really like to know how to do the homework suggested because this has worried me. Obviously I do know that it is more acting focused and no make up. Anything else I should be aware of?
bluevoice
Nominee

Post by bluevoice »

Felicity Sorry I dont really know the answer to what you ask about the 3 different groups. I presume as they audition they put them in the groups that they think suit their talents and the show they re putting on but Im not really sure. The Touring group are doing On The Town and Im not sure what the Commison group are doing. It might be on their facebook page. My daughter is home next week as its a reading week so I'll ask her if she knows otherwise maybe email the university to see if they can explain. Anyway good luck
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Robin64 wrote:
Well DD has an audition there so I would really like to know how to do the homework suggested because this has worried me. Obviously I do know that it is more acting focused and no make up. Anything else I should be aware of?

Robin
I have PM,d
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Another option I was the thinking about was DD doing the BA at Chichester then an MA at somewhere like GSA/RA etc. I am worried that after a 1 year foundation she may not end up with any offer and will have lost out on the opportunity at Chichester. If she turned down this offer in favour of the Foundation, would she even be considered if she reapplied the next year?
Last edited by Felicity on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Another option I was the thinking about was DD doing the BA at Chichester then an MA at somewhere like GSA/RA etc. I am worried that after a 1 year foundation she may not end up with any offer and will have lost out on the opportunity at Chichester. If she turned down this offer in favour of the Foundation, would she even be considered if she reapplied the next year?[/quote]

Can you defer for a year as you can with other uni courses?
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

You'd need to ask each Uni but in the main I think deferring is not an option except under exceptional circumstances.