BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by Marissa »

Arrived and picked up daughter who has been in London the last two days watching musicals! Any advice on what to wear to Trinity? So far she has gone smart x black simple dress with bright belt and low heels with dance stuff underneath x I'm worried she won't look contemporary enough but she also wants to look like she's made an effort lol x Any advice?
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Just to say good luck Marissa to your daughter for her audition tomorrow x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Just to say good luck Marissa to your daughter for her audition tomorrow x
Ahh Thankyou x you are all so lovely here x But I guess as said before we are all going through it or know what it's like to just want that place for your child x Goodluck for your next audition too x
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I am struggling with the sheer enormity of the cost of everything (as a single parent) just for her to be able to do the auditions. Audition fees- not a problem as they were expected. Private lessons for Drama and Singing to prepare songs and monologues (on top of her usual weekly lessons), financially crippling but again, expected. The cost of getting to and from full day auditions when I don't drive, and we live in the back end of beyond? Crazy. Often requiring two overnight stays - one the night before the audition and one the night after en route home, as there isn't a train after 9.30pm to get us back to our small town, which is a good 4 and a half hours from London. And all the auditions are in the space of a couple of weeks for us, so no chance of spreading the expense a bit.
Obviously hoping that she gets into one [-o< as I don't know if I can do it all again (financially) this time next year if she doesn't get offered a place at any of her choices. :cry:
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Yes I know exactly what you mean. I am struggling with the sheer enormity of the cost of everything (as a single parent) just for her to be able to do the auditions. Audition fees- not a problem as they were expected. Private lessons for Drama and Singing to prepare songs and monologues (on top of her usual weekly lessons), financially crippling but again, expected. The cost of getting to and from full day auditions when I don't drive, and we live in the back end of beyond? Crazy. Often requiring two overnight stays - one the night before the audition and one the night after en route home, as there isn't a train after 9.30pm to get us back to our small town, which is a good 4 and a half hours from London. And all the auditions are in the space of a couple of weeks for us, so no chance of spreading the expense a bit.
Obviously hoping that she gets into one [-o< as I don't know if I can do it all again (financially) this time next year if she doesn't get offered a place at any of her choices. :cry:

Got it in one! Sat talking to a parent today who's child is doing physics and they really don't have a clue how costly or stressful it is x Is DD coming from A levels or foundation and when's first audition?
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Got it in one! Sat talking to a parent today who's child is doing physics and they really don't have a clue how costly or stressful it is x Is DD coming from A levels or foundation and when's first audition?[/quote]

she's coming from A-levels. Her first audition is meant to be Shrewsbury (end of Feb), but she really isn't sure about going to it as we don't have much info on the course, the contact hours, the tutors etc. I have priced up travel and travelodge type hotels and it is going to cost at least £200 to go, even with a two together railcard.
Next is Chichester 3rd March, which we will definitely be attending as it's her no 1 choice at the moment, but I think this is because it's the only one that we also went for a look round back in Nov. Next is meant to be The Hammond (I think the audition date was around 20th march) and again she is unsure whether to go after I spoke to them in more detail about the course, as it doesn't seem like she is right for that one. And last Performers College which we are waiting for an audition date through, but is expected to be one of the ones near the end of March. The biggest loss for me is when the auditions are on Saturdays, as it's my busiest day at work (am a dance teacher) and I don't have anyone to cover my classes whilst I accompany her to her auditions. Essentially, a Saturday audition for her costs me my entire working wage for the week. I have tried to swap some of them for weekdays (less financially damaging for me) but some of them can only offer other termtime saturdays. I am just glad that they aren't all on a weekend!
I'm just concerned that she is cutting her auditions down to save me money. But to narrow it down to just Performers and Chichester seems like a poor move, as I know demand for both of those will be high. But is it better to take a year out and continue training & working part-time if she doesn't get onto the course that she wants, or to accept a place at her 3rd (or 4th) choice (assuming that she gets into one of those)?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

We have the same Hammond audition date I think x It is very hard to know what's right or not x I think you just have to let them decide on where they feel right x So far we have had auditions at Urdang( rejection and expected as way out of her dance skills) GSA(rejection but not too worried as she didn't like it that much and high grades needed was pressuring x) Gloucester( unconditional offer for mt degree but she doesn't think it's the place for her) Arden ( she loved it here and felt she'd nailed it but sadly was offered a hnc level four in musical theatre x she will prob do this as she can get student finance for it and it has the Arden name so hopefully good) Trinity and Hammond left x Its her first yr too x a real eye opener x
Which song to sing? What to wear? Do you look right and what monologue and now for Trinity a dance routine which cost me a fortune getting a dance teacher and hiring studio for a two minute routine as dance is her weakest x just done her grade 5 ballet and started pointe lessons x
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Marissa wrote:We have the same Hammond audition date I think x It is very hard to know what's right or not x I think you just have to let them decide on where they feel right x So far we have had auditions at Urdang( rejection and expected as way out of her dance skills) GSA(rejection but not too worried as she didn't like it that much and high grades needed was pressuring x) Gloucester( unconditional offer for mt degree but she doesn't think it's the place for her) Arden ( she loved it here and felt she'd nailed it but sadly was offered a hnc level four in musical theatre x she will prob do this as she can get student finance for it and it has the Arden name so hopefully good) Trinity and Hammond left x Its her first yr too x a real eye opener x
Which song to sing? What to wear? Do you look right and what monologue and now for Trinity a dance routine which cost me a fortune getting a dance teacher and hiring studio for a two minute routine as dance is her weakest x just done her grade 5 ballet and started pointe lessons x
We are the other way, drama being her weakest (she's not bad, but not had many private lessons so feels a bit more disadvantaged alongside those who have done drama exams and taken lots of classes and private lessons). Dance is less of a problem for the auditions, as she is Grade 8 ballet, Advanced 2 tap, Advanced 1 modern, but she decided not to do a dance course/diploma as she is tall and muscular, and just doesn't have the general 'look' that the colleges seem to go for in the dance diploma students. (I know, I've sent enough students off to audition in my time teaching dance!). Other things such as not a massive amount of flexibility, quite strong but flat feet - tap and jazz being her thing, she has persevered with ballet despite not having a great physique for it- and she does really love the drama and singing too which is what made her want to do musical theatre. I just hope that her dance and singing will carry her through, and that she has enough trainable potential for the drama. Whether she can pull her standard up enough on that side of things. The course at Performers is Musical Theatre (Dance) though, so whether her dance will be up to scratch for that, or whether they will want a very high standard of ballet as the base training I have no idea (we opted out of doing the vocational grades with her in favour of the RAD Higher Grades, as I figured doing Intermediate for years on end was just going to make her miserable, and dislike ballet even more, so we did Grade 6 & 7 instead!).
Her drama teacher suggested Arden, but we were a bit confused as to the courses and funding, and didn't know a lot about it so she decided to leave it and not apply. Since then, I have heard lots of good things about it though! I have left the drama monologue and song choices up to her and her teachers as I don't have a clue - musical theatre isn't my forte so I wouldn't be a lot of help to her. I feel completely out of my depth, especially with the UCAS / student finance type things as I went to a dance college myself, not a University, so it's all new to me.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Marissa wrote:Arrived and picked up daughter who has been in London the last two days watching musicals! Any advice on what to wear to Trinity? So far she has gone smart x black simple dress with bright belt and low heels with dance stuff underneath x I'm worried she won't look contemporary enough but she also wants to look like she's made an effort lol x Any advice?
My DD went in black leggings and a black T-shirt as they said for them to be in loose comfy clothing. They launched straight in with a dance workshop so it probably doesn’t matter too much what they turn up in. I think my DD stripped down to her dance tights and leotard etc at some point as I remember her saying she delivered her song in it. Can’t remember exactly! I am sure your DD will look lovely whatever she wears and feels comfotable in. Good luck!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Not sure if any use to those already auditioning but might be helpful for any future auditions ,we entered drama festivals to test out monologues and audition songs to get feedback. DD belongs to a drama club so entered with them but you can do it independently.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Felicity wrote:
Marissa wrote:Arrived and picked up daughter who has been in London the last two days watching musicals! Any advice on what to wear to Trinity? So far she has gone smart x black simple dress with bright belt and low heels with dance stuff underneath x I'm worried she won't look contemporary enough but she also wants to look like she's made an effort lol x Any advice?
My DD went in black leggings and a black T-shirt as they said for them to be in loose comfy clothing. They launched straight in with a dance workshop so it probably doesn’t matter too much what they turn up in. I think my DD stripped down to her dance tights and leotard etc at some point as I remember her saying she delivered her song in it. Can’t remember exactly! I am sure your DD will look lovely whatever she wears and feels comfotable in. Good luck!
Thankyou xxx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

lotsolaffs wrote:Not sure if any use to those already auditioning but might be helpful for any future auditions ,we entered drama festivals to test out monologues and audition songs to get feedback. DD belongs to a drama club so entered with them but you can do it independently.
It's great advice x DD tried out monologues with the NYT last yr and to be honest her last monologue was not good x It was given to her by her drama teacher but it just wasn't her x This years one is so much better and so her! And so far it has got a reaction from all panels.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote:We have the same Hammond audition date I think x It is very hard to know what's right or not x I think you just have to let them decide on where they feel right x So far we have had auditions at Urdang( rejection and expected as way out of her dance skills) GSA(rejection but not too worried as she didn't like it that much and high grades needed was pressuring x) Gloucester( unconditional offer for mt degree but she doesn't think it's the place for her) Arden ( she loved it here and felt she'd nailed it but sadly was offered a hnc level four in musical theatre x she will prob do this as she can get student finance for it and it has the Arden name so hopefully good) Trinity and Hammond left x Its her first yr too x a real eye opener x
We are the other way, drama being her weakest (she's not bad, but not had many private lessons so feels a bit more disadvantaged alongside those who have done drama exams and taken lots of classes and private lessons). Dance is less of a problem for the auditions, as she is Grade 8 ballet, Advanced 2 tap, Advanced 1 modern, but she decided not to do a dance course/diploma as she is tall and muscular, and just doesn't have the general 'look' that the colleges seem to go for in the dance diploma students. (I know, I've sent enough students off to audition in my time teaching dance!). Other things such as not a massive amount of flexibility, quite strong but flat feet - tap and jazz being her thing, she has persevered with ballet despite not having a great physique for it- and she does really love the drama and singing too which is what made her want to do musical theatre. I just hope that her dance and singing will carry her through, and that she has enough trainable potential for the drama. Whether she can pull her standard up enough on that side of things. The course at Performers is Musical Theatre (Dance) though, so whether her dance will be up to scratch for that, or whether they will want a very high standard of ballet as the base training I have no idea (we opted out of doing the vocational grades with her in favour of the RAD Higher Grades, as I figured doing Intermediate for years on end was just going to make her miserable, and dislike ballet even more, so we did Grade 6 & 7 instead!).
Her drama teacher suggested Arden, but we were a bit confused as to the courses and funding, and didn't know a lot about it so she decided to leave it and not apply. Since then, I have heard lots of good things about it though! I have left the drama monologue and song choices up to her and her teachers as I don't have a clue - musical theatre isn't my forte so I wouldn't be a lot of help to her. I feel completely out of my depth, especially with the UCAS / student finance type things as I went to a dance college myself, not a University, so it's all new to me.
Yes we have a good feeling about Arden. Although not the highest ranked I think for DD it may be good x DD managed to get a speaking role in a film to be released worldwide this year and Manchester offers a bit more of the tv side as well as Musical theatre so may be useful. Don't get me wrong the films low budget but it gave her her first IMDb credit and a good agent to kick start her x I do however wish we had known about Performers before x I've learnt so much from this site!!!
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

That's amazing about the film Marissa!! Best of luck for tomorrow, and come back on here and let us all know how it goes at Trinity tomorrow x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:That's amazing about the film Marissa!! Best of luck for tomorrow, and come back on here and let us all know how it goes at Trinity tomorrow x
Thankyou x the film was bizarre x I just responded to a fb advert thinking maybe she could get an extra part to look good on her uni personal statement x within a week she had a small speaking acting role signed up with A good agent and it was paid as well! I hadn't realised at the time that I was speaking to the film producer x I didn't have a showreel of her or anything just sent her a YouTube of her singing!
It was crazy and very exciting x Thankyou I will let you know how it goes x we are not expecting much but someone has to be lucky sometimes x