BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancemum22
Nominee

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by Dancemum22 »

Hello all, after some advice..does anyone have any experience of the gsa foundation course in musical theatre? My dd was lucky enough to be offered this in her interview at her recall last sat, she is a dancer with not much experience on singing and acting (although has a good voice) she has already secured places for 3 year courses at bird, performers and Laines (although can’t afford that one) and waiting to hear from urdang...we weren’t looking for a foundation course but gsa is her dream place to go and she’s loved her auditions there as so many others so should we consider it?
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Hi all - not posted on here before but have been reading with interested. So proud of my DS who has had to go to all of his auditions by himself as we live overseas. As with everyone he has had his ups and downs but fortunately has a few options on the table. He has been offered BA in MT at The Arden (but said he didn't like it there), has the offer of a 3 year Diploma at Emil Dale (I understand this course is only in its first year this year) and he has also just been offered a Foundation Course at GSA. Still waiting to hear from a couple of others but I really have not idea which of these options would be best for him. He really liked both Emil Dale and GSA but which way do we go?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

GSA are top of their game when it comes to foundation courses. The old team has left I believe and a new team has taken over. ( I think this was due to less hours every week) As amazing as it is, I think it is worth pointing out a couple of things. Firstly the foundation can not be seen as a foundation for the degree and therefore the amount of students that get on the BA is minimal and you might be at a disadvantage.It is definitely not a matter of people putting in a good word and having the upper hand at auditions. A high proportion of students do go on to get places at good schools but there are always those left disappointed . DS was once given the advice to let the school choose you and not the other way around . They know what they are looking for from their students and whilst you might like the look or feel for a place, the fit might not be right. I'm not sure what I think to that as I believe if you work hard enough and want it enough you can achieve it !
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

If money is not an issue then GSA I would think x
Dancemum22
Nominee

Post by Dancemum22 »

Marissa wrote:If money is not an issue then GSA I would think x
It’s thrown a real spanner in the works for us...was thinking she would go straight to a 3 year course but it’s gsa and tempting...although means paying for 4 years of training ](*,)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Dancemum22 wrote:
It’s thrown a real spanner in the works for us...was thinking she would go straight to a 3 year course but it’s gsa and tempting...although means paying for 4 years of training ](*,)
If DD had an offer of a foundation and there was a way of affording it I wouldn't hesitate x as it is she's not had a foundation offer but Arden offered her a hnc at linked college and this is great for her but Trinity was her dream x maybe next yr x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

As amazing as I feel my daughter is and everyone here really they are little fish in big ponds out there xxx Goodluck it sounds like your DDs doing really well x
Dancemum22
Nominee

Post by Dancemum22 »

Marissa wrote:As amazing as I feel my daughter is and everyone here really they are little fish in big ponds out there xxx Goodluck it sounds like your DDs doing really well x
You are so right...it certainly is a learning curve...we’ve learnt that a lot of the schools like them to be a bit older and more mature so maybe a year out or foundation is a good thing..I hope your dd gets where she wants to be...good luck :)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Dancemum22 wrote:
Marissa wrote:As amazing as I feel my daughter is and everyone here really they are little fish in big ponds out there xxx Goodluck it sounds like your DDs doing really well x
You are so right...it certainly is a learning curve...we’ve learnt that a lot of the schools like them to be a bit older and more mature so maybe a year out or foundation is a good thing..I hope your dd gets where she wants to be...good luck :)
Thankyou x Goodluck too x tonight I'm licking my wounds on behalf of my daughter x tomorrow's another day x
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Felicity wrote: Did your DD manage to rearrange her audition at Chichester rhythmanddreams? Fingers crossed you got everything sorted.
Hi Felicity, she got an email through, offering Sat 24th or 4th April. Will have to be sat 24th I think, we simply cannot do 4th April due to a prior commitment on that date. Looks like I will lose another saturday at work. :roll: Currently at premier inn in Basildon, and all set for tomorrow's audition at Performers. Will let you all know how it goes!
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Marissa wrote:
Dancemum22 wrote: Thankyou x Goodluck too x tonight I'm licking my wounds on behalf of my daughter x tomorrow's another day x
Let us know how your daughter gets on Marissa, and thanks for all the advice and support that you have given me on here. It's a tough old world, and all of these kids have their talents and special qualities, it's just finding the right school for each of them! Hope it all works out for you.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Marissa wrote:
Dancemum22 wrote:
If DD had an offer of a foundation and there was a way of affording it I wouldn't hesitate x as it is she's not had a foundation offer but Arden offered her a hnc at linked college and this is great for her but Trinity was her dream x maybe next yr x
I thought it was just worth mentioning that you can audition indepently for the foundation courses . Most places at GSA are given at separately to the original audition.You have to complete another form and pay a separate fee.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Dancemum22 wrote:Hello all, after some advice..does anyone have any experience of the gsa foundation course in musical theatre? My dd was lucky enough to be offered this in her interview at her recall last sat, she is a dancer with not much experience on singing and acting (although has a good voice) she has already secured places for 3 year courses at bird, performers and Laines (although can’t afford that one) and waiting to hear from urdang...we weren’t looking for a foundation course but gsa is her dream place to go and she’s loved her auditions there as so many others so should we consider it?
I am really struggling to understand why you would be considering a foundation year when your dd has been offered a 3 year course at some of the best dance based MT collages around. A foundation is to help those who are not yet the standard, to reach the required standard for a 3 year course. Your dd will have to audition all over again with no guarantees of a place anywhere. GSA is good but not THAT good to give up the offers you have. Many MT dance students would give their left arm to get offers from Bird, and Laine. Perhaps your dd is more interested in drama?
Dancemum22
Nominee

Post by Dancemum22 »

Harry2003 wrote:
Dancemum22 wrote:Hello all, after some advice..does anyone have any experience of the gsa foundation course in musical theatre? My dd was lucky enough to be offered this in her interview at her recall last sat, she is a dancer with not much experience on singing and acting (although has a good voice) she has already secured places for 3 year courses at bird, performers and Laines (although can’t afford that one) and waiting to hear from urdang...we weren’t looking for a foundation course but gsa is her dream place to go and she’s loved her auditions there as so many others so should we consider it?
I am really struggling to understand why you would be considering a foundation year when your dd has been
offered a 3 year course at some of the best dance based MT collages around. A foundation is to help those who are not yet the standard, to reach the required standard for a 3 year course. Your dd will have to audition all over again with no guarantees of a place anywhere. GSA is good but not THAT good to give up the offers you have. Many MT dance students would give their left arm to get offers from Bird, and Laine. Perhaps your dd is more interested
in drama?
This is my thought process too and I don’t think she will give up those offers...was only tempted by the gsa foundation offer as it’s her dream place to go and with the thought that she would get some excellent training in singing and acting ...good luck and happy mother’s dsy to all :(
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote:
Dancemum22 wrote: Thankyou x Goodluck too x tonight I'm licking my wounds on behalf of my daughter x tomorrow's another day x
Let us know how your daughter gets on Marissa, and thanks for all the advice and support that you have given me on here. It's a tough old world, and all of these kids have their talents and special qualities, it's just finding the right school for each of them! Hope it all works out for you.
Thankyou for your lovely words x one more audition at Hammond but I'm not positive there will be spaces or that she wants it enough x It's been a hard year x DD is very lucky to have any offers so I am extremely proud of her x We will see how it goes x Goodluck all x