Monologues for audition for diploma MT

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

HollyMae
Nominee

Monologues for audition for diploma MT

Post by HollyMae »

My daughter needs a monologue for an upcoming audition but it doesn't state whether it should be contemporary or classical , just not longer than one minute . It is difficult to know what to choose .... I've been told or heard somewhere it should be age appropriate and preferably not with an accent so something from a British playwright I presume ? . Does anyone with experience know if this is correct ? Thank you .
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Re: Monologues for audition for diploma MT

Post by lbm1e14 »

HollyMae wrote:My daughter needs a monologue for an upcoming audition but it doesn't state whether it should be contemporary or classical , just not longer than one minute . It is difficult to know what to choose .... I've been told or heard somewhere it should be age appropriate and preferably not with an accent so something from a British playwright I presume ? . Does anyone with experience know if this is correct ? Thank you .
If there's no specific guidance I'd say age and sex appropriate, preferably a part DD would play. As regards accent I've never heard about it being best to use a British piece unless specifically stated in the audition guidelines. After all "British" covers all regions so there's no one accent. If they wanted RP only they'd say so. DD was thrown in one of her auditions where she did a monologue in generic American and it went fine. They then asked her to do it in her own accent which was a disaster as she'd not practiced it that way. They didn't do that with everyone so it wasn't the fact that it was in American that was the problem.

Maybe if you're happy to share which college it is someone might be able to give you specific advice based on their experience?

Hope that helps.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Most of the auditions DS has done asked for a monologue for appriate age and gender and delivered in your normal accent, so I don't think it needs to be from a British playwright but they expect you not to be putting on an accent as they want to hear you as you are normally. At least that is my understanding
HollyMae
Nominee

Post by HollyMae »

Yes I think that's what I heard. However it is quite difficult to do a monologue with American phrases and slang in without slipping into the accent so that's why I was thinking a British play would be easier . However I guess it wouldn't really matter. Thanks for everyone's help . :D