Dd is giving up!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Dd is giving up!

Post by loladd33 »

Although Dd loves drama in particularly musical theatre, sings, dances and has taken Drama GCSE - she has come to the decision that she is not going to pursue an acting career. She has decided to pursue her love of English Literature as she wants to study at Cambridge. It is bittersweet as so much of her life has been spent doing what she loves but I feel it is the right decision for her and for me. If anyone has any advice on how to cope with this or if you have experience feel free to PM me.
It’s been great helping people and being helped on this website! Thank you all xx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Dd is giving up!

Post by Robin64 »

loladd33 wrote:Although Dd loves drama in particularly musical theatre, sings, dances and has taken Drama GCSE - she has come to the decision that she is not going to pursue an acting career. She has decided to pursue her love of English Literature as she wants to study at Cambridge. It is bittersweet as so much of her life has been spent doing what she loves but I feel it is the right decision for her and for me. If anyone has any advice on how to cope with this or if you have experience feel free to PM me.
It’s been great helping people and being helped on this website! Thank you all xx
Good luck, there is usually a good drama club at unis and definitely if she does get to Cambridge or do a mixed English and drama degree. Might actually be better odds for Oxbridge than GSA!! :-)
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Good luck to her,she can always go back to drama if she feels like it later on.
Of course there is always the Footlights!
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Very good luck to your DD. I can imagine it was not a decision that was easily made.

English Lit is a great subject to study and of course it will help her greatly if she decides to go back to acting at a later date. :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

She's chosen a different path. What a brilliant choice to have made. My dd loves performing but is just as passionate about English and has chosen university too. Good luck to your dd.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Fantastic idea actually. I did read last year somewhere that the odds of getting into drama school were worse than getting into Oxford or Cambridge. Cambridge has numerous big names (Wikipedia list 159!) who were part of the famous Footlights so there is plenty of opportunity to continue with your dd's passion.
All new to me!
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

In my ideal world (and at the moment we are about 8 years away from having to make the decision) I have always secretly hoped that DS will go to Cambridge and study a non drama subject and then join footlights - I think it is a brilliant idea.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Hey - I think you need to change the title of the thread. Your DD isn't giving up she's changing paths

She has a passion for English Lit and no doubt he love of acting has fueled that passion.

What an emotionally mature person she seems. Good luck to her
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I can emphasize totally with this - my DD has been dancing since she was 3 but a couple of years ago decided she would probably do A levels and go to university for a totally unrelated subject to performing arts. It was a very difficult decision for her , especially as she had already had a glimpse into life at a vocational college and professional dance as her sister had taken that route. But it really is not a case of giving up - just changing paths. DD has now applied for uni, science subjects but I noticed that for every open day she researched carefully the dance, drama and performing opportunities there. Dance wont be her career but it will still be a big part of her life. There are lots of drama groups at uni too, that are very active with regular performances so your DD will be still be able to enjoy it.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

DS also has decided he doesn't want to perform. After a couple of good years (in WE Matilda, lead in NYMT, Michael in WE Billy Elliot, and NYT), his voice broke. He tried to get screen work for a couple of years, had several recalls but never got the part and became frustrated - less with the rejection than with never being able to commit to other extracurricular activities - he couldn't even be in the school play because there were a couple of castings going on and he'd have had to drop out if he got paid work.

He's academic, so is enjoying A levels without the interruption and stress of castings. He'll apply next year to good universities to do History and/or English but he's also got into writing scripts. He was disappointed and surprised (!) when the BBC didn't immediately commission his sitcom pilot, but then wrote a play, which the school drama teacher liked and decided to put on with another play written by another pupil - on the same theme and using the same set (a car in a forest - the school bought a real car on ebay and took the windscreen out). They've never had an original work as the school production before. Each writer directed their own play, they sold out for three nights and are going to take the plays to other schools and to the Edinburgh Festival this summer.

I'm sure DS wouldn't have written his play without his drama experiences, and I don't that he will go on to write more and perhaps be involved in uni drama or am dram too. He also has confidence, creativity, the ability to set high standards and work very hard to achieve them, and to work well with pretty much anyone - all of which I know were helped by his performing years. At first I did feel a bit bereft at the loss of my 'Stage Mum' hat (I spent my childhood reading Noel Streatfeild books, but would never go on stage myself), but now I'm just proud. He hasn't looked back - he found the decision a huge relief and I feel a bit bad that without my enthusiasm and encouragement he might have made it a bit sooner.

Good luck to your daughter, and to you.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

What mature DC you all have. The more I see of the brutality of the performing industry, the more I think it's a huge, huge gamble no matter how talented you are. I think for actors/singers it wouldn't be too late to come back to it after university anyway if they felt so inclined. Realise that for dance that isn't so much an option. Talya B your DS sounds amazing. It's also nice to realise that there are careers within the performing arts world that aren't just about being a performer oneself. My DS is only in Year 8 and says he wants to perform, but he's quite artistic and loves DT too so I am gently encouraging him to think about set design as an option that would allow him to be around theatre people and very much part of the creative process, but (possibly? I don't know!) might be a little less precarious.
evielovestoast
Nominee

Post by evielovestoast »

I have a dd in her final year at Cambridge it really is the most fantastic place for drama and acting. Students write perform, write and direct the most outstanding plays at the ADC theatre, Corpus Playhouse the opportunities are endless and the talent is unreal. My dd not an actor but has been involved in publicity. She can study an academic degree and still enjoy theatre there.
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

My Dd has also changed her plans and wants a career with a ‘big salary’ (her words!) probably involving science.
I’m sure she will continue to perform in local productions wherever she lives and I think the training she has put in is not wasted- these kids have learnt how to work hard to achieve good results O:)
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments! Dd is delighted to be described as mature! Thanks to everyone on this site for all the help! Xx
RachB
Nominee

Post by RachB »

I know there are quite a few You Tubers who post stuff about their life and extra-curricula activities at uni - they offer some great insights into the range of activities that are available. There's a girl called Holly Gabrielle who regularly posts about dance at Cambridge (sounds like there's so much on offer) and I'm sure there are similar vlogs from those with an interest in acting/MT. Good luck for the new and exciting road ahead!