DDE qualification

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

DDE qualification

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi NAPM'ers. I'm looking for some advice re the new ISTD DDE qualification. DD's college are offering the new DDE for modern and ballet. However the cost is pretty steep at around £3k for modern. My dd hoped to do modern and tap but the college aren't offering tap at the moment. I understand that the new DDE qualification is replacing the old DDI/DDE but I'm wondering of we should wait and perhaps do modern and tap at another time somewhere else. I have checked the ISTD website but I can't really find much info about it. Does anyone know anything about it and is it worth having? Does she need both modern and tap or could she teach both with just the modern DDE qualification? Also is it worth shopping around, or should we just get it done and then she'll have something to fall back on. Sorry for all the questions any advise and info would be great. Thank you xxx
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Re: DDE qualification

Post by Katymac »

What new DDE
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

From what I understand if you want to enter students for exams you have to have the DDI/DDE in the individual genres. I know people who have struggled to finance this after leaving college.

I used to employ non syllabus dance teachers & found that those who had this qualification were generally well prepared teachers with a sound knowledge of how to teach (not always there was one terrible candidate once) but on the whole it got them an interview/sample class.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Katymac wrote:What new DDE
Hi katymac
Apparently the ISTD are changing their teaching qualifications from the existing DDI and DDE to one qualification which is the new DDE. I found something about it on the ISTD website but I had to really search for it and I cannot copy the link over.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

islandofsodor wrote:From what I understand if you want to enter students for exams you have to have the DDI/DDE in the individual genres. I know people who have struggled to finance this after leaving college.

I used to employ non syllabus dance teachers & found that those who had this qualification were generally well prepared teachers with a sound knowledge of how to teach (not always there was one terrible candidate once) but on the whole it got them an interview/sample class.
Thank you Islandofsodor.
I think we may bite the bullet and go for it. Xxx
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

I know Bird have gone straight onto this new DDE rather than DDI then DDE which should save time completing both.
My DD wants to teach as a back up but is not interested in exam work so is wondering if she could just do the DDE modern and teach all subjects but obviously could only then if needed to do exams in Modern.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

My DD has DDI in tap and modern jazz and teaches on Saturdays and Wednesdays at Bodyworks Cambridge and another dance school in Cambridge...and it fits in nicely when she is performing professionally too.
She does not enter children for exams and is pretty much given free range on what she teaches (although she does follow the ISTD syllabus to a point)

Its good to have as a back up qualification
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Thank you for all of your replies. It looks like DDs college may be able to offer tap as well now so I think DD will go for it. Once she's got the qualification she can always use it as a back up and it's so tough to get regular work i think it could come in quite handy. Plus I'm increasing my hours at work to full time so that will cover most of the fee. Decision made! Thank you every one Xxx