Dance question

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Dance question

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Hello all just looking for some advise from those of you with DC who are at the drama school stage. My DS is 13 and was put forward for scholarship at theatre school via his tutor, the school offered him a place after audition but not scholardhip as he doesn't dance. They have said lots of great things and given excellent feedback but keep saying he will need to dance if he wants to make it.

My question is, when they reach the drama school stage (age 18) do they expect them to dance? He wants to act and sing both of which he loves and is training in but he really isn't a dancer. I know this is way off for us but looking at places I can't tell if they need to dance and if they do it's something he will need to pick up now I'm guessing.
Thank you in advance xx
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dance question

Post by oscar »

My ds was just like yours and at 14 /15 was still basically a non-dancer. We found a local dance school , nothing fancy just something in a scout hut. He had jazz and tap lessons once a week and was fortunate enough to pick it up quickly. This really wasn't enough , as he had set his sights on a particular MT school so did a foundation year before being offered a place at his dream school. Standards at most places are very high , so being a strong dancer is an advantage . I would advise lessons in ballet , jazz, commercial and tap if you can. It's never too late to learn.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

If his main interest is drama, and he wants to be an actor who sings. Then I don’t believe he needs to dance at any serious level.
Being able to move well, follow direction is important and some basic dance ability might be helpful there. Even the Globe cast dance a jig at the end of each show and there is often a song or two in plays.
Musical theatre is different but if he’s looking at drama schools, then dance won’t be a prerequisite.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

riverdancefan wrote:If his main interest is drama, and he wants to be an actor who sings. Then I don’t believe he needs to dance at any serious level.
Being able to move well, follow direction is important and some basic dance ability might be helpful there. Even the Globe cast dance a jig at the end of each show and there is often a song or two in plays.
Musical theatre is different but if he’s looking at drama schools, then dance won’t be a prerequisite.
Also you can still do MT at colleges where they focus more on acting/singing such as CSSD and LCM.
Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Thank you all. He very much wants to be an actor, always has since he was 4!! He isn't much of a dancer and doesn't enjoy it. He's very focused on his drama, does weekend school where they act and sing but no dance and is also doing LAMDA.
It's just very hard being told he must dance if he wants to make it! With no experience of this all it's nice to have other lovely people to ask xx
Aliarts
Nominee

Post by Aliarts »

Adrianna1312 wrote:Thank you all. He very much wants to be an actor, always has since he was 4!! He isn't much of a dancer and doesn't enjoy it. He's very focused on his drama, does weekend school where they act and sing but no dance and is also doing LAMDA.
It's just very hard being told he must dance if he wants to make it! With no experience of this all it's nice to have other lovely people to ask xx
My dd is doing the BA Acting at ArtsEd. There was no requirement to be able to dance even though they do have one dance session a week. She had two years of classes during sixth form and is in the middle dance class but there is a whole class of students below her with no experience whatsoever before going to the school. I remember when we looked around other drama schools it seemed to be the same elsewhere.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Adrianna1312 wrote:Thank you all. He very much wants to be an actor, always has since he was 4!! He isn't much of a dancer and doesn't enjoy it. He's very focused on his drama, does weekend school where they act and sing but no dance and is also doing LAMDA.
I would be very wary of listening to anyone who is clearly not correct
Ignore them ;)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

I've had loads of students who have 'made it' as straight actors without any dance training whatsoever. MT is a totally different kettle of fish. If he hates dance, he would be better off learning accents, reading plays and enjoying live theatre so he can get as many ideas for improv as poss. Best of luck xx
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

You are doing the right thing by asking advice. We have all been told by someone one thing or another that at first we might either believe or fear if we don't do it ,they won't succeed.
Find out as much as you can,as others have said he can go somewhere that doesn't need dance but some sort of 'movement ' lessons would be beneficial ,maybe a jazz or street dance class.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

I would do a bit of research into places that he might be interested in training at one day. What sort of auditions do they run? It's very early days and plenty of time to pick up a few dance classes later if he wants. No point in forcing it if he isn't interested though. As people have said awareness of the body and movement is a part of acting so adding that sort of class in could be useful but there are lots of options - gymnastics, capoeira etc. It just adds some versatility but I wouldn't say it was necessary. Lots of people audition for acting with no dance training.
Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Thank you all, it really has been a massive help. I'm off to investigate drama schools x
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

Hi, I would also check which type of show/ performance your child would like to do. If they are straight acting roles that will help guide the type of training in the future. x
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

My ds did MT BA at Arts Ed and only had about two months of ballet lessons prior to that and got in so I really wouldn't fret about dance for acting courses. Some do have a movement element but you would not need dance training for that.
All new to me!