Leave home at 15?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Leave home at 15?

Post by Dodger'smum »

Please help...

OK, so, after attending an open workshop your ds is invited to audition for a great BTEC scholarship 80 miles from home.

He wants to go with every sinew in his body because of his passion and its reputation for getting students into arts ed and all the other ones beyond our means.

BUT he would have to
leave home
give up piano
dump his agent
leave his beloved dance school & singing teacher
leave the Notts TV workshop

What would you do ? We're genuinely torn and completely at a loss x
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: Leave home at 15?

Post by missmoneypenny »

It's a tough one, but a lot who are at my daughters school (EDA) do just this and they all seem to thrive a grow amazingly well. I think if you can find a good host family then it could work out really well - good luck!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I wouldn't for a btec (but we have a btec College in Staffs who fit that criteria) but Dd is hoping to go to a college approx 45 miles away for a Level 6.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Dodger'smum wrote:Please help...

OK, so, after attending an open workshop your ds is invited to audition for a great BTEC scholarship 80 miles from home.

He wants to go with every sinew in his body because of his passion and its reputation for getting students into arts ed and all the other ones beyond our means.

BUT he would have to
leave home
give up piano
dump his agent

I would go for it, especially if it's what he really wants to do.

Is it your fears that are the main concern? You say he has to give up piano dump his agent leave his beloved dance school etc. What is he giving up? He's potentially starting on a new chapter. I hope I don't appear rude, but the language used is very negative. Could he not find a local piano teacher. Doing dance as part of his course may well be enough. Maybe his agent can keep him on, if the college don't allow students to have agents whilst studying then maybe his agent may take him back when he's fnished

If performing arts is what he really wants to do and he's been offered a scholarship then they have obviously seen something in him. As you say they have a great reputation I would try to concentrate on the positives.

That said only you and your DS will know if he's mature enough to take the leap. Do make sure he gets a great host family (pretty sure at 15 the college would insist on it) and see what happens

Good luck
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

At some point in the near future your DS is going to have to:

'leave home
give up piano
dump his agent
leave the Notts TV workshop'

isn't he? Life changes - thankfully we don't stay the same or in the same place all our lives.

I would go for the audition - in our family we always say 'go for it ... there's no decision to be made until you're offered the place or part anyway' :D

Wish you all the best x
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Why does he have to dump his agent ?
My DS kept his agent when he moved out and started at Emil Dale
Also he’ll be moving on for different experiences,
They all have to eventually.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Why will he be 15? Are you talking him going when he finishes yr11. Even if he has a summer birthday and is still 15 when he sits his GCSEs won't the btec start in September.

Questions I'd be asking are 'is he mature enough to live away from home at this age?' 'Is this financially possible for us?'
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

Personally at that age I would encourage my child to go o a local college to do combination of btec in performing and A levels whilst keeping with piano and dancing outside of college. I'm pretty sure b techs are free for under 19 year old anyway. It's a lot to deal with at 15. If they are talented/ have the drive then offers will be there at 18 when they are mature enough to cope.
Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Post by Trundlemum »

Dodger'smum wrote:Please help...

BUT he would have to
leave home
give up piano
dump his agent

Hi Doger's Mum. My DS will be doing just that. He is currently 15 and has been offered a place on the 3 year diploma at Italia Conti. There is no way we can turn it down as it is what he's been working towards for the last 6 years and it's his dream! I have no idea how we're going to pay for it all at the moment and he needs to seriously brush up on his cooking and organisational skills but whatever happens we will get him there. Not sure if tht helps at all but we're in the same boat!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

itsalongshot wrote:Personally at that age I would encourage my child to go o a local college to do combination of btec in performing and A levels whilst keeping with piano and dancing outside of college. I'm pretty sure b techs are free for under 19 year old anyway. It's a lot to deal with at 15. If they are talented/ have the drive then offers will be there at 18 when they are mature enough to cope.

They are not always free, it depends who is offering it.
My DS left for a BTech at EDA, a private college with very competitive fees and he is having the time of his life, the development of skills and audition technique and pastoral support is second to none. He lives with a host family.

The local Btechs were not suitable for his standard, it had to be somewhere special to move him from A levels and for us to be spending money now when we were expecting the stress and strain in 2 years time, but we have absolutely no regrets.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi Dodger'mum
Congratulations to your DS! My only concern would be that if he is 15 when he starts the Btec then I'm guessing he would still be 17 when he finishes it? I may be wrong but I am under the impression that colleges such as Guildford, Mountview etc have a minimum age requirement of 18. If that is the case then your DS may be better to wait. It may be an idea to call the college's your son is interested in and check with them and then you can make an informed decision. Xxx