Impressed with a college but put off by it's reputation.

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Impressed with a college but put off by it's reputation.

Post by islandofsodor »

We attended the CDET careers conference yesterday. Dd got to participate in several classes & a seminar & we watched a showcase with most of the colleges present taking part.

Dd was very impressed with a jazz class she took part in. She said the teacher was excellent. Their piece inbthe showcase was very impressive too - as good as & better than some of the big names.

BUT

We are hugely put off by one aspect of the colleges reputation. They are associated with a particular thing they have taken part in which has by and large been universally condemned by the industry. It's everything we are against & we are concerned that future agents/casting directors will associate graduates of that college with the one thing.

(Dd didn't realise until we told her that it was this particular college)

My gut feeling is for her not to apply but she is wavering.
Theatreparent
Nominee

Re: Impressed with a college but put off by it's reputation.

Post by Theatreparent »

If you're talking about The one associated with a certain programme then my own personal opinion which is all I can give, is that my DS will not ever be considering it, I and he, don't ever want to be associated in any way by that.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I read your post intrigued and baffled, even googled, then I re=read again and lightening dawned. #-o

I was very probably one of the few (or even the only!) who did not take the same view as many others on here over it.

Editing and getting people talking about it by being 'controversial' are part of tv shows that are documentary or reality tv biased.

That you've gone and seen how good they are 'in the flesh' sort of proves that point. You're seeing what a producer wants you to and not the real thing.

Why not throw it in as a 'wild card' anyway?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Yes it's 'that one'

I don't know if the fact the jazz teacher chose a song from my daughter's favourite musical ever (that's not hugely well known especially in the U.K.) & indeed the very song she's doing for her audition dance solo influenced her. Plus the teacher singled her out to demonstrate things which boosted her confidence.

Also their showcase piece was one of dd's favourites too (& in her opinion one of the soloists was better than the singer on the Broadway cast recording)
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Interesting dilemma. My personal beef here is that despite the outcry after the first series they're doing another one. It's too easy to say it's fiction so just ignore it. The point is why are they doing it? If we're all agreed it's a load of tosh and not representative of anything close to reality I can only think it's for publicity and money which in itself says something.

Interesting that D&B never get a mention on here. Is that because no one's DC applies or goes there or because they're reticent to admit it?
klchaplin1980
BRIT Award

Post by klchaplin1980 »

D & B College is my daughter’s wildcard option based on the outcomes for students and opportunities given to them whilst training. I have watched ‘Stage School’ myself and whilst it is not a true representation of Performing Arts training there is nothing in it that offends me enough to discount it personally. The courses ahead of this option on my daughter’s list are all Level 6 Diplomas as she preferably wants a recognised qualification this time around as her foundation course does not include one.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

The thing we should all remember is that the college fell for the oldest media trick in the book, and figured that the programme would be good for them by focussing on their best attributes and the quality of their output and teaching, The programme producers of course always intended something different.

It happened to my old school in the Gene Vincent TV programme where he first went into a public school and introduced them to Rock, Kiss style. We all smirked at their quaint ways, very posh kids and strange attitudes and accents. The next season was at bog standard comp. The one teacher who worked it out distanced himself totally from the programme - the music teacher. The Head and senior management team fell for the thing hook, line and sinker. The production team were giving the kids a fiver and shooting them kicking the bins over, the best music students put forward were rejected in favour of a nice, but musically inept student. The school didn't work out how it would be edited and were shell shocked afterwards. They didn't really monitor it and it made the staff, the school and the entire student cohort look terrible. After it aired, early retirements and sideways moving staff were the result. The music teacher looking a bit smug, but deservedly so - the only person to work it out.

Personally - if she liked the college, she felt the course and the staff were good, then she should go for it. Casting people aren't stupid, and they all know what happened. The college were suckered, but that's the senior management's fault and doesn't reflect how things are. Most of my people in panto come from pretty common dance and stage schools, but this year we have one from a slightly different one. Good, but not in the top places to graduate from. She's still got a year to go, and the choreographer is perfectly happy with her standard compared to the 'usuals'.

The people who know, know. It's only the public who got taken in by the programme. A huge mistake for the college, and one they'll be living down for a ling time - but TV isn't real.
Theatreparent
Nominee

Post by Theatreparent »

So why did they sign up for a further run then?
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Theatreparent wrote:So why did they sign up for a further run then?
Precisely!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

because somebody thinks it is a good thing to do. I bet the staff are not so keen. Management rarely understands the things the staff deliver!

I suppose that some still equate exposure in the media with success?