Boys Dance Solo - Musical Theatre Extended BTEC 16+

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Boys Dance Solo - Musical Theatre Extended BTEC 16+

Post by Trundlemum »

Hi all, I'm after some advice. My son has applied to a few colleges/drama schools for the Musical Theatre extended BTEC course. Some of them have group dance auditions but a couple of them require a 1.5 minute dance solo. so, he has done a fair amount of dance in shows like Bugsy Malone and Joseph and has taken part in dance numbers in professional pantomimes but he's not a 'dancer' as such and his strength currently lie in singing and acting. He has done basic tap and ballet but my question is, where does he start putting this dancetogether? It's out of his comfort zone and any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Boys Dance Solo - Musical Theatre Extended BTEC 16+

Post by Robin64 »

hi, if he is 16 and applying for a BTEC at local college level then they are most likely just interested in seeing he is comfortable with moving and performing something. Just go with anything he feels happy with - a tap routine, some street with any tricks or short ballet/contemporary solo or just dance to his favourite pop or rock song. 90 seconds isn't too long so just show a bit of personality and enjoyment. If it is for auditions for somewhere a bit more difficult to get in then I will leave it up to the parents with sons that have auditioned to be more specific with any requirements. DD did the extended diploma MT and dance ability / experience was very diverse. A couple of the boys had done very little but they did enjoy learning. Your DS has already done a fair amount so I am sure they will love him!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Keep in mind that the standard of large numbers of the prospective intake are dreadfully low, so the audition system at many is not designed to prevent the good kids getting places, but to prevent the bad ones messing it up. I'm sure he will be absolutely fine - so many will turn up unable to do anything, others so lacking they can't read, or speak clearly. Others will believe they are dancers and discover they aren't. It's quite rare now to get turned away from colleges as long as they consider someone worth the go. Frankly, what they are looking for are people who will stick the course to the end so they can collect all the funding. A reliable mid-ranger is a better bet than somebody who is really good, who might suddenly dump the course if offered something better. Those people waste places!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Trundlemum, my DS is younger but has a similar issue. He is auditioning for a full-time performing arts school and has to do a short dance solo. He has some jazz and ballet training and has been in a professional show involving dance, but it isn't his strongest discipline and for various reasons we aren't in a position to have a dance teacher choreograph something for him. I have found several videos on Youtube which teach simple jazz routines - the videos break the steps down with the teacher filmed from behind, as if demonstrating at the front of a dance class. DS has picked one to use as a starting point and will add some of his own choreography. Maybe that approach would suit your DS?