Half term

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Re: Half term

Post by Fullmoon »

We were at the Open Day too. Similarly DD enjoyed the workshop and found the staff to be friendly and welcoming. However, like you Bub, I have concerns about the state of the building / the quality of the facilities available to them; poor quality flooring, no fixed ballet bars, low ceilings, minimal Library/ICT facilities etc. Although, all that said, I have to say we thought the quality of dancing was very good, so it can only be assumed that their training (thankfully) does not reflect their surroundings...
With regards to Ofsted. My understanding is they will no longer need to have one as they have lost/chosen not to offer DADA funding to new students (presumably because of their RI status). Instead they are going down the BA route and offering a BA in Dance as well as MT, with Student Loans available for the first £6K. I’m not sure / don’t understand what this means for the Level 6 Diplomas though, as they are continuing to offer these as they still have their Trinity/CDET accreditations. Without DADA funding though I’m assuming these would have to be self-funded?? Unless anybody knows any different/ I am not understanding it properly?!
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Sorry, just want to add...Since going to the Open Day I have read on here somewhere (can’t find it now!) that they might be moving to new facilities?! Does anybody know if that is true?! If so, that would be a complete game-changer and I think Millennium would go to the top of the list for my DD because, for me, the Ofsted is not as big an issue as the building.....
bub
Nominee

Post by bub »

Yes we wondered how they would be offering the level 6 diploma without any prospect of a dada? Change of premises definitely sounds interesting.
bub
Nominee

Post by bub »

hmm just read in the News Shopper that London Boro of Greenwich have approved plans to redevelop the area where the Millenium performing arts school currently is and a lot of the surrounding buildings.... the new development plans to have a cinema, 300 houses and a dance school? Doesn't sound too imminent.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Yes they are planning to move to new premises - in the next 1-2 years I understand. This I am sure will be disruptive in itself! Ofsted isn't looking good but DD is goig down the degree route so DADA isn't an issue. DD audition next Friday so I will keep you all posted
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Fullmoon wrote:Sorry, just want to add...Since going to the Open Day I have read on here somewhere (can’t find it now!) that they might be moving to new facilities?! Does anybody know if that is true?! If so, that would be a complete game-changer and I think Millennium would go to the top of the list for my DD because, for me, the Ofsted is not as big an issue as the building.....
Hello. My DD is in her first year at Millennium and they have been told that the new building will be ready for them in their 3rd year. Don´t know the exact location, just going on what she said.
bub
Nominee

Post by bub »

It is confusing re millenium move...local paper says whole area including current site to be 'redeveloped' . Sadly doesnt appear any improvements to be made on the current site then. Wonder where students will train between the current site being demolished and 'redeveloped.'