Sylvia young theatre school

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Lechia78
GRAMMY Award

Re: Sylvia young theatre school

Post by Lechia78 »

what is the difference between them and syts?
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

I think they all offer similar things xx SY is notoriously known as being hard to get into and has a fab reputation.. . But it may be a good idea to look at the others.. Barbara Speaks is another full time school...having said all that we loved SY x
Last edited by jasmine2 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Lechia78
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lechia78 »

I just had a quick look while I am sitting waiting to finish work (night duty) grrrrrrr lol. they seem more expensive then SY?
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Arts Ed fees are similar to SYTS. Students are accepted onto either the dance or the drama pathways, and the vocational curriculum is weighted differently for each pathway. Academics seem similar to SYTS, and they have their own sixth form. Not many boys in Years 7-11 (certainly fewer than SYTS). Prefer their students not to work professionally though some do.

Tring Park fees are very high for boarding but lower if students live locally and attend as day pupils (the school is to the north of London in Hertfordshire). Has a reputation for having somewhat better academics (or at least a broader range). Has its own sixth form. Recently introduced agency representation for students but located a distance from London so professional opportunities may be limited.

Redroofs I know less about other than that one of DS's friends is extremely happy there. They have an agency and are happy for students to work. Located just to the west of London.
Lechia78
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lechia78 »

Thanks for the breakdown. I feel syts is prob more suited to my boy and I have a good feeling about it,lol not that means anything. The more I think the more I feel it is right and really excited for this change! I love London but not sure about the weather though lol
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I know SYTS has a great reputation but it might be worth thinking about the fact that to my knowledge it only goes up to 16. You would then need to transfer for two years to another school before getting onto the BA courses.
All new to me!
Lechia78
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lechia78 »

Yes I will look into it, thanks
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter is at Hammond & everyone has to re-audition at 16 anyway. Some stay, some transfer. It's the same at Tring.
Lechia78
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lechia78 »

Thanks for that