Tring Park Sixth Form Auditions

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Beulah
Nominee

Re: Tring Park Sixth Form Auditions

Post by Beulah »

Thank you, didn’t know that!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Harry2003 that's what they told me today,no mention on audition day though.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Thanks but I'm still confused. A BTEC level 3(diploma I think the course is called) is equivalent to 2 A levels, an extended one is equivalent to 3, so is it a BTEC plus another A level (in anything?) they are offering or is it 'just' A levels, in which case where does the acting course come in?
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

Hi Lawn, the academic work, whether A levels or BTEC is covered between 8:15 and 1pm each day. For my DD who’s taking 3 A levels that’s split into 5 sessions each morning of which she has taught classes for 18 sessions and private study (frees) for 7 each week.
In the afternoon it’s 4.5 hours each day, ie 22 hours per week of purely vocational practice, on the acting course this includes dance and singing in addition to the different acting classes.
On MT I believe it’s a more equal balance of the 3 disciplines.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

I think you just have to think of TP as a school, not a college. It is geared up this way from junior up to senior level, half the day academic, half the day vocational. My DS has been at TP since year 10 and the format is the same in both parts of the school (preps up to year 9 do vocational and academics the other way round). They put a huge emphasis on academics, a very heavy selling point to persuade more reluctant parents that their child can get a great education as well as first rate theatre arts training. In all honesty, it’s a bit more relaxed that it appears. The Btec is a real help to the less academically focussed student, let’s face it, 3 A’levels and half a day of vocational training is hard work. There are strong academic subjects and less academic subjects available. The dancers do not even have to take A’levels at all if they don’t want to - this flips out the academic staff! But the dancers are working towards a level 6 diploma too.

If TP is right for your child it’s a fantastic school, but it won’t be right for everyone. It suits my DS perfectly but I’m not sure it will suit my younger son when it’s his turn to audition at 16.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Lawn at the audition day all they mentioned was A levels, they offer 20,most appear to take 3 subjects. I myself wondered what the performing qualification was,I spoke to reception today who told me it was a BTEC,but I stupidly didn't ask what level,it can't be a level 3 as = to 3 A's plus study for 3 A levels,it's too much for some.
. They said they were focusing on A levels as needed for university,I think there must be combinations,those academically able can do 3 A's plus BTEC,some can do 2 or 1 A plus BTEC. No mention of vocational school after 18
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

The upper 6th MT students are auditioning for Arts Ed, Guildford, Mountview etc, all the usual suspects. The drama students will be auditioning for RADA, LAMDA, Royal conservatoire etc depending on personal preferences. Of course some will want to try and get work and not go on to higher education.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Can anyone say whether there are scholarships (academic or vocational) for kids that would want to do 3 A levels plus Musical Theatre training? I looked on the website and could see mention of dance or music scholarships but not MT. I have an academic boy who is heavily into MT and making noises about wanting to do it post 16, but I would like him to get his A levels first. Can't afford Tring unless he got a scholarship - do they exist for MT? Or he might even knuckle down enough get an academic one if there was a Tring 6th form place as a carrot!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

There are bursaries outside of the MDS and DaDa funding. There are students at the school with a whole heap of differing financial help. It is purely based on vocational talent not academic. If you don’t try you don’t know what they may offer you.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

biscuitsneeded on the application form there is a bit you tick for MT. Go for it you never know!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks Harry and Lotso. It's a couple of years off for DS yet but it's good to know there may be possibilities.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I was actually told by the Head of Drama a few years ago that they no longer did the extended BTec as it took too much time up and that is why they do the other one. TP is a great school and leaves all doors open by providing a full academic education along side the performing training. My DD left after GCSE's (Harry2003 - must have been in the same year) and suddenly decided she wanted to go into medicine. TP had given her the education to follow that route. Older DS did the extended Performing Arts diploma at a local college before doing the BA at Arts Ed. He has had some fantastic contracts but the problem is the in-between periods when he needs to keep earning. He does not have the academic side which does narrow your options. He has now trained as a Personal Trainer and is back up and running but it is worth thinking about the academic side just as seriously as the performing side and TP is great for that.
All new to me!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Caroline A-C wrote: My DD left after GCSE's (Harry2003 - must have been in the same year) and suddenly decided she wanted to go into medicine. TP had given her the education to follow that route.
Oh, that’s interesting! So glad she found her passion and hope her A’level Studies are going well.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Yes, I can understand th bTEC extended takes up too much time. My DS does it in a different subject, he's at college 16 hours (though he was breaks within that) and assignments on top. It would be too much with several A Levels as well.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

biscuitsneeded DS is going to the boys open day at Tring this Friday so will ask as many questions as poss if that helps-my DS also wants to do A levels and MT there and our part-time teacher and archeology wages don’t cut it!