Tring Park Sixth Form Auditions

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Beulah
Nominee

Tring Park Sixth Form Auditions

Post by Beulah »

My DS will be auditioning next month. Does anybody know what form the academic assessment takes? Also, any idea how many applicants per place? (Acting course).
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Re: Tring Park Sixth Form Auditions

Post by Caroline A-C »

My DD went to Tring until the end of GCSE's so can only comment on the academic test for that part of the school. It was more designed to see where to place the children academically rather than to select on academic ability. It would make sense that the sixth form process is similar but perhaps somebody on here could clarify more. Good luck to your DS.
All new to me!
Beulah
Nominee

Post by Beulah »

Thanks for the reply, he’s a bright lad but anxious about the assessment. He said himself it’s probably the bit he should be least worried about! How is your DD getting on? I’m assuming she left Tring after GCSEs, where did she go? Hope it’s working out well and she’s happy. We’re looking at various options for DS, there’s nowhere decent he can do vocational training within commuting distance of where we live, and we’re keen for him to do A levels and vocational training combined if possible. We’re also looking at Arts Ed and Hammond, for that reason. I’ve just “discovered” CAPA in Wakefield and am looking into that. It’s still too far for him to commute but “only” two hours drive. He’s not a dancer so is looking at the actor/singer route. We’ve had to rule out anywhere that only does MT, like EDA, for that reason. Any other suggestions gratefully received... thanks.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Have just private messaged you.
All new to me!
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Beulah wrote:Thanks for the reply, he’s a bright lad but anxious about the assessment. He said himself it’s probably the bit he should be least worried about! How is your DD getting on? I’m assuming she left Tring after GCSEs, where did she go? Hope it’s working out well and she’s happy. We’re looking at various options for DS, there’s nowhere decent he can do vocational training within commuting distance of where we live, and we’re keen for him to do A levels and vocational training combined if possible. We’re also looking at Arts Ed and Hammond, for that reason. I’ve just “discovered” CAPA in Wakefield and am looking into that. It’s still too far for him to commute but “only” two hours drive. He’s not a dancer so is looking at the actor/singer route. We’ve had to rule out anywhere that only does MT, like EDA, for that reason. Any other suggestions gratefully received... thanks.
For Actor/Singers you could look at Central School of Speech and Drama, and London College of Music.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

lbm1e14 wrote:
Beulah wrote:Thanks for the reply, he’s a bright lad but anxious about the assessment. He said himself it’s probably the bit he should be least worried about! How is your DD getting on? I’m assuming she left Tring after GCSEs, where did she go? Hope it’s working out well and she’s happy. We’re looking at various options for DS, there’s nowhere decent he can do vocational training within commuting distance of where we live, and we’re keen for him to do A levels and vocational training combined if possible. We’re also looking at Arts Ed and Hammond, for that reason. I’ve just “discovered” CAPA in Wakefield and am looking into that. It’s still too far for him to commute but “only” two hours drive. He’s not a dancer so is looking at the actor/singer route. We’ve had to rule out anywhere that only does MT, like EDA, for that reason. Any other suggestions gratefully received... thanks.
For Actor/Singers you could look at Central School of Speech and Drama, and London College of Music.
Aren't Central and LCM for 18+ rather than sixth form?

OP - There's also LIPA sixth form, but I don't think they do A levels as well. My daughter has her heart set on CAPA, it's still a commute but not too far for us. From looking at their prospectus, I understand they are going to offer 4 courses, drama, MT, dance and production and will do the BTEC in whichever plus 1 A level. From what I understand CAPA are currently via 'dance' biased, but I'm guessing that will change when they offer more courses. If they had closed, then the option for us was to look at York College, which has a good performing arts reputation, but I don't know how much dance is in their MT courses, but they offer a straight acting one as well. Children from my DD's drama class have attended both these colleges and speak highly of each of them.
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

Hi, my DD has just started the sixth form acting course. The audition process was really positive,and very encouraging. As others have said, the academic exercise is to see if there are issues that need supporting, rather than a test to check their level.

At DDs audition there were around 15 external students auditioning on the day, and there were several audition days for each discipline, plus separate internal auditions for current year 11 students. This year there are around 20-25 students on the acting course (sorry I cant remember the actual number).

Its half term this week, so DD is at home. If you have any questions, please Pm me and I will get DD to answer.
Beulah
Nominee

Post by Beulah »

Thanks so much for the replies.

We looked at the CAPA prospectus last night, liked what we saw. We’ll also have a look at York as you suggest.

Thanks also to Justaphase, that’s very encouraging. I’ll pass your message on to DS.

I’ve only just registered on the site (been lurking a couple of months). So much useful information, and so many kind and generous contributors. It’s great to have a community of parents to connect with, who are experiencing similar issues/concerns/joys with their DSs and DDs.

Thank you!
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

lawn wrote:
lbm1e14 wrote:
Aren't Central and LCM for 18+ rather than sixth form?

OP - There's also LIPA sixth form, but I don't think they do A levels as well. My daughter has her heart set on CAPA, it's still a commute but not too far for us. From looking at their prospectus, I understand they are going to offer 4 courses, drama, MT, dance and production and will do the BTEC in whichever plus 1 A level. From what I understand CAPA are currently via 'dance' biased, but I'm guessing that will change when they offer more courses. If they had closed, then the option for us was to look at York College, which has a good performing arts reputation, but I don't know how much dance is in their MT courses, but they offer a straight acting one as well. Children from my DD's drama class have attended both these colleges and speak highly of each of them.
You're correct I think lawn. Wasn't paying attention to the overall thread. Just homed in on the "not a dancer" bit :D
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

Just popping back to say hoping all goes well for your DS at his audition.
Beulah
Nominee

Post by Beulah »

Thanks, it was last week, he had a good day, got on well with the other auditionees, and enjoyed the experience. Felt he’d done his best, but he’s really unsure whether he’ll get in. The group workshop was much shorter than he expected so he couldn’t guauge how he compared to the others. Anxiously awaiting results now!
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

Agh, sorry I was late.
Crossing fingers for you/him that he gets an offer
Beulah
Nominee

Post by Beulah »

Thanks so much, he loved it there, and felt very comfortable. DH and I believe he would flourish in that environment. He’s got to get some funding though, we can’t stretch to the full fees, so we’re hoping beyond hope he gets invited back for a scholarship audition in March!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Beulah mine is at an MT audition as I type, not sure what to make of it during introduction by head,they seemed very keen to make sure we all knew A levels are involved,only 15 places for MT,so very competitive,again like you hoping for a scholarship audition.,they let you know fairly quickly 10 days or so.Good luck.
nicnacnoo
Nominee

Post by nicnacnoo »

My daughter was also there today for MT audition. Seems very academically focused. Was surprised they did not have an interview with any of the candidates. Only 8 or 9 there but wonder how many days of auditions they hold. When we were leaving the receptionist told us it may be 2 - 3 weeks before we hear but the head did say around 10 days so we will just have to wait and see. :lol: :? :x