Tring Park Sixth Form Auditions

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: Tring Park Sixth Form Auditions

Post by lotsolaffs »

"You may sit" how odd was that?! Yes,very academically focused, my DD loved it but with only 15 spaces available,funny how much you find out after you have paid the audition fee!
Beulah
Nominee

Post by Beulah »

The vocational training seems of a very high standard, the showcase at the open day was absolutely superb. There are other places that provide great vocational training but what really sets TP apart is the strength and breadth of the academic offering. 3 A levels are expected of the Acting students, there are 23 subjects on offer, and I get the impression that only students who are academically very able would cope with the demands of the sixth form there. It won’t be for everyone. We’re still waiting to hear back, my DS is as keen as ever. Good luck to all who’ve auditioned this autumn.
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

TP students work very hard, it’s long days. Assembly is at 8am, followed by 5 50 minute academic lessons. Then lunch. After lunch it’s 3 1.5 hour vocational classes, then dinner at 6:30pm, finally prep until 8pm.

Anecdotally, the students often do more rehearsing after hours, particularly in the run up to auditions or shows. The teaching staff are often still around later too. DD has had several meetings at 8pm with various teachers.

The academic results are superb particularly given that there are no minimum requirements for taking A-level classes. I can only comment on the classes my DD takes, the teaching across the subjects is excellent. What we have also noticed is that the spec is chosen to complement the vocational work, eg in history they will be studying the witch trials across Europe and America. Great source material for budding actors!

But it’s not for everyone. Locally the BTEC is delivered across 3 days. It is the equivalent of 3 A-leaves for university entrance. However, for our DD as a (hopeful) actor TP and A-levels are a better preparation for drama school, and life afterwards.
nicnacnoo
Nominee

Post by nicnacnoo »

Trying to work out if my daughters audition went well. Strongest singing but was only asked to perform only one song. Think about 3 out of the 9 auditionees were asked to sing second song or repeat song they had sung. Any insight into this?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

nicnacnoo wrote:Trying to work out if my daughters audition went well. Strongest singing but was only asked to perform only one song. Think about 3 out of the 9 auditionees were asked to sing second song or repeat song they had sung. Any insight into this?
I can't answer specifically to Tring Park, but when this has happened with my DD at auditions it's because they were satisfied that they had seen her capabilities enough and she didn't need to do anything further. It's been a positive thing rather than they weren't asking again because they though she was hopeless and they didn't want to endure anymore. :lol:
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

My DD did two ,she said all were really good,I suppose you can't read too much into these things,we would go mad!
She said one boy did 3,the first one in another key,she said he was brilliant so more of a good thing than bad,but again who knows?
nicnacnoo
Nominee

Post by nicnacnoo »

Thanks Lawn, She has an offer for Performing Arts at Italia Conti :D She is delighted about that. We will wait to see what Tring say but I think the decision has been made :D
Lotsolaffs do you know if we are getting informed by email or actual letter? If the Head was correct that would be Friday (10 days) but if the receptionist was correct in her 2-3 weeks I guess we have a bit longer to wait! :?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I was wondering that myself,I know they have more auditions planned so may well wait for those. Do you think everyone that applies gets an audition?
I just think that surely there can only be a few spaces left by now if they allocate as they go.
nicnacnoo
Nominee

Post by nicnacnoo »

I don't know if everyone that applies will get an audition. I was wondering that. I thought it was strange there were only 8 or 9 of them on one day. Just not holding our breath as so few places. Guess we will just have to wait and see. My daughter loved it when we went for the open day but did not get the same good vibes on audition day. Academic focus seems intense! Very glad we did not apply to ArtsEd after the open day there - my daughters friend went and said it was an awful audition. They did dance first then kicked out the people that were not up to scratch there and then, :shock: then did acting and kicked out more etc etc So if your weakest thing was dance they never had the chance to show anything else. :shock:
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

DD had a January audition so was probably the last audition, but when she went to the scholars auditions, it seemed everyone had heard 2 weeks after their audition, by letter. And all sent out at the same time.
From DDs group I think 3 were offered places (via DD so may not be totally accurate) But not necessarily a scholarship audition.
HTH
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I thought Arts Ed 6th form auditions wernt until February.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I thought Arts Ed 6th form auditions wernt until February.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

7 audition days and up to 20th February at Tring,not all dates full yet. I can't see how they can do more that 10 per day,they wouldn't be able to fit everything in. I expect we will never find out what's what!
nicnacnoo
Nominee

Post by nicnacnoo »

Thanks Justaphase. Islandofsodor - don't know date Arts Ed audition was but did not sound a very positive experience. We were not that keen on Arts Ed after the open day so did not apply there. Lotsolaffs how did you find out that info re audition days? Is it on the website?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Nicnacnoo yes on their website,under apply,then auditions and how to apply.Dates are all shown plus scholarship date in March.