Is this commonplace ?!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Is this commonplace ?!

Post by paulears »

One of my dancer friends has kind of fell into the position of offering work of all kinds to her dancer friends, primarily via Facebook, and her posts always are size based. Need two size 8s for a well paying job in Essex tomorrow, or I need a six 14 for a photo shoot tomorrow in central London. She asks for the size, her FB friends respond. No question about anything else - the size is the critical thing to go forward.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I guess it depends on the type of work you are looking for. There are plenty of jobs out there where they will ask for a specific size - but they tend to be more photo shoots, promotional work where costumes are required, childrens parties like the princess parties and one off corporate events. They often look for performers - singers and dancers. Vast majority for theatre, stage tours, cruise ships etc do not mention a specific size - though 'slim, toned, in good physical shape' appear a lot. Open auditions I suppose they can easily dismiss those they do not want and invite only auditions it is common to have to send off a showreel in order to be invited so I guess that although companies might not advertise specific sizes they can easily disregard any that do not fit what they want.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Just finished one and starting another dance show. One has all their people a very consistent size, and the other has a variety of shapes and sizes. Catchment area about 15 miles apart, and very similar towns. Selection is rarely fair.