Auditioning for degree 2018?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Auditioning for degree 2018?

Post by Scarytimes »

Hi,

Is anyone out there? I see lots of posts from people whose DD/DS are thinking of doing diploma route at age 16 but it has been very quiet from the post-A level/BTEC group.

To me, it feels very different looking at it two years further on as there are different opportunities and different concerns for parents as well as lots of the same worries and practicalities

My DS is this age and looking primarily at London colleges so far. I would love to hear from others in a similar situation.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for degree 2018?

Post by dancemom43 »

My DD has just started degree this September at Bird. There were about 8 times as many applicants for degree than diploma as the funding option is good there as course £9250 and you get the full student finance where some places if private you only get £6000 of perhaps a £14,000 fee
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Scarytimes wrote:Hi,

Is anyone out there? I see lots of posts from people whose DD/DS are thinking of doing diploma route at age 16 but it has been very quiet from the post-A level/BTEC group.

To me, it feels very different looking at it two years further on as there are different opportunities and different concerns for parents as well as lots of the same worries and practicalities

My DS is this age and looking primarily at London colleges so far. I would love to hear from others in a similar situation.
Have you read through 2017 thread? you will get lots of useful degree / diploma advice. DD will be trying for a degree for 2018 as she didn't get one offered last year. Won't audition until Spring though.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

We are just starting applications for 2018 entry mix of diploma and degree for Laine, Performers, Urdang, Millenium and maybe a couple more classical ballet based. My dd will be 18 and is doing a level 3 extended diploma in dance and performing arts at Harlow college. The course is very professional with lots of industry professionals teaching. She also dances at her local dance school every eve - so all very full on and doesn't have much time so I am researching and initially sorting the whole application process. Is it necessary to have professional headshots done? Also is it acceptable to request preferred audition dates on application form?
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Hello

Headshots aren't needed but a few of them ask for photos in a couple of ballet poses, so it's worth checking out what you need for what because they all vary slightly. As for asking for dates, we did and for one we asked for a different date and there weren't any problems. I think as long as you ask in advance and there are still spaces available, they will change it for you. Best of luck!!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Belledancer wrote:We are just starting applications for 2018 entry mix of diploma and degree for Laine, Performers, Urdang, Millenium and maybe a couple more classical ballet based. My dd will be 18 and is doing a level 3 extended diploma in dance and performing arts at Harlow college. The course is very professional with lots of industry professionals teaching. She also dances at her local dance school every eve - so all very full on and doesn't have much time so I am researching and initially sorting the whole application process. Is it necessary to have professional headshots done? Also is it acceptable to request preferred audition dates on application form?
You need 2 ballet position pictures for Bird and it's always handy to have a few "passport" size pictures I think but I don't think anyone asks for professional headshots. If you are applying for any through UCAS get the personal statement done as it is a bit fiddly getting it under the right amount of words etc You also need a reference from dance teacher for some places. There are some pre audition workshops / courses available. DD went to one at Laines which she enjoyed although decided not to apply there. A few places probably run them.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Thanks everyone - DS has applied to some similar places and so far have needed personal statements of different lengths for everything, mostly just a passport-sized photo/head shot but one needed ballet poses and I can't even remember which. It is a bit of a blur already!

Good luck everyone
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Belledancer wrote:We are just starting applications for 2018 entry mix of diploma and degree for Laine, Performers, Urdang, Millenium and maybe a couple more classical ballet based. My dd will be 18 and is doing a level 3 extended diploma in dance and performing arts at Harlow college. The course is very professional with lots of industry professionals teaching. She also dances at her local dance school every eve - so all very full on and doesn't have much time so I am researching and initially sorting the whole application process. Is it necessary to have professional headshots done? Also is it acceptable to request preferred audition dates on application form?
Have you heard back from Laine with an audition date?
I thought their application form was confusing as it said - note these dates, then a blank set of boxes!

DS wants to audition after end of Novemeber, but I had heard that they audition only in the holidays so we might as well press go now, but I'm not sure if that was true. Anyone know?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

A friend of dd's has an audition for Laine in December just before the end of term.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Yes - I am also finding Laine confusing - all the others on DD's application list offer the audition dates on their websites. My dd is keen to do Laine after Christmas so guessing February half term - it would be helpful if they could advise of their dates. She is doing the Audition Support day on November 19th but don't want to leave it that late to send off application.
She is also doing doing the Pre-Audtion Course at Urdang. Other open days all attended last year and courses for her favorites all done last year. Just completing photos and UCAS statements and then will be ready to start sending applications off.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Scarytimes - could you let me know what date you get back from Laine?
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

My dd has just checked with two of her friends who have just started at Laine and they both auditioned in March last year so not sure about that school holiday auditions only?
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi Belledancer
Each college has different requirements regarding photos and personal statements. Some also require a solo dance and monologues and songs are different lengths too. The college's my dd applied for did not require professional photos but she was required to send passport stye photos and a few ballet poses for most auditions. However I searched through each college website and wrote down exactly what they required. Once I knew what each college required I then arranged the photos, references, and dd cut her personal statement to varous lengths required for each college. It is a tricky process getting everything together (especially waiting for references) but it's not too bad if you keep organised. Good luck to your DD. Xxx
Edited to add that we popped a note on dd's Bird application and asked for a particular data and they gave it to us. Also if you are sent a date which isn't right for you then the college's will do their best to change it for you. I know that last year laine put a list of dates on the website for info only and they sent the audition date through after they received the application.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Thank you beanie-bean - seems I am more organised than I initially thought as it was all a bit daunting - think we are ready to go! Interesting to hear that you seem to have done the ground work - what a fab Mum you are - I too have had to do most of the research and paperwork as DD is just too busy juggling college/dancing and learning to drive etc so a 17 year olds life in general to trawl through all the college websites!!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Hi
We went through all this last year so just a couple of points.
Try to space out auditions as you can concentrate on what is needed for each one as different requirements. Be organised and double check you are turning up with the correct length / type song etc...
DD had an audition on 6th January which thought was a good idea as had Xmas to get organised but forgot would be not doing much exercise during this time and eating more than usual and when did audition was lacking energy so perhaps bear that in mind.
Just take each audition one at a time and try to enjoy as more likely to do well.
Parents try to be supportive and bite your tongue when DC is stressed before an audition and drops their best red lipstick down the loo !!
Enjoy and Good Luck x