Auditioning for degree 2018?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

ajbew
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for degree 2018?

Post by ajbew »

When DS was applying (he is now in his 3rd year at Mountview so three years ago now) he sent all his forms off early and his Laine audition was at the end of October (I think it was half term though) so they can come through quickly. On the other hand, my neice applied later and they didn't have dates left. She had to go on a reserve list although did eventually get a date so I would leave it too late either. Also, don't worry too much about personal statements as they go on what they see on the day. for all the ones DS applied for (ArtEd, Mountview, Laine, Bird, Urdang and London Studio) you pay for the audition so everybody gets one and they will judge solely on what they see/hear on the day. They also seem to be good at letting you rearrange. Bird had two boys audition dates, both of which clashed with a panto he was in, so they let him go to one of the girls' dates. It didn't do him any harm as they offered him a place on the day. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone for this year.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Thanks everyone for all the advice - especially about being calm when they are freaking out - not that we have got there yet, but I'm sure even my laidback DS will be snappy on the day.

I'm glad others have said that they were initially confused by the mixture of requirements - I am beginning to think they do it on purpose as there are so many different lengths of monologue and song plus date requirements!.

Belledancer, I'll definitely let you know when we hear from Laine. I can't wait until it is all sorted and we know what trains and hotels to book.
He has just been offered 12th Dec - which seems to be just after the end of term for diploma students.

Ah I see on their Website now under term dates:
Auditions Monday to Thursday 11-14 December 2017
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

Does anyone have any advice when to apply to these courses by . If I get it all done in the next 3ish weeks will that be time enough ?
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

That is plenty of time. Some people dont apply until February / March. Be careful leaving it that late though as I know some schools the cut off to apply for a Dada is February. People on current foundation courses wont apply till late to get the most out of their training. We preferred to be early and had auditions in December / January
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Don't forget GSA do auditions around the country so you can do one a bit closer to home if you don't live near GSA. We did Birmingham. The recall is at GSA and it is a full day.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

scottishdancer00 wrote:Does anyone have any advice when to apply to these courses by . If I get it all done in the next 3ish weeks will that be time enough ?
Plenty of time. The deadline for UCAS is in January, although i think most people like to get their applications in a few weeks before that. One tip though..Make sure your DC is audition ready. The earlier you apply the quicker your audition can come through. Someone i know applied to Arts Ed early and was auditioned within a couple of weeks of applying. Ok, if you're ready, but if you still have monologues and songs to learn you'd obviously need to postpone. Good luck.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

bop2thetop wrote:
scottishdancer00 wrote:Does anyone have any advice when to apply to these courses by . If I get it all done in the next 3ish weeks will that be time enough ?
Plenty of time. The deadline for UCAS is in January, although i think most people like to get their applications in a few weeks before that. One tip though..Make sure your DC is audition ready. The earlier you apply the quicker your audition can come through. Someone i know applied to Arts Ed early and was auditioned within a couple of weeks of applying. Ok, if you're ready, but if you still have monologues and songs to learn you'd obviously need to postpone. Good luck.
Totally agree with bop2thetop. Get the preparation done as soon as possible. Get a folder together with expectations for each audition and make sure all aspects are completely ready and prepared. There is very little quarter given for lack of audition readiness. DD said some people forgot words which didn't go down too well at some auditions. Also be ready for the cold and sore throat season - if it seems bad then ring and postpone as soon as you can. DD had to do GSA with a cold and missed her last note, luckily she got a recall but she missed Central audition due to illness and ended up not doing it later which she regretted.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Eek - Dd had a short day at college today so had some spare time to send off applications for Urdang, London Sudio Centre and Laine - it literally took hours! 3 more to tackle over half term. It all seems a bit real now !