Chichester Triple Threat.

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Re: Chichester Triple Threat.

Post by lbm1e14 »

kzgirl wrote:May I just point out I am commenting from our and DD experience, I was just so sad to keep reading that Uni's are not giving students what the performing arts colleges are. I just wanted to let people know that from our experience this isn't the case. I should also like to say that University is also a lot less money again from our experience than a performing arts college. I don't think that University should be written off for Musical Theatre like a lot of people appear to do. This is just from what we have experienced. We also found when our son went to UWE in Bristol to do product design his contact hours was around 30 per week. Which courses only give around 10 hours a week contact time?
As pointed out by Pandora II it is very common with academic degrees. I have two children who can vouch for that and they went to Uni over the last 5 years until this July. 6-8 hours of lectures and a couple of hours of tutorials is not untypical. Also my partner works in a Uni so I know for a fact it is pretty normal.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Oh gosh yes so true. When my Neice went and did a maths degree I was shocked to find she only had 12 hours contact time. It was so little, I wondered why she was living away from home. The place was commutable for the Tues-Thurs 10-2 she needed to be there for. A teacher since she graduated, so has always hit the threshold for paying back, she said this year that she's yet to pay back one penny that isn't interest and I'm not against student finance, I would prefer mine to have it, but it was an eye opener to me how small contact time was.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

I know that University won't be for everyone, this post was all about our experience and to get across to others not to just right a Uni off for Musical Theatre.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Absolutely kzgirl, it helps so much to hear everyone's views and differing opinions and whether they go to a PA college or university, it's what they do with their time there that matters. If they are determined to succeed and work as hard as they possibly can, they'll have more chance of succeeding, wherever they go. Also, their happiness and well-being is equally important and it seems like your DD couldn't be happier at Chichester, so she made the right choice for her. I wish her all the best and let us know how she gets on.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

I did drama at uni - won't say how many moons ago :-$ I had a fantastic time and worked on shows every term as part of the course. We virtually lived in the theatre or rehearsal rooms and I got practical experience in every aspect of backstage work, designing, sound, lighting, directing and performing. It wasn't a musical theatre course however, so the only musicals done were with the amateur dramatic group. I can't comment on how things are currently run but several actors and at least one producer that I know came out of it all.