oyster card

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

oyster card

Post by Robin64 »

This may have come up before but can't see anything specific to this issue with a quick browse. Can anyone clear up a query I have regarding the oyster card 16+ zip card which says Londoners aged 18 can also apply if they are in full time education (not at degree / diploma level). If they are living in London for the course does that mean they are classed as a Londoner and that they can apply?

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/t ... his-page-2

3/4 way down page says this

anyone applied and got one?
Thanks
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: oyster card

Post by 2dancersmum »

I believe that although you apply online for this you have to go to a post office to get it completed/approved and for this you need to ID to prove both age and address and you need a letter from the school/college to say that you are still in full time education. Age and proof of residence should be easy to demonstrate so I guess this will come down to the college and course. It only talks about level 3 qualifications but we all know that in the world of performing arts there are also foundation courses which always seem to fall into a grey area.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Robin64 wrote:This may have come up before but can't see anything specific to this issue with a quick browse. Can anyone clear up a query I have regarding the oyster card 16+ zip card which says Londoners aged 18 can also apply if they are in full time education (not at degree / diploma level). If they are living in London for the course does that mean they are classed as a Londoner and that they can apply?

Thanks
Hi
Is this for Bird foundation ?
There is a link on transport for London that you apply on line then print off the form and produce ID at a Post office. My DD did it in Sidcup and did not even need to get Bird to do any paperwork and got the card within a few days. I believe all foundation students were emailed by Bird telling them they could apply ?
x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

dancemom43 wrote:
Robin64 wrote:This may have come up before but can't see anything specific to this issue with a quick browse. Can anyone clear up a query I have regarding the oyster card 16+ zip card which says Londoners aged 18 can also apply if they are in full time education (not at degree / diploma level). If they are living in London for the course does that mean they are classed as a Londoner and that they can apply?

Thanks
Hi
There is a link on transport for London that you apply on line then print off the form and produce ID at a Post office. My DD did it in Sidcup and did not even need to get Bird to do any paperwork and got the card within a few days. I believe all foundation students were emailed by Bird telling them they could apply ?
x
Hi thanks yes it is. We didn't get that email if they did (or DD didn't see it) I spoke to TFL and they confirmed they should be able to get it at foundation level. Should be able to get it sorted this week then. Thanks for the replies x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

dancemom43 wrote:
Hi
x
Hi How old is your DD - we were told that as our DD is 18 on the foundation she can't get the Free Travel 16+ card but apply for the reduced rate 18 card
Which did your DD get?
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Munchpot wrote:
dancemom43 wrote:
Hi
x
Hi How old is your DD - we were told that as our DD is 18 on the foundation she can't get the Free Travel 16+ card but apply for the reduced rate 18 card
Which did your DD get?
she is 18 - I called transport for london and they said if its full time and not degree level then they can get the 16+ zip oyster for a year as long as 18 on 31st august - print off online form and take to PO with ID and proof of address. DD said some people had asked at college and were told they couldn't have the form signed but dancemom43 says they had an email about it? As far as I know they should get it - I tried to email Bird but my email is down today and won't send. Might get her to do what dancemom43's DD did and just take it to the PO without form first, if it doesn't work she can go to Bird with form.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

"Londoners aged 18 on 31 August who are still in full time education can also apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard that allows free bus and tram travel"

free bus and tram and child fare on trains I think
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Munchpot they use buses most so that would be good - how come you couldn't get it?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Robin64 wrote:Munchpot they use buses most so that would be good - how come you couldn't get it?
Thanks
My DD has had an Oyster for years,but was told by the college that Foundation is not considered Full Time Education - I will try again though
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

I think Sidcup Post office must be so used to it they never asked for any proof of what college or course. My DD also 18
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

You have to provide proof of address so she took her signed tenancy agreement, passport and driving licence.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Munchpot wrote:
Robin64 wrote:Munchpot they use buses most so that would be good - how come you couldn't get it?
Thanks
My DD has had an Oyster for years,but was told by the college that Foundation is not considered Full Time Education - I will try again though
Course works out at 40 weeks which is counted as your main address if you live somewhere for 40 or more weeks and they are in full time every day but I have not had any reply on number of hours the course is officially - anyone know?
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

dancemom43 wrote:You have to provide proof of address so she took her signed tenancy agreement, passport and driving licence.
dancemom43 wrote:I think Sidcup Post office must be so used to it they never asked for any proof of what college or course. My DD also 18
Thanks, very helpful x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

DD has just been told by college they won't sign the form as the Foundation is not considered Full Time Education fir the scheme (She can get the 18+ card but that's not free travel)

She's on her way to Sidcup Post Office with the form and ID to see what happens
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Munchpot wrote:DD has just been told by college they won't sign the form as the Foundation is not considered Full Time Education fir the scheme (She can get the 18+ card but that's not free travel)

She's on her way to Sidcup Post Office with the form and ID to see what happens
How did she get on ? I know of foundation students that had it last year