foundation course housing benefit

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: foundation course housing benefit

Post by dancemom43 »

Was it the full amount believe £84:27 per week ? They originally offered us lower due to work
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

dancemom43 wrote:Was it the full amount believe £84:27 per week ? They originally offered us lower due to work
Yes that sounds right amount. DD told me on the phone and think that was it. Relief!!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

We had to supply pay slips etc to show DD only does odd shift when she is back home.
Here we go again
Nominee

Post by Here we go again »

Well done. Worth all the effort in the end.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Robin64 wrote:With a cheque attached - so there you go - they ARE entitled to it!! Thanks guys for the support.
=D> =D> A job well done!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

jennifer1972 wrote:
Robin64 wrote:With a cheque attached - so there you go - they ARE entitled to it!! Thanks guys for the support.
=D> =D> A job well done!
Thanks! I hope it might help others because obviously DD was hoping for a degree place last year but only got a foundation offer. For anyone in the same boat a little bit of support for the accommodation might just make it doable. Please also note that DD is in halls of residence and this is also allowed for HB. Other people's experiences on the forum really helped me keep going. The foundation is great and fingers crossed something will come up this time round.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

So pleased you got it sorted. Just annoying took both of us over 3 to 4 months to sort with the council.
Good look with your DD auditions -keep us updated. xx
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Well done for not giving up. It’s a good job you could afford to pay DD rent while waiting for the council or she could have been evicted. Good luck to your DD in her auditions.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Really pleased with the result Robin64 =D>

Out of interest do you have to be over a certain age to be able to claim? (gathering info for the future)
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

lawn wrote:Really pleased with the result Robin64 =D>

Out of interest do you have to be over a certain age to be able to claim? (gathering info for the future)
Thanks. I think it might be 18 but I am not 100% so if you need it for 16-18 it would be worth checking that.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

kzgirl wrote:Well done for not giving up. It’s a good job you could afford to pay DD rent while waiting for the council or she could have been evicted. Good luck to your DD in her auditions.
Thanks, yes we got a loan to cover it but its very unfair for people to wait so long plus the fact it was straight out refused first application and I has to appeal which some people might not be confident about doing.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

lawn wrote:Really pleased with the result Robin64 =D>

Our friends daughter was 16 when she first started to receive it
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Hi all. If lucky and get Housing Benefit when on a Foundation Course, can we parents still also get Child Benefit to continue. We are only just within bracket to receive it, but not sure if we'd still get CB or not - maybe someone out that can let me know if they continued to get. Thanks
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Hi
Will your DC be 18? If so it goes on their income not yours. If they are 16 (which I guess they must be if you would still be getting CB) I am not 100% sure whether they then ask about your household income. You do have to say how the student will support themselves for the foundation eg savings, part time job (mustn't be over 16 hours per week). I know other NAPMers have had DC 16 and applied so they might be able to help. The HB forms have a section on benefits.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Robin64 wrote:Hi
Will your DC be 18? If so it goes on their income not yours. If they are 16 (which I guess they must be if you would still be getting CB) I am not 100% sure whether they then ask about your household income. You do have to say how the student will support themselves for the foundation eg savings, part time job (mustn't be over 16 hours per week). I know other NAPMers have had DC 16 and applied so they might be able to help. The HB forms have a section on benefits.
My DD will be 16. We are funding the course, not on any benefits but do receive child benefit, at the moment!! I will apply for Housing Benefit when she has accommodation sorted but just wondered if a Foundation Course was considered education that CB is still applicable. The CB Office wasn't much help - are they ever.