What do people mean by "scholarships" for performing arts courses?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

What do people mean by "scholarships" for performing arts courses?

Post by Scarytimes »

Hi all,

I've joined as DS is coming into his audition year (ideally for degree) and I'm keen to hear about audition plans and tips from all you experienced Mums (and presumably some Dads!).

I have a beginners question about scholarships, as I think this is the only way he is ever likely to be able to go to performing arts college!

We aren't badly off, but there is no way we could afford the kind of fees places like Laine, Arts Ed and London Studio Centre charge even with student loan (or DaDA) help. There seems to be a gap of anything from £5,000 - £15,000 if you consider accommodation costs in London on top of fees.

I was hoping against hope that somewhere likes him enough to offer a place AND a scholarship but then I realised that I only had a hazy idea of what a "scholarship" would give him!

Has anyone here been accepted for a degree course and then been offered a scholarship? If so, did the college top up to cover the fees completely and just leave you with maintenance to find? or was it just a small amount to help?

[Just to add - I've no illusions about how hard it will be to get in, so this is just wishful thinking]
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Re: What do people mean by "scholarships" for performing arts courses?

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi Scarytimes.
Scholarships are given at the discretion of the college to the auditionees that they feel show the most talent/promise. The colleges use their own money so they can give these to who they like and they are not usually means tested. They can range from a fee reduction to a full scholarship for the diploma courses. However for the degree courses i understand that scholarships may be offered but these would usually be to cover the difference in the fees and the student loan. For instance Urdang sometimes award scholarships to cover the £3k difference between the loan and cost of the course. I know that LSC offer means tested bursarys to cover upto £3k of the difference but their website states that they do offer scholarships throughout the audition process. I think the best thing would be to check out the college's websites as they should give more information. I have heard of a boy that was offered money towards living costs but it was on a diploma course and i think this is quite rare however as the college use their own money for a scholarship they can award it how they like in theory. I hope this makes sense. Good luck to your DS and I wish him all the best. Xxx
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Many thanks.

The college websites are very vaguely so I guess it is all at their discretion, but it is good to know that some people do manage to get the degree loan top up - there is hope ;)

I think we will just go for the auditions as well as he can and see what happens.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Just to add that I think boys are generally more likely to be offered scholarships than girls, particularly at places like Bird.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

At dd's school there are not enough DaDa awards to go around everyone who is offered a place so they also offer a certain number of scholarships as well. They ar ususlly a percentage off the fees.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

islandofsodor wrote:At dd's school there are not enough DaDa awards to go around everyone who is offered a place so they also offer a certain number of scholarships as well. They ar ususlly a percentage off the fees.
This is very true of lots of places..worth asking the ones you are thinking of auditioning at. :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Thanks everyone. Sounds encouraging enough to try anyway.
Shabby
BRIT Award

Post by Shabby »

May be worth being honest too, my ds was asked at his audition if he could afford full fees, he said no - and was offered a scholarship :D (could have backfired though)
Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Post by Trundlemum »

Is it possible to receive a partial scholarship and a DaDa?
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

A handful of colleges offer the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation Scholarship which covers full tuition fees but is means tested. However, I do know somebody who was awarded this and was not financially struggling so not sure what exactly they mean by means tested. DADA's are good but I believe they only help if your household earnings are below a certain amount. I know some people who were at college with my DS actually took a gap year to work and raise funds to put towards the cost of the course. Lots of kids work at weekend/evenings to fund too. However, DS's college said that working any more than three evenings a week would have an effect on their college studies so that needs to be considered. When DS auditioned it was pre means tested DADA's and they did tend to be offered to those auditioning earlier and by the time DS auditioned (last audition of the season!) he was told they had all been taken but he was on a waiting list. Not sure that is how things operate not. Where there is a will there is a way! Good luck and hope things go well.
All new to me!