Sixth Form and future training when?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Sixth Form and future training when?

Post by gingerbam »

Hi
I still feel like I am new to this, my daughter is nearly 12 and due to go to high school this year. She is going to a regular school as we are in the North
none close by and cant afford a fee paying school, plus she is not ready to leave home (I think)
So my question is when did you and your parents look at six form college/post high school training and then degree or drama school place. I don't want to be caught napping on this as she has been saying for years that she wants a career in acting & MT.
TIA
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Sixth Form and future training when?

Post by dancemom43 »

Hi
Probably no need to start looking at post 16 training till around age 14. You don't say what training you DC is having now ? Take it they are member of a dance school and drama group ?
Some dancers leave home at 16 but a lot especially MT it's more 18
X
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I started thinking about college and 6th Form when my DD was in Year 9 and she is about to go in to Year 11.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

dancemom43 wrote:Hi
Probably no need to start looking at post 16 training till around age 14. You don't say what training you DC is having now ? Take it they are member of a dance school and drama group ?
Some dancers leave home at 16 but a lot especially MT it's more 18
X

Thanks, yes she is doing dance, drama, MT some amdram and Lamda, some months very busy. A lot quieter in the holidays but she is doing some local summer theatre/dance school. Not as much drama as I would like but I keep my eye out. I am conscious that dance is her weakest area as she is not flexible and does not stretch as much as she should .
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Whilst you have time it's good to be aware of weakness rather than just doing what enjoy as that is what could let them down. I know with my DD it was ballet so spent 18 months working a lot on that. Obviously schools like Urdang and Bird are looking for strong dancers but other schools like GSA its more actor singers. The summer schools are fun and a great way to check out the schools and standard of other students.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Interesting post and responses, hope nobody minds me asking my own question. I have a DS who wants to do MT (at 18 I think). He's stronger at acting and dance, can hold a tune and is confident about singing solos but I wouldn't say his singing was his strongest skill. He sings tunefully and can belt quite well but it's not a voice that gives you thrills, if you see what I mean. He will obviously work on his lots before he starts auditions. He's already got his eye on Arts Ed at 18 but I realise this is a very ambitious plan! Could anyone advise on other schools that would be suitable? I have a feeling Urdang and Bird may be a bit too dance-focused, as he really wants to act too. Where else should he be considering?
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

biscuitsneeded wrote:Interesting post and responses, hope nobody minds me asking my own question. I have a DS who wants to do MT (at 18 I think). He's stronger at acting and dance, can hold a tune and is confident about singing solos but I wouldn't say his singing was his strongest skill. He sings tunefully and can belt quite well but it's not a voice that gives you thrills, if you see what I mean. He will obviously work on his lots before he starts auditions. He's already got his eye on Arts Ed at 18 but I realise this is a very ambitious plan! Could anyone advise on other schools that would be suitable? I have a feeling Urdang and Bird may be a bit too dance-focused, as he really wants to act too. Where else should he be considering?
GSA and Mountview are considered I would say equal to Arts Ed and as hard to get into but certainly for GSA you have to get through the singing round first.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks. I am just trying to get my head around all of this. Am I right in thinking that if it's a degree as opposed to a diploma then you would be eligible for a loan for tuition fees? GSA looks great too. Are the high A level grades required indicative of a depth of academic study, or just a way of pre-sorting the large numbers of applicants?
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

biscuitsneeded wrote:Thanks. I am just trying to get my head around all of this. Am I right in thinking that if it's a degree as opposed to a diploma then you would be eligible for a loan for tuition fees? GSA looks great too. Are the high A level grades required indicative of a depth of academic study, or just a way of pre-sorting the large numbers of applicants?
GSA follow the rest of the Uni and you have to have the grades. A Btec extended diploma level 3 with a distinction I believe also gives you enough points.

GSA is £9000 and the tuition loan covers this but as slot of schools like Arts Ed and Mountiew are private you can only get £6000 and some of these places charge £14,000 so you have to find the shortfall each year x
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

That's so helpful, thank you. Is there anywhere else like GSA that's not private and would be covered by loans? And does its status as part of a university explain why it's so sought after - because so much more affordable than alternatives - or is it also one of the best courses? DS is keen on Arts Ed because he knows people who go there, but if similar quality training can be had at some universities that changes things, because we aren't in an income bracket that could find huge fees easily. I'm worried about some university courses (from what I've read on here) not leading graduates to get agents or work afterwards but I think GSA doesn't fall into that category. Are there more we should be considering?
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

biscuitsneeded wrote:That's so helpful, thank you. Is there anywhere else like GSA that's not private and would be covered by loans? And does its status as part of a university explain why it's so sought after - because so much more affordable than alternatives - or is it also one of the best courses? DS is keen on Arts Ed because he knows people who go there, but if similar quality training can be had at some universities that changes things, because we aren't in an income bracket that could find huge fees easily. I'm worried about some university courses (from what I've read on here) not leading graduates to get agents or work afterwards but I think GSA doesn't fall into that category. Are there more we should be considering?
GSA was a stand alone school but joined the Uni a few years ago. It is run independent and is seen as one of the top schools. Problem is about 3000 people apply for 30 spaces.

The only other schools I know where tuition fee loans cover the cost are Bird, Hammond and Conservitoire of Scotland.

The other option to look at is a diploma course with a DAda which is means tested
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Be careful with GSA. Due to their affiliation with the University of surrey, they ask for [high] grades at A2, so if your S is academic, and will be doing A levels, he will have to get at least 2 A grades. This scenario has caught many students out.
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

Another few that are covered with the student loan and worth considering are Central, London College of Music and Trinity Laban. Also maybe worth a look is Chichester Uni. They may not be seen as high as Arts Ed and GSA but teaching standards are very high (even some of the same teachers) and they still have agent showcases.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thank you all - so much helpful info. I did note the high entrance grade requirements for GSA! But good to see there are other places where the tuition is covered. One last question - does anyone know the income thresholds for Dadas? We are two working parents so we're not really struggling as such, but we have pretty 'normal' jobs and incomes, DC at state schools etc. I suspect we would fall just in the middle where we wouldn't be eligible for much, but paying tuition fees on top of living expenses would be a big stretch. Hence the attraction of schools where loans can be obtained!
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I always seem to bang on about this GSA grade thing, but I have first hand experience of somebody who was offered a place, but did not get the grades. They would not budge. Harsh when you consider that most red brick unis would allow a slight drop in grades.