Bird and London studio centre??

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

DPB
Nominee

Bird and London studio centre??

Post by DPB »

Hi I'm new to this site my daughter has been at Bird on the foundation course and is on the reserve list to do the Degree in September, not had the phone call yet but she has got into London studio centre on the Jazz course does anyone have any useful information for us we have friends who's children are or have been at Bird but don't know anyone at LSC, at the moment she's holding out for Bird but I'm getting a bit worried and thinking we should be book accommodation etc
Thank you for any advice xx
afab
GRAMMY Award

Re: Bird and London studio centre??

Post by afab »

Hi, I have 2 DDs at LSC. What would you like to know? There is a LSC thread here, isn't there? If not there is one on the Balletco forum. Let me know what you need to know...
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

And again...
http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php? ... ent-218280

Happy reading! Message me if you need more!
DPB
Nominee

Post by DPB »

Thank you I think LSC sounds amazing but she's worried about the cost and she's on the shy side so doesn't like change, I'm sure she'll be ok as she's very determined and I'm sure we'll find the money, I've worked out that I will just use all my wages to pay the extra!!
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

My DD has also just finished her 2nd year at LSC and is loving it! The end of year show was amazing! She's going in to the musical theatre company in third year and her singing and dancing has dramatically improved!
I think the college gets over looked at times but I don't know why as the training is excellent and their graduates do really well!
It's a very friendly college as well!
DPB
Nominee

Post by DPB »

It's sounding more and more like the place she should go to, is there any way of finding out more about accommodation as she doesn't really want to go into halls and she was in halls last year so feels she wants to rent with others but obviously doesn't know anyone x
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

My DD privately rented from the beginning - she didn't fancy the hall's equivalent! LSC set up a freshers page and she got together with 3 other students through that - other years also post if they have spare rooms going! It was a bit stressful as we live 21/2hrs from london but we only had to make one trip to visit the 1st house she rented and also met one of the other girls. The others she met when they moved in!
The 2nd year 3 of them moved into a flat where they are staying again this year - it's only bout a 5 min walk from the college, but there are plenty of properties to rent around there!
My DD didn't know anyone when she started- tbf most of them don't - but they all have a shared interest and passion where ever they train! I was more of a nervous wreck for her!
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

princess1 wrote:My DD privately rented from the beginning - she didn't fancy the hall's equivalent! LSC set up a freshers page and she got together with 3 other students through that - other years also post if they have spare rooms going! It was a bit stressful as we live 21/2hrs from london but we only had to make one trip to visit the 1st house she rented and also met one of the other girls. The others she met when they moved in!
The 2nd year 3 of them moved into a flat where they are staying again this year - it's only bout a 5 min walk from the college, but there are plenty of properties to rent around there!
My DD didn't know anyone when she started- tbf most of them don't - but they all have a shared interest and passion where ever they train! I was more of a nervous wreck for her!
Similar experience for DC. She met one of the girls on visiting the flat with the agent and met the other two when she moved in. They hooked up through the college closed FB group. It all worked out well with only one change at the end of first year. One girl moved out and another one from her college moved in. Chances are they won't like everyone they live with in first year but they can shuffle around.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

My dd was seriously considering LSC and like your dd she was on the bird degree wait list. The facilities at LSC are excellent, and we loved the location. We attended 2 open days and the spring showcase and we were very impressed. We didn't enjoy the graduate jazz showcase as much but dd's dance teacher came with us and said that she felt the standard was good and the students were all ready to go off and get work. For us it's just very expensive and there wasn't much info provided regarding the bursaries of up to 3k they award bassed on household income. When my dd was offered her place she was added to the freshers page and I think there were lots of students looking for housemates on there. She's removed herself now, but your dd should have been sent an email from Sarah (the admissions lady) with a link to join it. Wishing your dd all the best. Xxxx
DPB
Nominee

Post by DPB »

Thank you she's had a look for the link but can't find it on any of the emails, she's still holding out for Bird and doesn't want to think about what happens if she doesn't get in where as I am, she was the same last year about Bird not really thinking about things until they happened and everything turned out ok so I should just trust her, I just want to be organised x
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

DPB wrote:Thank you she's had a look for the link but can't find it on any of the emails, she's still holding out for Bird and doesn't want to think about what happens if she doesn't get in where as I am, she was the same last year about Bird not really thinking about things until they happened and everything turned out ok so I should just trust her, I just want to be organised x
As your DD was at Bird does she have any idea how many get in during the last month e.g. August ? I know a girl who got the call on A level results day last year
Aplo
Nominee

Post by Aplo »

I know of someone who three years ago got a call from Bird with a place on the degree in the second week of September (she was three days in to a completely different uni course and immediately left it)