Full time training 11-16... Italia Conti, Sylvia Young

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

esmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Full time training 11-16... Italia Conti, Sylvia Young

Post by esmum »

My daughter attends a state secondary school - we moved when she was 2, so that she could attend this very highly rated state school. We took on a massive mortgage to do this. Then we found out she is passionate about singing, acting and dancing. In that order ha! She really wanted to go to SY after we had attended Summer schools in the years from 8 - 11. We could never have afforded it and also, workwise was impossible. Now she is 14 - do we regret it or feel she has missed out? Absolutely not and I wish I had this foresight when she was 11. She has always attended part time stage school and continues to do so. Also, like the other person commenting, holds her own in holiday courses with vocational school students. In the past 18 months she has had 3 lead roles in local productions and as part of the Musical Theatre International at The Curve Leicester, was chosen by the adjudicators as an allstar. Also had a part in a National Theatre Connections Play. I do believe her dancing is weak as there is genuinely no time to squeeze it in as Singing and Acting the focus. This is not an advert for my daughter haha - but just to show that there is so much locally around all of us that can support a child truly passionate about the Arts. And for us, quietly continuing to train, while attending a free state school has been the best thing for her and us so far. I may be saying something very different if she had won a full scholarship. We did try :D
MaddyMoo17
Nominee

Post by MaddyMoo17 »

With the post in mind about having any doubts I asked her today "so when you go back to school in September, mummy needs to book in some extra private lessons to prepare for your audition, if you would rather not try for Conti and go to X school round the corner just have a think over the summer and let me know as I don't want you spending extra time preparing for an audition if you're not sure you want to go as your spare time is so precious" without even hesitating she said "no definitely book the privates I'm auditioning" so I guess that answers the question and the rest will have to wait and see what happens in November!!
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

Definitely worth a shot - we only tried SY. Lots of other places, Redroofs would be our choice if money had been no worry when she was 11 - whatever will be will be - Good Luck!