SNAPCHAT WARNING

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

theMTAonline
BRIT Award

SNAPCHAT WARNING

Post by theMTAonline »

Hi all
I appreciate that this isn't a training issue (& I've posted it elsewhere on NAPM too). . .however please be aware that if your child is using Snapchat, the app just brought in a new thing called Snapmap - which is already automatically working as part of the app. Here's the most to the point article that I could find on it for you: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/02/opini ... index.html However if you don't want to read it - just ensure that your child is in ghost mode (which keeps their location/activity safe).

Remember it doesn't matter how many times we tell our young people not to just befriend anyone on social media - they won't be listening to us. So at least sound 'savvy' by insisting that this feature is turned off.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Re: SNAPCHAT WARNING

Post by lbm1e14 »

I was talking to our theee about this yesterday and this is potentially very dangerous. They were telling me various stories of how this has caused problems for friends of theirs. They showed me precisely where a number of their friends were as we were talking. It is a huge invasion of privacy, on top of the obvious stalking concerns.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks for posting this, I had not heard of it before. How sinister! Why would anyone think this is a good idea for an app feature?!
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

Embarrassingly having shared it with you guys. . . I suddenly realised that I'd failed to 'warn' my students and grads about it. Too many scenarios where this could get your child in trouble methinks