BA MUSICAL THEATRE COURSE FOR SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rhymie
BRIT Award

Re: BA MUSICAL THEATRE COURSE FOR SEPT 2018

Post by Rhymie »

Harry2003 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:09 pm The entry year will be a whole lot of varying standards as the students have come from such diverse backgrounds. The talented students will always get a place somewhere, they may have to wait a year, they may have to do a foundation year, they may just get straight in with multiple offers. What matters is how they cope with the training and how they apply themselves. There are not enough theatre jobs for all the talented professionals but hopefully they will all benefit from doing something they love, with like minded people.

Some schools are more dance focused others more drama focused. You have to know where your child’s talents are and accept they will not be suitable for every school.

I have 2 boys. One dancer who is currently at Tring the other more a singer/actor who will be going to do a BTech at our local college before auditioning at 18. The younger one flat out refused to dance as was too bothered by the agro he got from school peers. He realised at his audition for ED that his non dancing had really let him down and got me to find him a local dance teacher. He now takes Jazz and will get dance on his BTech. Will he ever be a dancer? NO WAY, he left it far too late (not a natural like his brother). And we will have to be careful where he auditions at 18. It may be he isn’t talented enough to get in anywhere, only time will tell. I know one thing for sure, he LOVES his singing and acting. They have made him the open, confident, personable young man he is today. He struggles at school as he has dyslexia but the performing arts has made him realise he has something to offer and life is not all about academic success.

Whether either of my boys performs professionally really does not bother me at all. They have had a fantastic childhood, done amazing things, met great people and are confident well adjusted lads. They will find their way in life as I am sure all your fantastically talented children will too. Let life take its course and drink wine!
Maybe straight acting BA courses would be better for him? my DS is at Bristol Old Vic and singing is a major part of the course, as is stage combat and some dancing, but the focus is acting and singing. Look at places like Mountview, Central, LAMDA, Guildhall, BOV, Royal Welsh and even Rose Buford. That way he can do some MT without it being too dance orientated but can also cover film, TV, traditional stage etc.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

That’s great advice Rhymie thank you. They are all on my list! We have spoken about pure acting but he said he would miss singing too much, so the fact that there is alot of singing at BOV would be perfect.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Harry2003 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:56 pm That’s great advice Rhymie thank you. They are all on my list! We have spoken about pure acting but he said he would miss singing too much, so the fact that there is alot of singing at BOV would be perfect.
The top acting school all do singing as a core part of the BA, its part of voice training and part of teaching them to be as skilled as possible. His day starts at 8am with Lamaze movement training and then its a full schedule until 5.PM and then practise after hours. He works at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, combat training, period dance, acting, singing, voice, dialects, screen work, voice overs etc are core to the qualification. In my experience (which is 4 years of auditioning! ) all the acting schools I listed, but in addition RCS, GSA, East 15 (although they have 150 kids so its harder to get individual attention and signing an agent is more competitive because of that) Drama Centre, RADA, LAMDA, Central, BOV, Royal Welsh (wonderful school) all focus on singing as a core to the BA. I hope that helps but happy to answer anything specific.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Caroline A-C wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 pm Wow! I was not meaning my comments to cause such a problem. I was merely saying what the situation was for my DS when he got his place. He was told on the day that he was "trainable". He has worked continuously since graduating in 2014 both in the West End and touring so his lack of dancing previously did not hold him back. I did not mean or imply that those who had a lot of dance training would not get in or had wasted their money. I thought I was trying not to put those off who felt they had not taken enough dance training. I apologise for upsetting people.
Hi Caroline don't leave. You haven't upset anyone and I don't think anyone meant you to feel upset - it is just a discussion. For my part I just wanted to highlight that it is a little different for girls just due to numbers. The lads at college know it and the girls aren't annoyed about it. It's just the way it is. A well trained boy is certainly giving himself every chance but there's a bit of leeway with dance especially if a boy is good in the other disciplines. In reality a girl needs to have a good standard of dance. Not necessarily years and years of lessons but I would aim for at least intermediate level (even if exams not taken) in ballet jazz and preferably tap too.
It is helpful to have everyone's experience on here.
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Caroline A-C wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 pm I also did not say that they were brought to the same standard after a year - they were just not divided according to ability. I am really quite upset with this situation and think I will not come on again.
Hi Caroline A-C,

I am not upset and I hope what I wrote has not upset you. I am very confused by all the performing arts training and constantly worry about the whole situation and whether I’m doing the right thing. All the comments on here are really interesting and all the different views are extremely useful. I feel really bad if you were not to come here again. We are all really busy and sometimes there is not enough time to write perfectly crafted comments - that’s my excuse, anyway!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I hope No one sets out to upset anyone, we are all adults are we not? And post different opinions and approaches.
Personally I do get fed up with certain situations and decisions in this business, it’s unfair and irrational and we all know it is!
it’s nothing personal and this is a forum where we should be able to voice an opinion about other posts
You can all have an opinion on my posts, I really don’t mind! I put them out there and I own them. Agree or disagree with me...I don’t mind.
For me, as the parent of a boy who has an incredible work ethic and has slogged for years honing his craft, to see other lads and this IS a general observation before anyone else takes anything personally, just bowl up with a wing and prayer and grab places without half his ( or some of the other lads on his course) experience annoys me, and I won’t apologise for that. It’s happening now and it likely will always happen. The colleges take who they want , their perogative.
Most of my friends have girls hoping for places, the pressure they endure is hideous, they are overlooked, underestimated and sometimes not even watched at audition because they don’t catch the eye or their look isn’t “in”.
Of course none of our children are the finished article, they are all trainable and that’s the whole point isn’t it?
However frankly it does pee me off when kids are taken onto triple threat courses who haven’t put the hours in, unlike so many others who have but who don’t stand a chance of obtaining that converted top place.
Good luck to those who do get these opportunities, why not?
That’s the performing life, we sign up for it and we know it’s going to happen but that doesn’t make it any easier does it?
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Hi Riverdance,
I agree with you that the colleges do take who they want to take. I do feel however that when you talk about boys being accepted who have less "experience" than your son you really mean less talent.
Many, many young people work for years to hone their skills etc. You may not agree that they deserve a place, but for a variety of reasons they have been given one. Good luck to them.
It is all about opportunity. Not all kids have the opportunity to audition for places in NYT, NYMT etc. Neither do they have agents. Many who are successful at audition for the likes of Arts ED, do. They have been able to build on their experiences, but surely there should always be places available for the kids who are "trainable", rather than the finished article.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

jaybeeyellow wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:34 am Hi Riverdance,
I agree with you that the colleges do take who they want to take. I do feel however that when you talk about boys being accepted who have less "experience" than your son you really mean less talent.
Many, many young people work for years to hone their skills etc. You may not agree that they deserve a place, but for a variety of reasons they have been given one. Good luck to them.
It is all about opportunity. Not all kids have the opportunity to audition for places in NYT, NYMT etc. Neither do they have agents. Many who are successful at audition for the likes of Arts ED, do. They have been able to build on their experiences, but surely there should always be places available for the kids who are "trainable", rather than the finished article.
Your feeling is wrong , It’s not talent, it’s ABILITY at the time of auditioning and that comes with experience . And I did say that no one is the finished article and all are trainable. This isn’t my own axe to grind, my DS has the place he wants , he’s been lucky , but many of his friends and peers and particularly his female peers have no such offers despite their training and current standard of performance. I’ve watched them so can say it with confidence, but I’m not a college, just an appreciative audience member,
There’s no point in me repeating myself it’s bores me \:D/
Having an agent has nothing to do with it, what type of advantage does that give you when auditioning for a school? None that I can see. In fact many youngsters who do very well as a child performer struggle to continue in the adult world.
I’m not going to comment anymore as I really don’t want to be misconstrued, and I have no idea what a college is looking for, I am only giving voice to the frustrated parents I have spoken to through this process and are not on this board. I also don’t want the debate to be personal which is the turn it is taking.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

When DD auditioned there were examples of offers to students on their look / type over how good they were for sure. It's that thing we have discussed before about them "casting" a cohort. I think this is more likely when they take a smaller amount of students.
She just thought there were other people at a certain re-call who didn't get picked and really stood out as excellent whereas the ones who got it at the end of the day had a look.
That is part of the reality of auditions.
Sometimes it is just luck or timing. They already have someone of your look.
Slim white girl with a long ponytail? Hundreds / thousands auditioning. Fabulous talented hard working girls.
It can be frustrating.
Try a few different colleges & choose some that take bigger cohorts or be prepared to try more than once if you have set your heart on one place. Also pick a really good monologue - maybe something unusual and a song that shows character especially if you are one of those girls. Really work on making your mark.
I am trying to be honest here and none of it is about dissing anyone or sour grapes.
Better to know the score going into it.
Riverdance I like a post with an opinion - keep em coming. Happy for people to disagree with me - it makes it a lively debate. No-one take any of it personally. It's a good forum.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

The argument about girls v boys, experience v no experience and looks will always pop up x I just went to my dd’s first public performance at The Hammond and I was very interested to see how different everyone seemed. The type of songs they had chosen and the different tones of voice, characters they all had x It was great to see they weren’t all pretty long haired slim girls. Even the boys were quite different. What I loved was how supportive and friendly they were to each other, even with other students clapping them out of the changing rooms after the performance x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Marissa wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:31 pm The argument about girls v boys, experience v no experience and looks will always pop up x I just went to my dd’s first public performance at The Hammond and I was very interested to see how different everyone seemed. The type of songs they had chosen and the different tones of voice, characters they all had x It was great to see they weren’t all pretty long haired slim girls. Even the boys were quite different. What I loved was how supportive and friendly they were to each other, even with other students clapping them out of the changing rooms after the performance x
Yes but this is what I was saying! They are not all "pretty long haired slim girls" those girls who have often trained and worked hard for years probably have the toughest time standing out.
I guess I was just trying to say that sometimes a no doesn't mean a never just not this time so don't give up or feel discouraged at audition time.
Anyway nice to hear Hammond is going well Marissa. They sound like a lovely supportive group. My DD has found that at Bird too. So nice that they are happy and loving it.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Marissa wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:31 pm The argument about girls v boys, experience v no experience and looks will always pop up x I just went to my dd’s first public performance at The Hammond and I was very interested to see how different everyone seemed. The type of songs they had chosen and the different tones of voice, characters they all had x It was great to see they weren’t all pretty long haired slim girls. Even the boys were quite different. What I loved was how supportive and friendly they were to each other, even with other students clapping them out of the changing rooms after the performance x
Is she part of the group doing the Collabro & Brendan Cole shows?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Robin64 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:01 pm
Yes but this is what I was saying! They are not all "pretty long haired slim girls" those girls who have often trained and worked hard for years probably have the toughest time standing out.
I guess I was just trying to say that sometimes a no doesn't mean a never just not this time so don't give up or feel discouraged at audition time.
Anyway nice to hear Hammond is going well Marissa. They sound like a lovely supportive group. My DD has found that at Bird too. So nice that they are happy and loving it.
Lol I’m not arguing with you I’m echoing you xxx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

islandofsodor wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:58 pm
Is she part of the group doing the Collabro & Brendan Cole shows?
Yes she was picked for the group of 32! I’m so chuffed for her and have booked my tickets for Collabro x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It’s ds’s birthday and too far to take him on a school night and not fair to leave him on his birthday. (Although one of his school friends is obsessed with Collabro and can’t believe her friends sister is singing with them and is angling for us to take them).