BA MUSICAL THEATRE COURSE FOR SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

BA MUSICAL THEATRE COURSE FOR SEPT 2018

Post by GDADSTAXI »

I'm new to the forum to apologies for any silly questions.
My Granddaughter is looking various establishments to do BA In MT. We have studied the usual GSA / Trinity / Arts Ed, possibly Central which has an Acting course with an MT bias.

Would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the above and any others. I appreciate places at the above are massively over subscribed, so am also looking at other "ordinary" Unis although contact hours seem nothing like as good
Would also appreciate peoples views on Hammond, I hear mixed reports from one extreme to the other.

Apologies for so many questions
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: BA MUSICAL THEATRE COURSE FOR SEPT 2018

Post by islandofsodor »

I have a view on Hammond in so much that my daughter is a Lower School student there and a family member teaches on the degree and diploma course. My daughter is now herself looking at potential diploma and degree courses for the future as she will leave Lower School next year.

The degree is more of a singer/actor course with dance whereas the diploma course is either dance with some singing/acting or a triple threat course but with a very high standard of dance. The standard of singers entering the degree course is very high.

In terms of contact hours I raised this with a member of staff at a recent open day. The timetabled hours are far in excess of what is advertised & I siad to them why are you not advertising this more. The same teachers teach the diploma and the degree students. It is a very new course so there are no graduates yet (the first intake will be starting their final year in September.)

I have a close friend who teaches at another course at another university. She does not teach on the MT course but on another performing arts subject and she tears her hair out at the lack of time/contact hours.

What are your granddaughter's ambitions? Many university MT courses are more geared towards training arts practitioners or teachers rather than professional performers. What are her current skills (dancer/singer/actor?) Is there a reason why she is only looking at degree not diploma courses (finance/over the Dada income limit etc?)
fatladysings
Nominee

Post by fatladysings »

Hi GDADSTAXI - nice to have you on the site! My DD is meant to be starting on the degree course at Hammond this September. I have certainly heard quite a few good things about the course but you say (or hint) that you have also heard some bad. Just wondering if you might willing to give any more details on this??!! I have certainly had the impression from many others that the contact hours are well in excess of what they advertise and I gather that they will be doing the final year all important showcase with a view to getting an agent etc. Other 'serious' universities such as Chichester also do this.
When my DD had her audition it happened by chance to be the final showcase day for the diploma students. I didn't see the show but the photos they were putting up in the foyer looked amazing. To be honest if the 'only' aim is to get into the industry the diploma course might be better as higher contact hours and almost 100% practical. However it is very expensive and no loans available as far as I know.
They advertise the BA course as singing/acting with some dance which is a shame as dance is my DD's strongest bit. They have additional classes such as the 8:00am ballet class to boost the hours further.
Hammond also have a fairly unusual selection process in that they don't audition everyone who applies via UCAS by a long chalk. Somehow or other they screen the entries and only audition a fairly small percentage unlike other places who see everyone. However they don't charge an audition fee like the others so that's a bonus!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would suggest doing what I did. Trawl the threads on this site from previous years, starting from the 'auditioning for 2017' one, make a list of all colleges you come across, then look at their websites to try and narrow it down. Ask lots of questions, as we have all been or are going through it, no matter how silly the question is! The key is for your granddaughter to be super prepared and super motivated. It's a very tough process but we are all here to help :D :D
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I believe that the entries are screened for the academic content. If applicants don't look like they will meet the University of Chester academic requirements for example they are not interviewed. In terms of singing for example, not only are the students expected to be able to produce the goods in performance, they also have to know the science behind how the voice works & to learn to troubleshoot vocal problems.

Each different college will have a different "feel". Some students will feel more at home in a place like Laine or Bird and others at a place like GSA. I've heard positive and negative feedback about all of those institutions, what is important is to understand the circumstances around that feedback and whether it applies to your child.

I would strongly advise attending as many open days as possible.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

DS did the BA in MT at Arts Ed and absolutely loved the whole three years. DS knew the minute he walked into the building for his audition that that was the college he wanted to go for. He had auditioned at the others but just didn't feel the same about them. It is hard work and long hours (8am-6pm five days a week) but all the students are 150% committed to what they love. In their first year they were divided into three groups which related to their dance ability (DS had not really danced before) but for the following two years there was no particular reason for the groupings. When DS was there there was no student accommodation as such but they did provide listings of places to rent etc and there was a very good Facebook page for students who were in their final year to offer their accommodation to the future intake. Most students found accommodation within walking distance of college and it is a lovely area of London to be based. The staff really get to know their students extremely well and the tuition is excellent. There were a few performance opportunities (DS did the Horse Show and the Olivier Awards) and some do panto in their second year. You as a parent/grandparent don't actually get to see them perform until the shows they put on in their final year and of course the showcase. All DS year had multiple offers of representation although that is no guarantee of work.

I would encourage your Granddaughter to go along to the shows etc at the colleges she is interested in to get a feel for them. Perhaps even go to some of the short courses they do. Yes, these places are over subscribed but somebody has to get offered a place so I would say just go for it. Your Granddaughter could be one of the lucky ones.
All new to me!
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My DD is starting at Chichester in September on the triple threat course. Don't be put off by a university, DD has been messaging 1st years at Chichester on face book, the students are in classes every day all day. Chichester have also said that the agents of their showcase are saying they are as good as the conservatoirs which is good to hear. DD has a friend on the degree course at The Hammond who loves it.
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Hi All,
Thanks for the great feedback sorry for the slow replies.
ISLANDOFSODOR - Thanks for the feedback on Hammond, nice to get an "inside" view. The contact hours thing I find very odd, why not advertise what you do. Gloucester were similar, the first replies I had from them indicated contact of hours of 14, but with all the other bits, one - to - one singe etc it come out at 22 hours. Which is not as good as some obviously but better than many.
You asked about my GD's aspirations. It is most definitely to perform. Her skill set is mainly singing (grade 6) and dancing (most disciplines but jazz and tap are her stand out ones). Acting I would say is her weakest but is very much dependent on the role (Return to the Forbidden Planet she hated, but Be My Baby she loved).
As to why we are looking at degree courses, to be honest we just thought seemed the most obvious route but I would welcome any advice. In all honesty we have not looked at Diplomas. Do you consider these a worthwhile option?
CAROLINE A-C
Thanks for the feedback on Arts Ed. It is certainly on the audition list. Interesting you mention your DS had not really danced before. Yesterday whilst at Trinity I was talking to one of the students about to go into second year and she said that she had no dance experience at all when she started. I had assumed, obviously wrongly, that students had to very proficient in all three disciplines. I guess trainability, personality and work ethic also play a massive part.
KZGIRL thanks for the insight on Chichester, we have an open day visit lined up so it is great to hear your feedback. I understand that they share tutors with GSA as well.

Once again thanks for your help
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

When DS got his offer for Arts Ed it was for the diploma. For an extra fee (think it was one off payment of £400) he could convert it into a degree. I'm not sure if that is how all the colleges operate or not. Think there was some written element involved with the degree but it was a no brainer really. Think everybody went for the degree option. As far as dance goes, DS actually commented to the panel after his audition how bad his dancing was to which they laughed and said "you're trainable"! After all, that is what the idea of going to college to train is all about and they can see the raw talent.
All new to me!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Yes, at a recent information day about the diploma at Hammond it was explained to us that after graduation students could convert it into a degree by distance learning (designed to be able to be done whilst working).
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Here are a few random tips from our experience.
Best advice is go through the thread for the previous year - there is a lot but you will catch up to speed on all the ins and outs!

Many of the auditions will be for consideration for degree and diploma - student loan for degree / DADA funding (sometimes another audition needed) for diploma - it is useful to understand the two options.

Unless money is not an issue then you need to carefully check which courses will expect you to top up the fees - ie the fees are more than the student loan will pay eg Arts ED

If she is offered a foundation is this an option?

Is your gdd triple threat or stronger on one or two out of the three? Some colleges lean more to acting/ dance side of MT. If she can play an instrument she could try a conservatoire eg royal conservatoire of Scotland (quadruple threat)

Some colleges will require meeting qualifications (but with a slim chance of these being waived on an outstanding audition) eg GSA here you are looking at good A levels (in the A/B grade level) or distinctions at BTEC - they are generally strict about meeting the high offer.

Ensure your gdd is reading and seeing plays and shows - she will be expected to have read the whole play for any chosen monologue. I like Nick Hern Books website for plays but try ebay too. Also look at Monobox website - a resource for auditioning with chance to work on pieces with directors.

Consider a summer school if there are places left or book one of the audition workshop courses run by various colleges - these run through the year.

Don't leave filling in the UCAS form and getting a personal statement together.

Book open days early. But not all places run them now.

Get photos done - you might need passport size and photos of ballet positions, also might need a reference from dance teacher.

Book some singing lessons if she does not do these already.

Consider possibly booking more than one audition close together if you have far to travel to London - saves on cost of travel.

We did the rounds of a few colleges this year in an attempt at an MT degree or diploma - GSA Urdang Bird and ArtsEd - DD has been offered a foundation (Bird) and will re audition after that. She won't be choosing to audition at ArtsEd (didn't like it) but will try the others again and add Central. Nail the singing to get a recall for GSA as the recall is a decent full audition.

Happy to answer anything if I can help.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

A recent tweet from Michael Moor (ex head of MT at GSA) on other colleges to look at:

https://twitter.com/michaelmoor_mt/stat ... 4800980994
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Have you been looking at London Studio Centre? They have a wonderful BA Hons programme for MT as well as Contemporary, Jazz and Ballet.

Lots of alumni in the West End shows...

http://www.londonstudiocentre.org/

Let me know if you need more info.
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

afab wrote:Have you been looking at London Studio Centre? They have a wonderful BA Hons programme for MT as well as Contemporary, Jazz and Ballet.

Lots of alumni in the West End shows...

http://www.londonstudiocentre.org/

Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks I will take a look
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

moleseymum wrote:A recent tweet from Michael Moor (ex head of MT at GSA) on other colleges to look at:

https://twitter.com/michaelmoor_mt/stat ... 4800980994
Thanks for the reply I will check those out. I have been to Trinity and was quite impressed.