Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote:Just come home and DD s friend just emailed her x she had a unconditional offer for Hammond 3wks ago! So she's upset and pretty sure that she hasn't got a place x as humble as she is she felt she was so much better and is gutted x I know alls not lost yet but it's been so long and no word from them x gutted for her x she's going to email them on Monday x
I hope you manage to find out tomorrow Marissa! Did her friend audition on the same date or an earlier one? Am just wondering if they were giving some places out as they go along, as some of the colleges do? x
Thankyou x I hope so too. Just hope it's not a no as it will knock her as she felt it went well x The auditioned on the Same day x they were both in the last ten left at end of day x the only difference I can see is that her friend is older so has her results from uni already so got an unconditional offer x
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

When my DD went for her audition at the Hammond last year, a few heard 48 hours after their audition with an offer, DD heard after two weeks but wasn't offered anything, she already had an off at Chichester so the decision was made. Good luck to your DD Marissa, I would agree she needs to email them or telephone them. There could be a reason for the delay. The other thing we noticed is that a lot of places look for potential in people, someone could be a great singer but not be able to dance but still get offered over someone else who is a fantastic dancer and average singer.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Itsastrangeworld wrote:Hi all, just to say my DD is accepting a place at Wilkes Academy and therefore is declining offers at Laine, Urdang, Bird and Performers so those on reserve lists may start to see movement. Good Luck everyone xx
Wow what a line-up! What made her go for Wilkes?[/quot
Live_thedream wrote:[quote

In all honesty she was blown away by the Principals, facilities and Move It pieces. She also loved Performers and Urdang but Wilkes made her feel that it was the place for her, where she’ll be more than just a number.
I think that this post makes a great point. There are no doubt many reading this who have DCs desperate to get into all the colleges mentioned who never even considered Wilkes. The point is that no college ticks every box and the point about being more than just a number is often ignored in the quest to be one of a 100 or even 150 at some of the "dream colleges". We're coming to the end of DDs training and she chose to go to her current college for that very same reason. And she's had no regrets whatsoever. When agent showcase time comes, you can be sure that being one of over a hundred does not make it easy to stand out. It may not seem a major consideration now but in three years time it will be.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

kzgirl wrote:When my DD went for her audition at the Hammond last year, a few heard 48 hours after their audition with an offer, DD heard after two weeks but wasn't offered anything, she already had an off at Chichester so the decision was made. Good luck to your DD Marissa, I would agree she needs to email them or telephone them. There could be a reason for the delay. The other thing we noticed is that a lot of places look for potential in people, someone could be a great singer but not be able to dance but still get offered over someone else who is a fantastic dancer and average singer.
Thankyou it's just gutting. We are expecting a no as it's been so long x I'm sitting here listening to her singing in her room xxx
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

lbm1e14 wrote:
Itsastrangeworld wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Wow what a line-up! What made her go for Wilkes?[/quot
Live_thedream wrote:[quote

In all honesty she was blown away by the Principals, facilities and Move It pieces. She also loved Performers and Urdang but Wilkes made her feel that it was the place for her, where she’ll be more than just a number.
I think that this post makes a great point. There are no doubt many reading this who have DCs desperate to get into all the colleges mentioned who never even considered Wilkes. The point is that no college ticks every box and the point about being more than just a number is often ignored in the quest to be one of a 100 or even 150 at some of the "dream colleges". We're coming to the end of DDs training and she chose to go to her current college for that very same reason. And she's had no regrets whatsoever. When agent showcase time comes, you can be sure that being one of over a hundred does not make it easy to stand out. It may not seem a major consideration now but in three years time it will be.
Yes it's a very good point - it's easy to get swept away with what's popular but it is important to also consider what would work out better in the long term when making decisions like these
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Marissa wrote:
kzgirl wrote:When my DD went for her audition at the Hammond last year, a few heard 48 hours after their audition with an offer, DD heard after two weeks but wasn't offered anything, she already had an off at Chichester so the decision was made. Good luck to your DD Marissa, I would agree she needs to email them or telephone them. There could be a reason for the delay. The other thing we noticed is that a lot of places look for potential in people, someone could be a great singer but not be able to dance but still get offered over someone else who is a fantastic dancer and average singer.
Thankyou it's just gutting. We are expecting a no as it's been so long x I'm sitting here listening to her singing in her room xxx
Hope you get some answers tomorrow and they are good. Keep us posted xx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Live_thedream wrote:
Marissa wrote:
Hope you get some answers tomorrow and they are good. Keep us posted xx
Thankyou I just hope she doesn't hear while she's at college x at least I will be busy working today x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Live_thedream wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
Sherbert wrote:
You’ll need a few coffees to get through it :lol:
It seemed hard going for me cos I did it as if I were my son if that makes sense and then as parents you have to do it as well for the maintenance loan and income, etc so I felt like I did it 3 times but we’re all done now xx
you're not filling me with joy...
Really - please someone give me this problem!! I'll be ecstatic :lol:
Really sorry - didn't mean to be insensitive. DS definitely realises that he has been fortunate so far.
Keeping those fingers crossed for Central xx
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Student finance application isn't that bad took DD about 10 minutes then I logged into mine and DH to confirm income took about another 10 minutes.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Scarytimes wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
you're not filling me with joy...
Really sorry - didn't mean to be insensitive. DS definitely realises that he has been fortunate so far.
Hey scarytimes...I don’t think for one minute Live_thedream meant ‘Really!’As in ‘REALLY!?!!!’ :lol: :lol:
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Sherbert wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Hey scarytimes...I don’t think for one minute Live_thedream meant ‘Really!’As in ‘REALLY!?!!!’ :lol: :lol:
:oops: Sherbert's right I didn't mean it in that way! I meant it as in please somebody give me this problem 8-[ I like to hear what it's all like - gives me goals to aim for :lol:
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

kzgirl wrote:Student finance application isn't that bad took DD about 10 minutes then I logged into mine and DH to confirm income took about another 10 minutes.
Completed the lot in an hour. Wonder how many of us end up doing all three accounts: ours, DH/DP and DD/DS!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Live_thedream wrote:
Sherbert wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
:oops: Sherbert's right I didn't mean it in that way! I meant it as in please somebody give me this problem 8-[ I like to hear what it's all like - gives me goals to aim for :lol:
;) I know, but it was a bit insensitive all the same. Plenty of people on here with mixed fortunes so far. Feeling sick about last audition on Wednesday already. :roll:
Bean
Nominee

Post by Bean »

dancemom43 wrote:
Munchpot wrote:
Marissa wrote:I'm guessing you can't get the maintenance loan to help with accommodation?
Hi Marissa The only help you can get is Housing Benefit and, depending on where the foundation course is based, the local council can be a nightmare to get it from

Others have spoken about it on the forum if you search back
Hi
Yes I spent about 5 months arguing with the council for HB for Sidcup for Bird Foundation. Child can only earn about £50 before they take anything off benefit and amount you get depends on area. Full payment in Sidcup was £84.27 per week so helps towards accommodation. Its based on childs savings not parents (no more than £16,000K) If child got a job for £50 for weekly spend and HB helped with accommodation then just the tuition fee to pay which I know is still not easy.
x
Hi there - hello everyone
I’m new on here - I’ve been lurking for a while but I’ve been a bit too shy to post. I just wondered if you could tell me how you went about convincing the council that the foundation course was suitable for housing benefit. My DD has luckily received two offers for foundation this year - it’s her first year auditioning and we both know she isn’t quite ready for a three year course so in some ways has been really lucky. We can just about scrape together the money for the fees but paying for accommodation could be the thing between accepting or rejecting foundation and having a year off. I hadn’t heard of housing benefit being available until I saw it on here last week.
I might post this question separately too if I can figure out what I’m doing :)
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Bean wrote:
Hi there - hello everyone
I’m new on here - I’ve been lurking for a while but I’ve been a bit too shy to post. I just wondered if you could tell me how you went about convincing the council that the foundation course was suitable for housing benefit. My DD has luckily received two offers for foundation this year - it’s her first year auditioning and we both know she isn’t quite ready for a three year course so in some ways has been really lucky. We can just about scrape together the money for the fees but paying for accommodation could be the thing between accepting or rejecting foundation and having a year off. I hadn’t heard of housing benefit being available until I saw it on here last week.
I might post this question separately too if I can figure out what I’m doing :)
Hi - I think it very much depends on the Local Authority where the course is based. Which colleges / local authorites are involved?
Last edited by Munchpot on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.