Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby coolcatsmomma » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Felicity wrote:
coolcatsmomma wrote:Sadly another no for DD today at ArtsEd. She wasn’t surprised as she didn’t think she did as well at this one and said the dance was very fast paced. Lots of waiting for everyone to finish as the singing is individually.
On a brighter note we are getting better at handling it all and maintaining perspective so that’s a small plus (got to find one somewhere!). And she did at least get to wear the outfit for her song (not jeans!)

GSA and PPA left now. Good luck to everyone still on this merry go round x


Sorry to hear that but lots of luck to your DD at GSA and PPA.

Thank you. And thanks for the great advice O:)

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby kzgirl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 am

Felicity wrote:In response to the audition experiences people have posted, I thought I would summarise my DD’s. It shows how much on-the-day feelings and impressions vary. DD has no previous connection to any of the establishments.

Arts Ed (Nov) - loved it. Got a recall in the afternoon which was intense and involved testing her voice, monologue and acting workshop, physical examination and an interview. Foundation offer.

Mountview (Dec) didn’t get a good feeling. No recall/offer.

GSA (Dec) - quite short but she enjoyed it, especially the dance workshop as the leader was friendly. Recalled (still to do this).

Central (Dec) loved it and got a recall which she said was very challenging but enjoyable. She got a lot out of the acting recall sessions but felt the initial singing component was insufficient and there was no dance assessment. No offer.

Chichester (Jan) - Quite a lot of dance/workshopping and a tiring day but she enjoyed it and got an offer for the triple threat degree course. They didn’t hear her monologue but did ask her questions about how she developed her song character.

Trinity (Feb) - loved it and felt out of all of the auditions yet that she got the opportnuity to show skills in all 3 areas before a recall decision. Recalled and waiting for decision.

She still has a audition to do at PPA in March.

DD decided not to apply for the heavier dance courses at Urdang and Bird etc as she didn’t feel they suited her.


Hello Felicity

I thought I would let you know my DD is in her first year at Chichester and she loves it. She spends around 35 hours a week in her classes and lectures, it is a very full on course. DD is on the triple threat so far she says 3 girls have dropped out. We are looking forward to going to the first year show in April. There are around 60 pupils on the triple threat course and classes are no more than 12. Each student is graded into the right class at the start of the course so there is no waiting around for students to catch up in classes. A lot of the lecturers and dance lecturers work at GSA as well so the standard of teaching is really good. Restaurants in both the Bognor and Chichester camps serve nice food. My DD is is private rented studio around the corner from the campus she didn’t want to go into halls, she does eat in the campus restaurant though between lessons. If your DD decides on Chichester I am sure she won’t be disappointed.

Felicity
BRIT Award
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Felicity » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks Kzgirl that’s really useful info which I will share with DD. Sounds like great contact time. How much input is there in singing and voice development (as I would say this is DD’s strength)? Does this course overlap much with the other MT courses at Chicheter?

Hope the show goes well!

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby kzgirl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:22 pm

Felicity wrote:Thanks Kzgirl that’s really useful info which I will share with DD. Sounds like great contact time. How much input is there in singing and voice development (as I would say this is DD’s strength)? Does this course overlap much with the other MT courses at Chicheter?

Hope the show goes well!


Hi Felicity

DD has a one to one singing lesson every week at Chichester. My DD had a grade 8 in singing from the London College of Music before she started at Chichester. She is still finding the singing challenging at Chichester. On Tuesday this week she spent from 8am till 7pm in her music Ensemble class. She had several breaks for food etc. The whole triple threat 1st years are in this lecture. The course so far has not overlapped with any of the other musical theatre courses as there is enough on the triple threat. This course suits my DD as her strength is her singing she is a good dancer but her aim is for the west end in an ensemble. I have heard the 1st years sing and they are really good. DD does tap, mat mattox, ballet, body conditioning, jazz as well as the singing and acting. There may be a few other things the first years do but I don’t have a copy of her time table. The course is full on though with long days starting at 8am.

Felicity
BRIT Award
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Felicity » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Kzgirl, sounds excellent. Many thanks for all the extra info.

josielee
Nominee
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:19 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby josielee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:32 pm

I've a couple of questions regarding recalls and offers. Urdang have put in email that the interview will be about your academic background. Is that information not on your form or do they want to know more in-depth questions regarding what you are doing now (my daughter is doing a Btec). Also, in the email "The jazz class will consist of a new corner work exercise which you will learn in the room. The routine will be the same one from the first round audition" So is the corner exercise new or one from the first round? Baffled!! Regarding an offer from Millennium they ask for £75.00 reservation and also ask £600.00. Unsure as to whether they want both amounts to hold the space. My dd would be waiting to see if she has offers elsewhere before she decides. Hope this makes sense :?

josielee
Nominee
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:19 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby josielee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Re-read the email regarding the routine, just me being thick ](*,)

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby jennifer1972 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:47 am

josielee wrote:I've a couple of questions regarding recalls and offers. Urdang have put in email that the interview will be about your academic background. Is that information not on your form or do they want to know more in-depth questions regarding what you are doing now (my daughter is doing a Btec). Also, in the email "The jazz class will consist of a new corner work exercise which you will learn in the room. The routine will be the same one from the first round audition" So is the corner exercise new or one from the first round? Baffled!! Regarding an offer from Millennium they ask for £75.00 reservation and also ask £600.00. Unsure as to whether they want both amounts to hold the space. My dd would be waiting to see if she has offers elsewhere before she decides. Hope this makes sense :?


Hello
My DD is 1st year at Millennium. We sent a cheque for £75 to hold the place in the December but they didn't cash it until we had definitely decided and paid the £600 (which was the first installment of the £3000 student loan top up, which we paid in the March/ April).

coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby coolcatsmomma » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi. Hope everyone’s having a good day today.
DD just finished GSA round 1 and said they were lovely a very enjoyable experience. They’ve said a two and half week wait for outcome.

In other news she has decided to audition for Trinity Laban so off to London for Monday - eek!
Does anyone have any insight on the workshop section. She’s a bit worried by the script work comment as she’s not a super fast reader/translator. Does any have any info on what is required?
Thanks

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Live_thedream » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Been a tough week for DS. This time last week, we were praying to hear Arts Ed outcome after recall, Tuesday he got a no thanks letter and just come away from Mountview not getting a recall, which he did get last year. DS is however dealing with it so much better than me!

He said it was his best audition yet. Only 10 out of 120 though made recall and talent was exceptional.

Thank goodness we have a break now for a month, I don't think my nerves can take the waiting to see how DS has got on at every audition :roll:

Belledancer
BRIT Award
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Belledancer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi -how are the dancers getting on ? I just thought I would post my Dd's audition experiences. It's been a very stressful 4 months. She is a strong classical/jazz dancer who can sing in tune. She will be going in September at 18 having had excellent non vocational training as well as being very lucky to have access to a very good extended BTEC Diploma in Dance and Performing Arts at a local college.

Millenium Performing Arts - very friendly relaxed audition - offered Degree with a scholarship.

London Studio Centre - again very relaxed friendly audition - re-call for either Ballet or Jazz - her choice.

Urdang - loved the audition but can't see herself there - has a re-call but no guarantee of a place. Several peers from her dance school have a funding recall with a definate place. Out of all the colleges this is the hardest to get to grips with and the whole application/call back process is extremely confusing. She has cancelled her re-call.

Performers College - loved the whole vibe and was offered a place on the day - she was given the choice of Degree of Diploma.

Laine - her dream - offered a place with no recall needed.
and Bird College still to do at the end of April.

I can honestly say it's been hard - driving here there and everywhere, ensuring correct song, monologue leotards etc but worth it as choices to make. I feel for you all but I am sure our DD and DS will get where the need to be. But still no idea what each college wants/looks for and they are all so different

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Live_thedream » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Belledancer wrote:Hi -how are the dancers getting on ? I just thought I would post my Dd's audition experiences. It's been a very stressful 4 months. She is a strong classical/jazz dancer who can sing in tune. She will be going in September at 18 having had excellent non vocational training as well as being very lucky to have access to a very good extended BTEC Diploma in Dance and Performing Arts at a local college.

Millenium Performing Arts - very friendly relaxed audition - offered Degree with a scholarship.

London Studio Centre - again very relaxed friendly audition - re-call for either Ballet or Jazz - her choice.

Urdang - loved the audition but can't see herself there - has a re-call but no guarantee of a place. Several peers from her dance school have a funding recall with a definate place. Out of all the colleges this is the hardest to get to grips with and the whole application/call back process is extremely confusing. She has cancelled her re-call.

Performers College - loved the whole vibe and was offered a place on the day - she was given the choice of Degree of Diploma.

Laine - her dream - offered a place with no recall needed.
and Bird College still to do at the end of April.

I can honestly say it's been hard - driving here there and everywhere, ensuring correct song, monologue leotards etc but worth it as choices to make. I feel for you all but I am sure our DD and DS will get where the need to be. But still no idea what each college wants/looks for and they are all so different


Sounds like the stress has been worth it. Congrats to DD getting into place she wanted to - to get an offer is Brill but huge bonus of it's the place wanted

coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby coolcatsmomma » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Live_thedream wrote:Been a tough week for DS. This time last week, we were praying to hear Arts Ed outcome after recall, Tuesday he got a no thanks letter and just come away from Mountview not getting a recall, which he did get last year. DS is however dealing with it so much better than me!

He said it was his best audition yet. Only 10 out of 120 though made recall and talent was exceptional.

Thank goodness we have a break now for a month, I don't think my nerves can take the waiting to see how DS has got on at every audition :roll:

So sorry to hear that Live_thedream it is so emotionally draining and must be even harder the closer you get. I hope your DS gets a good outcome from his remaining auditions.

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Live_thedream » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 pm

coolcatsmomma wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:Been a tough week for DS. This time last week, we were praying to hear Arts Ed outcome after recall, Tuesday he got a no thanks letter and just come away from Mountview not getting a recall, which he did get last year. DS is however dealing with it so much better than me!

He said it was his best audition yet. Only 10 out of 120 though made recall and talent was exceptional.

Thank goodness we have a break now for a month, I don't think my nerves can take the waiting to see how DS has got on at every audition :roll:

So sorry to hear that Live_thedream it is so emotionally draining and must be even harder the closer you get. I hope your DS gets a good outcome from his remaining auditions.


Thanks coolcatsmomma - I know you've had the same this week. You are right about it being emotionally draining. That's why when even if the news is not good, you can't help feel some relief that you know the answer. DS did say that the better dancers seemed to get the recall today.

GSA and Central left in March / April

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Scarytimes » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Live_thedream wrote:Been a tough week for DS. This time last week, we were praying to hear Arts Ed outcome after recall, Tuesday he got a no thanks letter and just come away from Mountview not getting a recall, which he did get last year. DS is however dealing with it so much better than me!

He said it was his best audition yet. Only 10 out of 120 though made recall and talent was exceptional.

Thank goodness we have a break now for a month, I don't think my nerves can take the waiting to see how DS has got on at every audition :roll:


I feel for you (and him). The whole thing is so stressful and you leave them there for the day not knowing how it is all going and have to keep your mind off it. I definitely look forward to the breaks between auditions - we are on a three week one now. I much prefer the ones that email results rather than telling them on the day or making a cut halfway through. At least you have more control over things at home.


Return to “Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests