Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by mariapanayi »

RE: Bodens College of Performing Arts (Pathways)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...

Spoke to DD, apparently, students have progressed onto RCSSD, LAMDA, RADA, Mountview, E15, Rose Bruford, Royal Scottish to name a few.

With regards to dance - the current timetable provides at least two classes a day, five days a week (sometimes more). Some of the students also attend some evening classes in ballet, tap, modern and street dance - YET ANOTHER SERVICE THEY OFFER FOR FREE!!!!!! Students train in acting, singing and dancing to ensure their options are open to them throughout the next stage of their training.

I hope that answers the question?

They have an open day on 15th October - if you're unsure, it's worth contacting them directly - they've always been extremely helpful and will offer advice and support if needed. I'd recommend speaking to Katie at Admissions at katie@bodens.co.uk or on 020 8447 0909.
Last edited by mariapanayi on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

theMTAonline wrote:
lotsolaffs wrote:Thank you all,it does make so much more sense to not pay out now, I have just spent so long looking and researching and have learnt so much that it will come in handy later on,I think it has come to a case of facing up to reality about colleges and glad that we aren't applying to as many as we started with.
It's hard because really we all just want the best for our DC don't we? :D
For what it's worth we're seeing an increasing number of people that have spent so much before they've got to the professional training stage, that by the time that their dc's are ready to make that step. . . finances have just dried up. I completely understand the gamble of paying out on the FE courses in the hope of getting a DADA, but it is exactly that. . . a gamble.

lotsolaffs if your dc is talented and committed this will all work out. Colleges (such as us) will work with students to help them find the funds. So don't stress now . . . save it for a few years down the line. You're most definitely NOT letting your dc down by finding free resources now. Just allowing them to even entertain this industry (pun intended) is really quite special. Sounds to me like your dc is very lucky
With all due respect as I do have a lot of respect for MTA and it's aims and goals, there are certain 16-18 courses that are at the professional training stage. Yes many of them clearly are not and nowhere near but EDA is one example of complete professionalism and many of the lessons are as equal as the 3 year diploma standard.
There is a small intake and the audition is tough. If you haven't got the ability or potential - you won't get in!
That's the difference and if you can make it work for something like EDA have to offer then it's more than worth it.
It's not about DaDas for us ( DS wants to go the degree route anyway ) it's about wringing every last drop out of two very important years and not wasting time on something that's not going to be relevant for the future.
I used to be of the mind that you needed a "back up plan"
Indeed there are threads here where I argued the point with you as you disagreed .. and you were right.
I cannot stress just how competitive this industry is- it's at saturation point. My DS has been performing professionally and training since the age of 4 , I have lived it with him, I've seen it.
He was watching his friends who were fortunate enough to attend Tring, Arts Ed 6th form etc mature and grow in ability and was feeling left behind .. it was way out of anything we could afford , he WAS being left behind, Hence the decision to get him somewhere ( not anywhere ) but the right place asap and rework our finances.
Yes it's damned tough, I've gone from part time to full
time and his Dad takes all the overtime he can get , but in just 3 weeks I've seen him bloom.
These two years are in my mind as important as 18 -21
I'm not saying it's right or achievable for everyone's kids but don't compromise
Look around , see what you can get that's near you and FIGHT for it
It will be worth it when you see them improve in ability and confidence.

Apologies for the spelling , I'm on my phone and I don't have my glasses x
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

Hi riverdancefan
This isn't about pitting colleges against each other. It's about being realistic to every family's financial situation.
Actually I would argue that the industry isn't at saturation point. . . I think that the training ground level of it is. Very sadly such a huge percentage of people drop out so early on, the industry sort of pootles along as over subscribed than it ever was (or at least since the abolition of the Closed shop union). My views on a 'back up plan' are public knowledge, but actually with the right training people can arrive at their destination at any age. There are indeed jobs for all ages (tis the beauty of the industry). EDA looks amazing, as indeed are places like Tring and Arts Ed 6th Form, but I believe that it's equally important for parent's not to feel like their letting their dc's down in some way, in those options are not within their reach right now.
Depending on what sort of jobs you end up striving for . . .life experience can be every bit as helpful as intensive training . . .at any age.
Great that your ds is doing so well up in Hitchin :D
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I do agree
It's a tough one and we are lucky for him to be accepted and be able to scrape the money together.
I guess that I'm saying is - use the two years as best you can , be that finding somewhere locally that offers top level training , or a good BTECH ( there are some dire ones out there ) on recommendation if nothing else.
Don't allow them to drop their drive or energy / push them
As far as they want and you can manage , we thought we were and it was only when he was honest we realised he was so unhappy.
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

As ever riverdancefan I suspect that we are saying the same thing.
It's really tough, we all want the best for our dc (I'm a mum to a toddler and am already feeling that pressure) . . . everybody's journey will be different . . . and that's OK! All the best to you and your boy :lol:
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Thank you x
And come on MTA.. we need you to be doing 16 -18 training!!
That would be awesome and I'm watching this space still \:D/
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

It will never happen (but thanks for the vote of confidence). We're 100% committed to just doing the one course for 22 people. . . and working hard to make that the best that it can be for our students and graduates. However . . . we do offer our Summer Experience for that age group now (due to demand and people asking for it). . .so the 16-18 year olds can have a taster. Right. . . off write panto \:D/
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I so often wish there was a like button on here. Thank you MTA
Upinlights
BRIT Award

Post by Upinlights »

Dates in for Urdang , Performers and Laine. Just waiting on Millennium . These four before Christmas then others in the New Year dependent on outcome , obviously [-o<
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Hi. Is anybody else having problems getting a response from Millennium? We submitted an online request to attend the open day weeks ago, but didn't hear anything. I've rang them twice since and the second time was asked to email them and somebody would get back to us, but again we're still waiting over a week later?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I sent Bodens an online enquiry about something that was on their website and have not had a reply either.
Upinlights
BRIT Award

Post by Upinlights »

Hi

I emailed Millennium and nobody replied so I called and spoke to someone but they couldn't help. Communication could be better.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Upinlights wrote:Hi

I emailed Millennium and nobody replied so I called and spoke to someone but they couldn't help. Communication could be better.
Their last OFSTED was Requires Improvment in every area too!
Upinlights
BRIT Award

Post by Upinlights »

islandofsodor wrote:
Upinlights wrote:Hi

Their last OFSTED was Requires Improvment in every area too!

Thats worrying
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Talking of OFSTED I only recently realised that the reports contain a breakdown of the total number of students at the time of inspection and the total number of students in receipt of Dada awards. I found this quite useful information. Some institutions have a lot more fee payers than others. It will vary from year to year of course depending on the income level (and support level) of the current students.