Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by dancemom43 »

Robin64 wrote:The inspection from 2016 says "requires improvement" so I think that is why no dadas can be offered. I wouldn't be happy for DD to apply. I know ofsted isn't everything but it's a lot of money time and commitment so I just wouldn't risk it.
DD auditioned there last year and was offered degree but declined. The two men that own it were lovely and the pupils seemed nice. My concern was the state of the building.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Dd tucked up in bed and asleep ready for a mega early start to go off to Urdang pre-audion course tomorrow morning. I know some other forum members have dc doing this also - I'm sure they will have a fab week and learn lots !
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Yes our dd is off to Urdang pre-voc too. Think they'll all have a great time. Good opportunity to gauge standard and find out about the whole audition process for the future. Good luck to everyone attending. Enjoy!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Has anyone any info on host family costs for DC ' S at Emil Dale please?
Thank you
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

lotsolaffs wrote:Has anyone any info on host family costs for DC ' S at Emil Dale please?
Thank you
I would guess at between £350 - £450 a month dependent on what they offer and T and C's
My DS pays upper end of the £300's but I know some who pay slightly less and some a little more.

If they are doing the BTech they are entitled to housing benefit.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

riverdancefan thank you,yes would be for BTEC. From what I can gather from some on other topics housing benefit can be really difficult to obtain. I spoke to a lovely lady there today,so helpful . It is so tempting to add it to our list.Research now into housing benefit!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Lots of questions on here about funding . I am aware of government funding forpre-schools and would imagine that DADAs are pretty similar . A requires improvement will see the funding hault for new students ( existing ones are usually fine,at least for that acaedemic year )Osted then revisit within 6 months to see if it still requires improvement. My guess is that Millenium have no idea whether they can offer DADAS next year and are possibly avoiding this issue until they know themselves.
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Just putting this out there for peoples thoughts. We all know I am sure that the likes of GSA / Hammond / Trinity / Arts Ed are the places we would want our sons and daughters to be, but with the number of places available against those that audition there will be many who are disappointed. With that in mind, does anyone have any views or knowledge as to which of the mainstream Unis offer decent MT or Performing Arts courses. I know they will never compete with the above but just looking at options if all else fails.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Bodyworks Cambridge is fab! They do a level 6 diploma....and offer many dadas and scholarships. Hard work with great results :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

GDADSTAXI wrote:We all know I am sure that the likes of GSA / Hammond / Trinity / Arts Ed are the places we would want our sons and daughters to be.
Interesting choice of colleges.

If you search the training thread there is quite a lot which has been written about the merits or otherwise of MT training in the mainstream Unis. Another option is not to compromise and to take a year out, work on improving even more and reapplying next year.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

GDADSTAXI wrote:Just putting this out there for peoples thoughts. We all know I am sure that the likes of GSA / Hammond / Trinity / Arts Ed are the places we would want our sons and daughters to be, but with the number of places available against those that audition there will be many who are disappointed. With that in mind, does anyone have any views or knowledge as to which of the mainstream Unis offer decent MT or Performing Arts courses. I know they will never compete with the above but just looking at options if all else fails.
I would recommend you take a look at PPA, not a mainstream uni but may be offering student loans this year. If you haven't already, consider booking to see the third year shows at different colleges to get an idea of the standard, you may come away pleasantly surprised. I am actually glad that my child is not currently at GSA. PPA also have videos online from 3rd year shows and showcase.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

moleseymum wrote:
GDADSTAXI wrote:Just putting this out there for peoples thoughts. We all know I am sure that the likes of GSA / Hammond / Trinity / Arts Ed are the places we would want our sons and daughters to be, but with the number of places available against those that audition there will be many who are disappointed. With that in mind, does anyone have any views or knowledge as to which of the mainstream Unis offer decent MT or Performing Arts courses. I know they will never compete with the above but just looking at options if all else fails.
I would recommend you take a look at PPA, not a mainstream uni but may be offering student loans this year. If you haven't already, consider booking to see the third year shows at different colleges to get an idea of the standard, you may come away pleasantly surprised. I am actually glad that my child is not currently at GSA. PPA also have videos online from 3rd year shows and showcase.
That's interesting. Any particular reason that be glad your DC is not at GSA? There has been some negative press about forced staff changes on the MT course there if I recall.

Also I'be not looked at the website lately but may sign of a change to the much disliked first audition process which I think was rumoured?
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

chivers61 wrote:
moleseymum wrote:
That's interesting. Any particular reason that be glad your DC is not at GSA? There has been some negative press about forced staff changes on the MT course there if I recall.

Also I'be not looked at the website lately but may sign of a change to the much disliked first audition process which I think was rumoured?
Ah, I was not aware of forced staff changes. Rumours were that the standard had dramatically declined along with contact hours. I had been to their 3rd year shows a few years back and the standard was incredible. A video was briefly online of a recent 3rd year showcase which was nowhere near the standard we had previously seen and therefore kind of verified those rumours.

Coincidentally PPA have announced that student loan funding will be available for 2018 today.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

moleseymum wrote:
chivers61 wrote:
moleseymum wrote:

Ah, I was not aware of forced staff changes. Rumours were that the standard had dramatically declined along with contact hours. I had been to their 3rd year shows a few years back and the standard was incredible. A video was briefly online of a recent 3rd year showcase which was nowhere near the standard we had previously seen and therefore kind of verified those rumours.

Coincidentally PPA have announced that student loan funding will be available for 2018 today.
All very interesting. Someone did post about the reduction in contact hours months ago on this forum and it was flatly denied by someone whose DC was there. Michael Moore who was head of MT left sometime in the last 12 months to set up his own casting and agent business. Maybe he saw the changes coming. I think I read the article about the staff changes in The Stage. Think they had a few members of the teaching staff who were on fixed term contracts which weren't renewed and the work given to permanent members of staff. The implication being that the permanent staff weren't current and working in the industry like those on the contracts were. But who knows. All rumour. But interesting you should have picked up on that. The bottom line is that Unis who charge £9,000 for an MT course and offer 30+ hours a week are making a loss and with Uni finances not generally in good shape I suspect the bit about cuts to hours is true.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2017/fo ... -overhaul/

Here is a link to the article in The Stage for those who can get access. My bad. It was about the Foundation course not the BA. That said it seems to refer to an environment which may affect the BA as well.