Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Marissa »

RosaMac wrote:I don't think they have Ballet on the timetable for the degree course, but I think you can join in the early morning RAD vocational graded classes. They take place before school starts around 8 am. There isn't as much dance on the degree course as its more singing and acting. The diploma course is more dance based.
Thankyou x I really need to check this somehow as she won't be happy if she can't do some ballet x Do you know if there's a cost to the morning ballet lessons? As long as she can do ballet every morning she would be very happy x they said about tap and character so that's ok but but DD loves ballet x I don't suppose you have an example of a degree timetable do you?
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

princess1 wrote:My DD and her friends opened up a joint account and all their bills went out of that. They just worked out roughly how much extra they had to pay in per month for the bills and adjusted it as required! They also paid for joint expenses such as toilet paper from this account. Worked very well for 3 years!
This is what we were considering, think they'll have to open an account when they get down there though as the 3 are from all over. I think this would be the best option for join bills.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Marissa - someone told me that apparently the diploma have 2 hours of ballet a day including pointe,she seems to think her daughter will go through ballet shoes every 2 weeks!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

lotsolaffs wrote:Marissa - someone told me that apparently the diploma have 2 hours of ballet a day including pointe,she seems to think her daughter will go through ballet shoes every 2 weeks!
DD would love this x unfortunately she's hoping to do the degree which is a lot less dance and hours x
Last edited by Marissa on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

Surely if it's a triple threat course they would do equal amounts of dance, singing and acting? Pretty much all courses DD looked at they did a ballet class every day!
RosaMac
BRIT Award

Post by RosaMac »

The diploma course is completely different to the degree course at Hammond. The auditions are separate and the requirements for each course vary. I think they are one of the only colleges that run a completely separate course for the degree and diploma.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

princess1 wrote:Surely if it's a triple threat course they would do equal amounts of dance, singing and acting? Pretty much all courses DD looked at they did a ballet class every day!
I thought the only triple threat degree course was at Chichester, this is where my daughter is doing her degree she does around 6 hours a week of ballet.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

The Hammond is not labelled as Triple threat as are not many other degrees in Musical Theatre even with the bigger names schools. However although all very different hours, what they/how they teach and how they showcase I do feel at these more well known universities/ schools they all learn what is needed e.g., dance, acting and singing. I watched a show the other night and although a graduate had done an acting degree she was as good as the others who had studied musical theatre. I think a bigger name helps a lot although looking through recent show programs if your lucky and take every opportunity you may well be in there one day x
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Marissa wrote:The Hammond is not labelled as Triple threat as are not many other degrees in Musical Theatre even with the bigger names schools. However although all very different hours, what they/how they teach and how they showcase I do feel at these more well known universities/ schools they all learn what is needed e.g., dance, acting and singing. I watched a show the other night and although a graduate had done an acting degree she was as good as the others who had studied musical theatre. I think a bigger name helps a lot although looking through recent show programs if your lucky and take every opportunity you may well be in there one day x
My daughter auditioned for the Hammond but didn't get offered a place last year, a couple of her school friends are there and love it. My daughter ended up at Chichester, I can honestly say the course is fantastic, The triple threat course is well balanced with dance, singing and acting, west end lecturers/singing teachers. This course is overlooked on this website as it is a degree course but I can honestly say it is a really good course and is up there with the performing arts colleges for dance.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

kzgirl wrote:
Marissa wrote:The Hammond is not labelled as Triple threat as are not many other degrees in Musical Theatre even with the bigger names schools. However although all very different hours, what they/how they teach and how they showcase I do feel at these more well known universities/ schools they all learn what is needed e.g., dance, acting and singing. I watched a show the other night and although a graduate had done an acting degree she was as good as the others who had studied musical theatre. I think a bigger name helps a lot although looking through recent show programs if your lucky and take every opportunity you may well be in there one day x
My daughter auditioned for the Hammond but didn't get offered a place last year, a couple of her school friends are there and love it. My daughter ended up at Chichester, I can honestly say the course is fantastic, The triple threat course is well balanced with dance, singing and acting, west end lecturers/singing teachers. This course is overlooked on this website as it is a degree course but I can honestly say it is a really good course and is up there with the performing arts colleges for dance.
I think a lot of courses are overlooked nowadays. However as I said looking at recent show programs I think things maybe changing xxx
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Marissa - when my DD was at Hammond (she graduated before degree course started) there was no charge for the early morning ballet sessions (regardless of funded or self funded for the diploma). When she was there it was RAD ballet - 2 classes of 2 grades each week - so you could go to all 4 if you wished. The only charge was if you wished to be entered for an exam and that was just normal exam entry fee. After the normal day finishes there are then ISTD tap and jazz classes - again more than one level and different nights. Hope this helps.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

2dancersmum wrote:Marissa - when my DD was at Hammond (she graduated before degree course started) there was no charge for the early morning ballet sessions (regardless of funded or self funded for the diploma). When she was there it was RAD ballet - 2 classes of 2 grades each week - so you could go to all 4 if you wished. The only charge was if you wished to be entered for an exam and that was just normal exam entry fee. After the normal day finishes there are then ISTD tap and jazz classes - again more than one level and different nights. Hope this helps.
Thankyou that's really helpful x if it's available for degree students too DD will be very happy x
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Danceandsing wrote:For Bird you need the Zip 16+ card. They will stamp the form in the office and you can get free bus travel for 18 year olds as the card is for ages 16-19 and Bird have signed up with TFL. Well you could in 2014 at least! My DD used it for year 1 of the degree.
This is interesting, though dd may not need one, shes a 20 min walk away, but if feeling tired could hop on a bus plus would be helpful if shopping extra, Where do you apply for the form for the bus pass?
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

Newbe2018 wrote:
Danceandsing wrote:For Bird you need the Zip 16+ card. They will stamp the form in the office and you can get free bus travel for 18 year olds as the card is for ages 16-19 and Bird have signed up with TFL. Well you could in 2014 at least! My DD used it for year 1 of the degree.
This is interesting, though dd may not need one, shes a 20 min walk away, but if feeling tired could hop on a bus plus would be helpful if shopping extra, Where do you apply for the form for the bus pass?
Google oyster zip. It's the tfl website.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

smallbythesea wrote:
Newbe2018 wrote:
Google oyster zip. It's the tfl website.
thank you x