Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by dancemom43 »

Munchpot wrote:Just got back from seeing the Bird Summer Show “Destinations”

It was amazing, couple of technical issues with mics but that was the theatre’s issue not te students

Blown away by the talent on stage, and excited to think my DD will be up there next year
I watched both casts on Saturday and the students were all amazing. Very proud of DD xx
Mumof3girls
BRIT Award

Post by Mumof3girls »

dancemom43 wrote:
Munchpot wrote:Just got back from seeing the Bird Summer Show “Destinations”

It was amazing, couple of technical issues with mics but that was the theatre’s issue not te students

Blown away by the talent on stage, and excited to think my DD will be up there next year
I watched both casts on Saturday and the students were all amazing. Very proud of DD xx
I also watched the evening show it was amazing ! Not liking how fast that 1 st year went though .
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Robin64 wrote:In DD's hall flat there were foundation and first year students. There were a few flats with bird college students so plenty of people to meet. The flats have a shared kitchen diner. The individual rooms have a fridge so you can have a kettle and make a drink in your room too if you want some space. DD is now going to flat share with one of the girls she met in halls. There is a campus bar ( they are often too tired to go there though!) The only downside was probably that some of the non bird students in other blocks could be a bit noisy sometimes when birdies were getting up early but not that bad. It's £155 per week I think - not really cheap but I felt it was really safe secure and friendly.
Are these Avery Halls?? Any info you have would be great, I'm struggling to find accommodation, DD has found 2 first years to share, but 1 is foundation and finding fees and costs on housing difficult to source which is providing difficult to find anything in her price range.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Hi yes. Look on the university of Greenwich website. It wouldn't be suitable for under 18 though. For over 18 you can just choose and apply online. You can pay in installments I think. With renting a place it's the horrendous fees and advance rent that can really add up.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Foundation students can apply for a room in halls too so in theory the 3 could all get a room each in halls. Just call and say they want to be in the same flat.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Robin64 wrote:Foundation students can apply for a room in halls too so in theory the 3 could all get a room each in halls. Just call and say they want to be in the same flat.
Thank you Robin64, I think we've finally found somewhere, a flat share, works out much cheaper than halls and closer too. i am wondering though hows best to sort out paying bills, rent ect. if any one has any house share experience and what worked best for them, would love to hear.

Oooo and congratulations to those who received offers recently xx
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

There are apps like Splitwise that are really popular for sharing bills out...I know quite a few are using those
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Glad you’ve found somewhere Newbe2018! =D>
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Newbe2018 wrote:
Robin64 wrote:Foundation students can apply for a room in halls too so in theory the 3 could all get a room each in halls. Just call and say they want to be in the same flat.
Thank you Robin64, I think we've finally found somewhere, a flat share, works out much cheaper than halls and closer too. i am wondering though hows best to sort out paying bills, rent ect. if any one has any house share experience and what worked best for them, would love to hear.

Oooo and congratulations to those who received offers recently xx
Probably not best in terms of teaching DCs to be independent, but I had a spare bank account which I used for their house bills. Only for rent, gas/electric, water and broadband. There is no council tax if everyone in the property is a student. Each month I email everyone to say how much to pay in them all the direct debits some out. It's easy if you use the fixed monthly amount system for utilities.

Not everyone will want to do this I'm sure. But it worked for us. DD is however insisting that when she graduates in Septemebercand they move house they're going to take it all on themselves.

Also they do use a bill splitting app for common expenditure, where one of them does the weekly shop. They love it. Makes it so easy to keep track of who owes who.
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

My DD and her friends opened up a joint account and all their bills went out of that. They just worked out roughly how much extra they had to pay in per month for the bills and adjusted it as required! They also paid for joint expenses such as toilet paper from this account. Worked very well for 3 years!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Just had DS final dance and drama school show which was emotional. Still three and a half weeks to wait for A level results before we can start sorting things out for him to go away. Feels more nerve wracking now not being able to plan ahead!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Scarytimes wrote:Just had DS final dance and drama school show which was emotional. Still three and a half weeks to wait for A level results before we can start sorting things out for him to go away. Feels more nerve wracking now not being able to plan ahead!
Bedlieve me those three weeks will fly by
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Munchpot wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:Just had DS final dance and drama school show which was emotional. Still three and a half weeks to wait for A level results before we can start sorting things out for him to go away. Feels more nerve wracking now not being able to plan ahead!
Bedlieve me those three weeks will fly by
Hopefully - I feel sick every time I think about it.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Me too x DD just received a lovely welcome letter from the Hammond with the uniform needed x we are just holding back and waiting x Dd has talked about her plans for if they don't accept her x Mind you there was nothing on the uniform list about ballet shoes so that's got her worried x She adores ballet x
RosaMac
BRIT Award

Post by RosaMac »

I don't think they have Ballet on the timetable for the degree course, but I think you can join in the early morning RAD vocational graded classes. They take place before school starts around 8 am. There isn't as much dance on the degree course as its more singing and acting. The diploma course is more dance based.