Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Felicity »

Marissa wrote:Well done all x My DD also got an email about the foundation yr which was really nice and has cheered her up although there is no way we could afford it sadly x
Congrats Marissa, nice for your DD to get that recognition but a shame it’s not an option. They have worked so hard. Good luck to your DD for the Hammond audition.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Felicity wrote:
Marissa wrote:Well done all x My DD also got an email about the foundation yr which was really nice and has cheered her up although there is no way we could afford it sadly x
Congrats Marissa, nice for your DD to get that recognition but a shame it’s not an option. They have worked so hard. Good luck to your DD for the Hammond audition.
Thankyou we have registered her interest and are racking are brains in ways to afford it as it's her dream place x Any advice greatly appreciated x
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Felicity wrote:
coolcatsmomma wrote:Finally some great news.
DD has been offered foundation at PPA and is on the reserve list for BA.
She is beyond excited - (me too). Thanks for all your wishes. And good luck to those still waiting.

UCAS hasn’t updated yet but she’s had an email and it’s also showing on her PPA logon.

Felicity I have sent you a dm - fingers crossed for your DD. X
Fab news Coolcats! Have just sent you a reply x
DD got an email offering her a place on the BA course which she is thrilled about so a good one to end on.

Lots of luck to all those still auditioning

Excellent news Felicity!
Well done to your DD xxxx
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Marissa wrote:
Felicity wrote:
Thankyou we have registered her interest and are racking are brains in ways to afford it as it's her dream place x Any advice greatly appreciated x
Well done Marissa’s DD!!
I don’t know of any foundation help (or I would have grabbed it myself last year) but this is a great offer for your DD
Hope you can find a way to make it work xxx
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Wonderful to hear the good news about offers! Well done to your DCs coolcats and Felicity!! And Marissa what excellent news - that will do your DD confidence world of good- I hope it works out for you x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I'm guessing you can't get the maintenance loan to help with accommodation?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Marissa wrote:I'm guessing you can't get the maintenance loan to help with accommodation?
Hi Marissa The only help you can get is Housing Benefit and, depending on where the foundation course is based, the local council can be a nightmare to get it from

Others have spoken about it on the forum if you search back
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Munchpot wrote:
Marissa wrote:I'm guessing you can't get the maintenance loan to help with accommodation?
Hi Marissa The only help you can get is Housing Benefit and, depending on where the foundation course is based, the local council can be a nightmare to get it from

Others have spoken about it on the forum if you search back
Hi
Yes I spent about 5 months arguing with the council for HB for Sidcup for Bird Foundation. Child can only earn about £50 before they take anything off benefit and amount you get depends on area. Full payment in Sidcup was £84.27 per week so helps towards accommodation. Its based on childs savings not parents (no more than £16,000K) If child got a job for £50 for weekly spend and HB helped with accommodation then just the tuition fee to pay which I know is still not easy.
x
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Hi
Been watching this thread with interest. My daughter was also rejected for the Trinity Laban BA. We also have been asked if we wish to consider the foundation. Does anyone know what the contact hours are like for the foundation? Also does anyone know if you can get hb from Greenwich easily. Anyone know anything about the foundation at Trinity? decisions decisions. We have no other choices atm other than doing a gap year and getting a job to save for next year. Concerned that a year off training will reduce chances for next year as has been doing a btec this year at Italia Conti. But the cost is putting us off!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Marissa wrote:Thankyou does anyone know what help we could get towards a foundation yr?
We were in your shoes last year Marissa. It is a tough decision. Our DD worked and worked all through the summer and saved enough to cover her food/expenses. Managed to get some shifts to top it up during holidays. She is getting Housing Benefit about £82 per week - her rent in halls is around £155 for an ensuite room in a flat share on campus. It took around 5 months to get it sorted but it was backdated. She hasn't worked in term time but that might be an option too - maybe a Saturday or Sunday job but there is a limit before it impacts HB as has been said. We took out a loan for the fees and accommodation so that will have to be paid back over time. There are charities / bursaries you can apply for but in my experience these are rather difficult to find or get. Local ones might be your best bet. Local library has a book with all the details in. I have to say that even DH who was rather against it (because of the money)has admitted he is really glad DD has done the foundation and she has proved herself. It has been a fantastic year (not without ups and downs) and she has grown up a lot and made us really proud. Still auditioning for next year but whatever happens, no regrets on my part. Best of luck, but even if she doesn't do the foundation she still has a course to go to and can audition again. Having done it before she knows what is coming so can plan towards it.

Wanted to say Well Done to all those offers - some fantastic ones. Pat on the back for parents too - you deserve it! For anyone waiting - fingers crossed and to those feeling a bit dejected - keep going...DD's friend got into GSA on third try!
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Hi Robin64
Can I ask is your DD doing the foundation at Trinity?
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

lynne wrote:Hi
Been watching this thread with interest. My daughter was also rejected for the Trinity Laban BA. We also have been asked if we wish to consider the foundation. Does anyone know what the contact hours are like for the foundation? Also does anyone know if you can get hb from Greenwich easily. Anyone know anything about the foundation at Trinity? decisions decisions. We have no other choices atm other than doing a gap year and getting a job to save for next year. Concerned that a year off training will reduce chances for next year as has been doing a btec this year at Italia Conti. But the cost is putting us off!
Hi Lynne, no Bird college. There is a long thread on HB that should help. It might take a while but you should get it for a foundation. Don't know about Trinity but DD's foundation has been pretty much all day every day at Bird. Often 8.30am start til late. It's no guarantee of getting in the following year but it definitely gives a proper taste of full time training and is a good year. However remember your DD could be re-auditioning before Xmas if she wants so if you can source some intensives like summer schools it might be an alternative to the foundation year. She could do - work to save up + private singing lessons + intense fitness drive + dance classes + a summer school then audition as soon as possible.
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

yes, it really is a lot to think about! thank you for your reply!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Funding from Freemasons is available if a parent or grandparent was a member. My father in law was,we applied but it appears he was "excluded" .Really unfortunate for us as it meant turning a place down,we do have an alternative though which requires less funding.
It is called Talent Aid and can be found on their website,massive forms,personal statement and references required.
I really hope some of you can get something from them.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

lynne wrote:Hi
Hi
I would’t be too concerned about your DD taking a year off dancing.Our DD took 2 years out due to ill health, she is now doing her degree course on the triple threat at Chichester. It wasn’t an easy audition but she got a place. My advice would be to audition early especially for the funded places through UCAS. Personally I wouldn’t pay for a foundation course as you probably won’t get any change out of £10,000 for the year. Your DD could have private dance lessons and singing lessons and live at home for the year it wouldn’t cost anywhere near what a foundation course would cost. Obviously this is just my view and others would disagree with me. It’s a struggle for most of us to achieve this training for our DC.