Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by amo185 »

We are adding Bodens to our list as it looks impressive, but unfortunately can't make their next Open Day. I had a very good response to an email I sent them. Certainly seems worth considering and would be commutable for dd. She's in Year 10 but am glad we are looking now. Can anyone comment on the level of dance tuition at Bodens? i.e. do leavers get into dance colleges (like Bird or Laine) or more drama based colleges? And can anyone explain why it is free? (Not that I'm complaining but I still haven't fathomed this out - it's not linked to a school - and I'm wondering if this will change at all).
There is also The Pad at Dunstable which runs a free BTEC (again doesn't appear to be linked to a school). It seems more tuition based than performance-opportunity based which actually would suit dd, but I've heard that the course is being extended to three years rather than two and it would be difficult for her to get to. Someone might know more?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I have been researching this now for about 18 months. At first we had a list of at least 10 we would apply for at 16.
This is now down to 4 .
I have found it really stressful, application forms,photos,audition fees, what song? What monologue? Despite me be being super organised it has really got to me this week.
And this is only 16-18. Finances are the main reason.We just can't afford it and no point kidding ourselves anymore.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

lotsolaffs wrote:I have been researching this now for about 18 months. At first we had a list of at least 10 we would apply for at 16.
This is now down to 4 .
I have found it really stressful, application forms,photos,audition fees, what song? What monologue? Despite me be being super organised it has really got to me this week.
And this is only 16-18. Finances are the main reason.We just can't afford it and no point kidding ourselves anymore.
oh Lotsolaffs I do feel for you. It is pretty stressful. Is there not anywhere to go for free 16-18 near you? BTEC at a college? Then go for degree or diploma at 18? I just had a look at the Bodens site and it looks good if you can manage the accommodation? If you can access a local btec then supplement that with trying for a summer school / pre voc course.
Is there any particular reason it has to be 16+ auditions? The audition process was time consuming and paying all the audition fees/travel/overnight stays was costly but I think some do offer free auditions in certain circumstances so it might be worth checking.

Chin up!
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

I didn't ever ask that question before (re Bodens funding) - they are government funded through Big Creative Training, and will not become a fee-paying organisation.

With regards to dance... I think most recently, their graduates have been accepted onto acting and musical theatre courses. I will see if I can find out any more for you!!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Robin64 thank you for your encouragement, yes we have a BTEC that has supposedly a great reputation, my DD attended an open day and felt it might not be good enough,there is an open evening which this time we will both go to.
I just feel it is just so financially hard. We were supposed to be at Arts Ed school open evening tonight and I have just cancelled Italia Conti open day as didn't realise performing arts plus A level course didn't have funding or possibility of scholarship. We are just going for Tring scholarship and bursary, Brit School ,BTEC at local college and another independent school that offers performing arts, again scholarship and bursary.
That's enough for us at this stage!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Robin64 thank you for your encouragement, yes we have a BTEC that has supposedly a great reputation, my DD attended an open day and felt it might not be good enough,there is an open evening which this time we will both go to.
I just feel it is just so financially hard. We were supposed to be at Arts Ed school open evening tonight and I have just cancelled Italia Conti open day as didn't realise performing arts plus A level course didn't have funding or possibility of scholarship. We are just going for Tring scholarship and bursary, Brit School ,BTEC at local college and another independent school that offers performing arts, again scholarship and bursary.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

lotsolaffs wrote:Robin64 thank you for your encouragement, yes we have a BTEC that has supposedly a great reputation, my DD attended an open day and felt it might not be good enough,there is an open evening which this time we will both go to.
If the free Btec course is okay then I would say go for that and keep up local dance classes, add in some singing lessons / am dram. Your DD could end up with great Btec result like triple D or D* which can get her in to places like GSA for degree. Okay it might not be challenging enough but save your money to help with degree diploma or foundation to come unless she could audition at 16 for a Dada course eg at Bird and get funding that way.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Robin64 wrote:
If the free Btec course is okay then I would say go for that and keep up local dance classes, add in some singing lessons / am dram. Your DD could end up with great Btec result like triple D or D* which can get her in to places like GSA for degree. Okay it might not be challenging enough but save your money to help with degree diploma or foundation to come unless she could audition at 16 for a Dada course eg at Bird and get funding that way.
I would totally agree with Robin64 on this one. If we knew then what we know now I would have done the same, ie my DD would have dne a BTEC and carried on at local dance school too, rather than go down the A Level route
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

Yes, I agree too. Kids have the opportunity to train for FREE for three years after completing their GCSEs - they should make the most of it! That's what we've done, and thankfully it's all worked out for the best. DD's got fantastic grades in her BTEC, is currently working at Foundation Degree Level - all for without paying a penny. Even her additional dance classes in the evening were free because she attended the full time college in the daytime. We're in a much better position to support her at drama school now. Could not have done it otherwise!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you all,it does make so much more sense to not pay out now, I have just spent so long looking and researching and have learnt so much that it will come in handy later on,I think it has come to a case of facing up to reality about colleges and glad that we aren't applying to as many as we started with.
It's hard because really we all just want the best for our DC don't we? :D
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Hi lotsoflaughs
The BTEC at Italia Conti in Guildford is free. The Guildford school is the sister school of the one in London.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I am over the moon with our choice to send DS off to Emil Dale Academy.
He took AS levels and was always intending to follow the A level route but was so unhappy not doing full time PA it was decided to move him.
There are many BTechs of varying standards, some great ,some not so great,we did a lot of research but EDA is amazing.
Yes there is a cost and a commitment, but that cost is covering training and teachers like no other and you can apply for a scholarship. My son gets weekly 1-1 singing lessons, tap, audition tech, MT plus ballet, modern and jazz, vocal technique, care of the voice etc etc and this is all streamed to ability.Class size is more than acceptable.
For 16-18 year olds this is incredible input.
They are worked hard and expected to out in 100% every single lesson - just like in real life.

I think the business is so incredibly competitive and the market flooded to absolute saturation point so any advantage is one to take.
We definitely made the right choice for him post 16
Last edited by riverdancefan on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

lotsolaffs wrote:Thank you all,it does make so much more sense to not pay out now, I have just spent so long looking and researching and have learnt so much that it will come in handy later on,I think it has come to a case of facing up to reality about colleges and glad that we aren't applying to as many as we started with.
It's hard because really we all just want the best for our DC don't we? :D
For what it's worth we're seeing an increasing number of people that have spent so much before they've got to the professional training stage, that by the time that their dc's are ready to make that step. . . finances have just dried up. I completely understand the gamble of paying out on the FE courses in the hope of getting a DADA, but it is exactly that. . . a gamble.

lotsolaffs if your dc is talented and committed this will all work out. Colleges (such as us) will work with students to help them find the funds. So don't stress now . . . save it for a few years down the line. You're most definitely NOT letting your dc down by finding free resources now. Just allowing them to even entertain this industry (pun intended) is really quite special. Sounds to me like your dc is very lucky
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I've obviously got a very sensible Dd!

We are in the fortunate position that we can pay some fees (ds has just left a "normal" private school due to it not suiting him) so that's freed up finances.

However Dd says that if she doesn't get into one of her dream choices then she can't see the point of paying fees or going further afield when we have Jill Clewes Academy on our doorstep who have an excellent track record of preparing students for 18 plus entry. So she has knocked both Abbotts Bromley & Tring off the list.

She still loves Arts Ed 6th form but she'd have to be offered a pretty impressive scholarship for that to be affordable. So she's going to audition for a couple of DaDa colleges & if she doesn't get a place or funding this time do a couple of years locally and try again at 18.
Upinlights
BRIT Award

Post by Upinlights »

Hi We've just had dates back from Urdang and Laine for 3 year diploma auditions and awaiting Millennium and Performers. Want to get them all done this side of Christmas to allow more time to concentrate on GCSE's next year. DD is 15, but is at Sylvia Young full time and feels ready to take on the diploma. Feel so nervous for her , and she would have to board for three of them so lots to consider. Urdang is favourite choice.