Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Scarytimes »

My DS said the audition at Arts Ed was the most unfriendly and felt like they were treated like cattle. A fire alarm in the middle of the jazz class didn't help either as they lost 15 minutes. It was odd as he thought it was the place he would like best and feel at home at but he didn't. It all put him off rather and it is the only one he didn't get a recall/offer from.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Arts Ed has always been one of dd’s dream colleges & she was going to apply for the 6th form course with a view to auditioning for the degree at 18.

However we now both feel that’s not the right decision for her & so she’s pulled out.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

scottishdancer00 wrote:Rejections for DD from both Royal Scottish and SLP :( however she has unconditional places to study MT at college so will go and work hard and re apply everywhere again when she’s 18. She’s said she’s felt young at BA auditions being only 17 as there are many people in their 20s and very few 17 so I feel a year at college night give her the essential extra bit of maturity that they are looking for.
I have a sad daughter tonight though, with the rejections coming so close together I think it’s overwhelmed her a bit
That's such a shame. As islandsofsodor says try to get feedback. It sounds like SLP is one of the few colleges who actually give it. It's like gold dust. She can them pick herself up and move forward with objectives to achieve.
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

islandofsodor wrote:Sorry to hear that.

My dd felt at 16 that she was one of the youngest at SLP audition too. She really liked the place & it was a confidence boost to be offered a place on the Dance course but she was disappointed to be turned down for MT.

Did she get feedback? I found them very honest & constructive & totally understood their decision.

I know RCS is very competitive.

But it’s not necessarily the end of the road. The year at college might just be what she needs to boost her skills.

Hugs to your Dd.
Thankyou , yes we got feedback - they were very complimentary about her singing but thought she spoke way too quickly ( thick Scottish accents - she’s meant to speak clearly in these auditions but gets so nervous !!! ) so didn’t understand her too well and her dance wasn’t strong enough (we knew this beforehand I think )
Onwards and Upwards!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Scarytimes wrote:My DS said the audition at Arts Ed was the most unfriendly and felt like they were treated like cattle. A fire alarm in the middle of the jazz class didn't help either as they lost 15 minutes. It was odd as he thought it was the place he would like best and feel at home at but he didn't. It all put him off rather and it is the only one he didn't get a recall/offer from.
That's a shame. It's unfortunate to have experiences like these. DS felt the same about Chichester last year, really did not like it. I think that was mostly down to the pianist messing up on his song and just went downhill from there. I was getting messages on how he wanted the day to end.

But great that DS was successful elsewhere. Where is he going?
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

My DS said the audition at Arts Ed was the most unfriendly and felt like they were treated like cattle. A fire alarm in the middle of the jazz class didn't help either as they lost 15 minutes. It was odd as he thought it was the place he would like best and feel at home at but he didn't. It all put him off rather and it is the only one he didn't get a recall/offer from.

When my DS was auditioning he really thought Mountview, GSA or Arts Ed were the ones for him. He absolutely hated Mountview with a passion and thought GSA was very cold (obvious just his personal opinions). Absolutely fell in love with Arts Ed. I do think that the right college might not be the one you originally thought and that it is important not to hone in too much on one place.
All new to me!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Caroline A-C wrote: When my DS was auditioning he really thought Mountview, GSA or Arts Ed were the ones for him. He absolutely hated Mountview with a passion and thought GSA was very cold (obvious just his personal opinions). Absolutely fell in love with Arts Ed. I do think that the right college might not be the one you originally thought and that it is important not to hone in too much on one place.
I agree Caroline A-C. By the amount of negative experiences I've read about different schools, I have deduced that there are so many dependencies on whether the day will go good or bad, number of auditionees, mistakes, the auditionee's mindset, the panel's mindset etc etc. Bit like cricket lol.

Eg my DS enjoyed his audition much more this year at Arts Ed and I believe that is mainly down to him being more confident this year.

Chichester last year was his 1st audition and he felt he had failed before he started ..... It was his lack of confidence and mindset - they do say you are being judged from the beginning. Mountview was his last which he enjoyed the most and got a recall for. I again put that down to gaining some confidence through exposure to the auditioning process. But again all the other factors come in to play.

This is though the reality of this world. This process is a taster for what's out there in the real world.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Our experience was that Artsed was the least friendly and a bit of a waste of time and money. The audition had people in it that were obviously known to the panel - they were called by name in the audition and not treated the same. They were the ones recalled. A couple of other things that were a bit off too. To be fair if their parents have been paying thousands to put their children through the school or sixth form for years, they may expect the school to offer them a place. Or the school know them and rate them, fair enough. Just felt like a done deal. Also parents not even allowed through the front door unlike other colleges who made parents welcome and gave talks or a tour. We were not the only people to dislike the audition here and the vibe. Just my opinion and this was last year not this. But this forum is interesting because opinions are shared and debated. Artsed is undoubtedly a top school for training and jobs in MT.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

Robin64 wrote:Our experience was that Artsed was the least friendly and a bit of a waste of time and money. The audition had people in it that were obviously known to the panel - they were called by name in the audition and not treated the same. They were the ones recalled. A couple of other things that were a bit off too. To be fair if their parents have been paying thousands to put their children through the school or sixth form for years, they may expect the school to offer them a place. Or the school know them and rate them, fair enough. Just felt like a done deal. Also parents not even allowed through the front door unlike other colleges who made parents welcome and gave talks or a tour. We were not the only people to dislike the audition here and the vibe. Just my opinion and this was last year not this. But this forum is interesting because opinions are shared and debated. Artsed is undoubtedly a top school for training and jobs in MT.
It is interesting isn't it. Our DD auditioned there two years ago and went to the audition knowing it wouldn't be particularly friendly. She'd been forewarned by friends who had auditioned there previously. Rude and unpleasant were the words she used. Sometimes with success comes arrogance and it's totally unnecessary. But as you say it's never going to be short of candidates.

GSA is getting a bit of negative press at the moment too around its Foundation courses in MT (not sure about Acting). Mostly internal politics though by the sounds of it.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

chivers61 wrote:
GSA is getting a bit of negative press at the moment too around its Foundation courses in MT (not sure about Acting). Mostly internal politics though by the sounds of it.
We were unimpressed with GSA last year, purely for the fact that the audition process was so short. I understand they have changed their process this year. At the end of last year's auditions, I wrote a summary review based on DS experiences of all auditions he had attended. Will be interesting to see the difference this year.

DS has Mountview audition this week - I did like the parent session they held last year, which I found most helpful.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Robin64 wrote:Our experience was that Artsed was the least friendly and a bit of a waste of time and money. The audition had people in it that were obviously known to the panel - they were called by name in the audition and not treated the same. They were the ones recalled. A couple of other things that were a bit off too. To be fair if their parents have been paying thousands to put their children through the school or sixth form for years, they may expect the school to offer them a place. Or the school know them and rate them, fair enough. Just felt like a done deal. Also parents not even allowed through the front door unlike other colleges who made parents welcome and gave talks or a tour. We were not the only people to dislike the audition here and the vibe. Just my opinion and this was last year not this. But this forum is interesting because opinions are shared and debated. Artsed is undoubtedly a top school for training and jobs in MT.
I agree, Robin64, I think the debate is good and interesting hearing other people's views. By being in this forum, I've been able to share valuable advice with DS too.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Our experience so far is at ArtsEd (see above) tried last year but didn't bother this year.

GSA - Very short first round audition last year, got recall despite cold and voice crack, great recall day, very high standard and super competitive - a no. On that day one of their foundation students also did not get picked and was in tears at the end. Really hard to see.
Tried again this year. Longer first round which included a dance workshop which was not tough for experienced dancers plus the singing. Enjoyed it and hoping for recall but who knows - probably hear soon. Would choose for the acting/singing reputation. Already got the grades so that is not an issue for DD. Tip would definitely be nail a song for the first audition.

Urdang - Tough, almost brutal audition, not unfriendly but not massively warm. Good chance to interact with present students and find out more. Last year I attended a talk and tour on audition day but didn't repeat this year. It was useful. The previous experience and foundation made it less intimidating this year and DD felt she did her best. The standard for dance in the audition is high with a very fast jazz routine to learn. DD likes and would love a recall but not holding out much hope I think. She has a friend there (male) who was unhappy there at first but seems to have settled into enjoying it - not a strong dancer so that is probably why that occurred. Nice area. It is a bit commercial for me (from my admittedly limited knowledge) and there are some financial issues including some sort of retainer I am hearing about but DD does like it. Quite a business-like vibe. Girls - they like a made-up face and red lip and a bright leotard for jazz. Will hear shortly I think but DD steeling herself for a no.

Bird The most friendly and welcoming college we went to for auditions. Cuppa for parents, great talk, nice staff, good atmosphere. Audition high standard and very thorough, tough dance audition. DD got a foundation offer and took it. Loving the course and living in halls with really great people - all at Bird. Auditions are in May and not all the foundation students will get an offer so nerves are kicking in a bit. Would like to stay but only down side has probably been slightly less singing and acting than DD would ideally have liked but it is a dance college foremost and the third year shows do have superb singing and acting in so don't think it is too much of a down. Good place with full student finance available and that means a diverse bunch of students from all backgrounds.

Going to try Central for a very different type of course and college and because DD does love her acting. She is slightly worried about missing out on dance but might supplement with outside dance lessons. All in theory as have not been yet.

One thing that has become a little evident to me is it might help to audition early and if it is another no year, DD will try one more time but go early in the audition season. Friend got in on third try for GSA. She has a friend who auditioned early this year and has offer already from Bird. Obviously foundation students all go later to make the most of the year. I would have liked DD to try Royal Scottish but she wasn't keen on the distance and she would have liked to try Mountview but we can't afford top ups. If she has to try again we would have to look at other places too I think. Then after that a change of direction but still something theatre/arts related.

The cost of the auditions and staying over/ travel etc is high so factor that in if planning ahead for next year. Last year we booked 2 together day after each other to save on costs but not sure this was a great plan as they were two tough ones and meant second day a bit of fatigue crept in so something to think of.

I want to wish everyone all the best, it is pretty hard going for us parents too. Fingers crossed for you all. Hope our little bits of experience might be helpful as I have gleaned loads from here over the years and that is down to people taking the time to share the good and bad times.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Robin64 wrote:Our experience so far is at ArtsEd (see above) tried last year but didn't bother this year.

GSA - Very short first round audition last year, got recall despite cold and voice crack, great recall day, very high standard and super competitive - a no. On that day one of their foundation students also did not get picked and was in tears at the end. Really hard to see.
Tried again this year. Longer first round which included a dance workshop which was not tough for experienced dancers plus the singing. Enjoyed it and hoping for recall but who knows - probably hear soon. Would choose for the acting/singing reputation. Already got the grades so that is not an issue for DD. Tip would definitely be nail a song for the first audition.

Urdang - Tough, almost brutal audition, not unfriendly but not massively warm. Good chance to interact with present students and find out more. Last year I attended a talk and tour on audition day but didn't repeat this year. It was useful. The previous experience and foundation made it less intimidating this year and DD felt she did her best. The standard for dance in the audition is high with a very fast jazz routine to learn. DD likes and would love a recall but not holding out much hope I think. She has a friend there (male) who was unhappy there at first but seems to have settled into enjoying it - not a strong dancer so that is probably why that occurred. Nice area. It is a bit commercial for me (from my admittedly limited knowledge) and there are some financial issues including some sort of retainer I am hearing about but DD does like it. Quite a business-like vibe. Girls - they like a made-up face and red lip and a bright leotard for jazz. Will hear shortly I think but DD steeling herself for a no.

Bird The most friendly and welcoming college we went to for auditions. Cuppa for parents, great talk, nice staff, good atmosphere. Audition high standard and very thorough, tough dance audition. DD got a foundation offer and took it. Loving the course and living in halls with really great people - all at Bird. Auditions are in May and not all the foundation students will get an offer so nerves are kicking in a bit. Would like to stay but only down side has probably been slightly less singing and acting than DD would ideally have liked but it is a dance college foremost and the third year shows do have superb singing and acting in so don't think it is too much of a down. Good place with full student finance available and that means a diverse bunch of students from all backgrounds.

Going to try Central for a very different type of course and college and because DD does love her acting. She is slightly worried about missing out on dance but might supplement with outside dance lessons. All in theory as have not been yet.

One thing that has become a little evident to me is it might help to audition early and if it is another no year, DD will try one more time but go early in the audition season. Friend got in on third try for GSA. She has a friend who auditioned early this year and has offer already from Bird. Obviously foundation students all go later to make the most of the year. I would have liked DD to try Royal Scottish but she wasn't keen on the distance and she would have liked to try Mountview but we can't afford top ups. If she has to try again we would have to look at other places too I think. Then after that a change of direction but still something theatre/arts related.

The cost of the auditions and staying over/ travel etc is high so factor that in if planning ahead for next year. Last year we booked 2 together day after each other to save on costs but not sure this was a great plan as they were two tough ones and meant second day a bit of fatigue crept in so something to think of.

I want to wish everyone all the best, it is pretty hard going for us parents too. Fingers crossed for you all. Hope our little bits of experience might be helpful as I have gleaned loads from here over the years and that is down to people taking the time to share the good and bad times.
Thank you for sharing Robin64. Sounds like you are on tenterhooks too with the waiting. Fingers crossed for GSA/Urdang. Urdang isn't on our list as DS is not a dancer, but I see it as the elite, the one to get into for dance?? DS's friend got in last year, who is a sensational dancer.

It's interesting that schools being 'warm' does come up quite a bit in these forums, I have mentioned it too a couple of times. Re the likes of Urdang/Arts ed/GSA etc, because this field is so competitive and they have luxury of choice, they can afford to get away with not being warm, but also, I think it's necessary for students to experience this as this is a glimpse of reality. Using myself as an example, my DS has been in a supportive cocoon. Having been through the process last year, I am coming at it from a different angle. I am encouraging him to use this experience to help build his resilience. He will be faced with blank faced panels, it's his job to be accountable, do his best, to shine and get noticed..... out of thousands of applicants who walk through the door. Not much :? It's tough tough tough
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

But great that DS was successful elsewhere. Where is he going?[/quote]

Not sure yet - may not get enough from any of the funding recalls to go anywhere :? so the next few months are going to be tense with 5 recalls.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Scarytimes wrote:But great that DS was successful elsewhere. Where is he going?
Not sure yet - may not get enough from any of the funding recalls to go anywhere :? so the next few months are going to be tense with 5 recalls.[/quote]

It's bad enough waiting to find out if you have been successful in audition, but funding too!! Good luck! [-o<