Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Candafitt
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Candafitt »

Live_thedream wrote:Congrats Candafitt, one step closer!! These things aren't straightforward at all are they, you get over one hurdle and then there's another one! :roll: I have heard of plenty of people who get through when on the reserve list so fingers crossed.

I agree with Sherbert, it is difficult to pitch Trinity against long-standing GSA - particularly if you are thinking long term and employment chances. I do know however two people who turned down GSA to go to elsewhere that wouldn't be considered as high as GSA (one due to being offered a scholarship elsewhere and the other just didn't feel GSA was for her and went for a different college). Hoping your DS can be spoilt for choice - I'm sure he will know which place is right for him.

Also, I remember reading on someone's blog that they managed to get themselves bumped up the order when on the reserve list (another place, not GSA) because they regularly checked to see where they were on the list, and that got him in due to his commitment to the college! Not sure if this works everywhere, but thought it was worth sharing. :)
Thank you Live_thedream that’s all good to know! Just when I thought it was time to relax I feel more stressed than ever before :roll: fingers remain firmly crossed xx
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Candafitt wrote: Thank you Live_thedream that’s all good to know! Just when I thought it was time to relax I feel more stressed than ever before :roll: fingers remain firmly crossed xx
I can totally imagine the stress. I don't think anyone else gets what it's like. It had a real knock-on effect on me last year (as I was studying a PG qualification too) and was seriously stressed out by the Summer. Hence why I have tried to be more relaxed about it this year (still studying lol) but still very difficult. Parents need to go and book themselves a good spa break after it's all over!!! ;)
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Live_thedream wrote:
I can totally imagine the stress. I don't think anyone else gets what it's like. It had a real knock-on effect on me last year (as I was studying a PG qualification too) and was seriously stressed out by the Summer. Hence why I have tried to be more relaxed about it this year (still studying lol) but still very difficult. Parents need to go and book themselves a good spa break after it's all over!!! ;)
Totally agree! =D>
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Sherbert wrote:That’s great news - well done to your DS - I bet he’s really torn between TL and GSA now...

Like yours, my DS has an offer of BA at Trinity and has his GSA recall on Sat 28th April....I bet this is the last recall date and they’ll know soon after that

I was all geared up for Trinity, had looked into everything and now his GSA recall has thrown us a bit of a curveball (hopefully...) we’ll know soon enough eh x

GSA has such a good name - it’s difficult not to kind of favour it because of that
And of course because of the high grade requirements of GSA, there will be people moving from reserve after A levels - possibly replacing my DS :-# . Good luck to both your DS - at least doing the last recall they will be able to assess him against their list immediately so he'll know where he stands.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote:lol fantastic news for you two! Although can I say I really hope your sons get into gsa which is amazing!! then someone will move up to the trinity mt BA hons then... my DD will move off reserve and onto the foundation year!!! What a selfish moo I am lol xxx quietly hiding in corner of shame!
=D> Good one Marissa.

Think we all just want this uncertainty over. Don't blame you at all :lol:
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Scarytimes wrote:
Sherbert wrote:That’s great news - well done to your DS - I bet he’s really torn between TL and GSA now...

Like yours, my DS has an offer of BA at Trinity and has his GSA recall on Sat 28th April....I bet this is the last recall date and they’ll know soon after that

I was all geared up for Trinity, had looked into everything and now his GSA recall has thrown us a bit of a curveball (hopefully...) we’ll know soon enough eh x

GSA has such a good name - it’s difficult not to kind of favour it because of that
And of course because of the high grade requirements of GSA, there will be people moving from reserve after A levels - possibly replacing my DS :-# . Good luck to both your DS - at least doing the last recall they will be able to assess him against their list immediately so he'll know where he stands.
True scarytimes although my DS doesn’t have the grades required (he’s miles off with CCD) so I’m not even sure why he went there! :lol: but as you say say at least we’ll know pretty much straight after his recall
I’m just going with Trinity as where he is going in Sep just to keep my head clear xx
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

I can honestly say I’m so glad to have found this site! \:D/ I feel I’m beginning to bore my friends and my husband!! :lol: :lol: :lol: it also doesn’t help being off work for 2 weeks, too much time to overthink ](*,)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Candafitt wrote:I can honestly say I’m so glad to have found this site! \:D/ I feel I’m beginning to bore my friends and my husband!! :lol: :lol: :lol: it also doesn’t help being off work for 2 weeks, too much time to overthink ](*,)
Totally agree x I'm back in work so at least I'm busy x
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Bad news on our front I am afraid. DD was supposed to be auditioning for Chichester this coming weekend (following her cancelled audition a few weeks back due to the weather) but she is ill :( . Ulcerated tonsils, can barely speak let alone sing and feeling very unwell in general, and has been like it since last Friday with no improvement. Has been to the doctor where they have taken swabs but results not due in until this Friday, and she has decided not to attend her audition as she knows she cannot remotely do her best whilst feeling like this. Looks like game over for us this year, and it will be a year out and further training, as we are all out of options and ideas and time is definitely running out for Sept 2018 entry (certainly for anything with a funded place)!
Am very cross about the cancelled first audition (when she was in 100% health) and sad for her that it isn't working out as she hoped.

best of luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear from recent auditions xxx
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Bad news on our front I am afraid. DD was supposed to be auditioning for Chichester this coming weekend (following her cancelled audition a few weeks back due to the weather) but she is ill :( . Ulcerated tonsils, can barely speak let alone sing and feeling very unwell in general, and has been like it since last Friday with no improvement. Has been to the doctor where they have taken swabs but results not due in until this Friday, and she has decided not to attend her audition as she knows she cannot remotely do her best whilst feeling like this. Looks like game over for us this year, and it will be a year out and further training, as we are all out of options and ideas and time is definitely running out for Sept 2018 entry (certainly for anything with a funded place)!
Am very cross about the cancelled first audition (when she was in 100% health) and sad for her that it isn't working out as she hoped.

best of luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear from recent auditions xxx
Hello rhythmanddreams

Give Chichester a ring and explain the situation with your daughter, there may be something they can do, don't give up. My DD has just had to intermit her 1st year at Chichester, she is going back in September this year. My DD needs her tonsils out, we are having to go private. She has been so ill since September the UNI won't have her back until they are out. This has been a common compliant on the triple threat at Chichester this year with several of the students needing their tonsils out. There may be something Chichester can do for your daughter, it is only April and they take around 60 students per course. If you have to re audition next year apply early especially if you need a place with student finance cause once the colleges/Unis are full we found the audition process was just like ticking boxes in the first year, after applying early in the second year it was completely different.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Bad news on our front I am afraid. DD was supposed to be auditioning for Chichester this coming weekend (following her cancelled audition a few weeks back due to the weather) but she is ill :( . Ulcerated tonsils, can barely speak let alone sing and feeling very unwell in general, and has been like it since last Friday with no improvement. Has been to the doctor where they have taken swabs but results not due in until this Friday, and she has decided not to attend her audition as she knows she cannot remotely do her best whilst feeling like this. Looks like game over for us this year, and it will be a year out and further training, as we are all out of options and ideas and time is definitely running out for Sept 2018 entry (certainly for anything with a funded place)!

Oh no! But I agree call Chichester x there's nothing to lose xxx Goodluck and I hope she feels better soon xxx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Check for glandular fever. Both my DDs had this and severe sore throat with white stuff in the throat is the main sign of it. Ask doctor to test for it. Needs steady recuperation and rest - at least 2 weeks off school or college. I would ring about the audition - there may be something that can be done but wishing your DD a speedy recovery xx
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Robin64 wrote:

Check for glandular fever. Both my DDs had this and severe sore throat with white stuff in the throat is the main sign of it. Ask doctor to test for it. Needs steady recuperation and rest - at least 2 weeks off school or college. I would ring about the audition - there may be something that can be done but wishing your DD a speedy recovery xx
Hi robin64

Its glandular fever that has caused the problem with my DD tonsils and the reason why she now needs them out. She has been in hospital four times requiring introvenus steroids and antibiotics.
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Robin64 wrote: Check for glandular fever. Both my DDs had this and severe sore throat with white stuff in the throat is the main sign of it. Ask doctor to test for it. Needs steady recuperation and rest - at least 2 weeks off school or college. I would ring about the audition - there may be something that can be done but wishing your DD a speedy recovery xx
Thanks Robin, she has complaining that her tongue and throat are covered in white stuff, hope it's not glandular fever - she has her A Levels as well soon and can't afford any time off school really! She went in today, but had to come home at lunchtime as she wasn't feeling good at all. Hopefully the results will be back by friday with a better indication of what's wrong.
I will suggest to her that we ring Chichester and speak to them, at the moment I think she is too ill to care - in her head she has given up and it's now all over for this year because she can't go this weekend.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Robin64 wrote: Check for glandular fever. Both my DDs had this and severe sore throat with white stuff in the throat is the main sign of it. Ask doctor to test for it. Needs steady recuperation and rest - at least 2 weeks off school or college. I would ring about the audition - there may be something that can be done but wishing your DD a speedy recovery xx
Thanks Robin, she has complaining that her tongue and throat are covered in white stuff, hope it's not glandular fever - she has her A Levels as well soon and can't afford any time off school really! She went in today, but had to come home at lunchtime as she wasn't feeling good at all. Hopefully the results will be back by friday with a better indication of what's wrong.
I will suggest to her that we ring Chichester and speak to them, at the moment I think she is too ill to care - in her head she has given up and it's now all over for this year because she can't go this weekend.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. You must be so frustrated as it could have been avoided. My DS ended up in hospital with GF and tonsillitis too on steroids and intravenous antibiotics. He was wiped out for 3 months at least but still tired 2 months after. It was tough due to physical aspect of musical theatre.

As Robin64 said, your DD needs plenty of rest if it is GF and no strenuous activities at all. I hope it isn't GF for her sake due to A levels but sure school can be accommodating.

It's a mystery why they are prone to getting it so severely at this age.