Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Scarytimes wrote:The GSA offer has come through on UCAS but DS having a bit of an academic crisis and is not sure AAB is even possible.
Does anyone know if GSA are at all flexible if they have offered you a place and you don't quite get the grades?
He is thinking that ABB or even BBB may be more likely though he is probably pessimistic.
Congratulations to your DS on his offer from GSA, thats fantastic!! =D> \:D/ and best of luck with the exam results.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:The GSA offer has come through on UCAS but DS having a bit of an academic crisis and is not sure AAB is even possible.
Does anyone know if GSA are at all flexible if they have offered you a place and you don't quite get the grades?
He is thinking that ABB or even BBB may be more likely though he is probably pessimistic.
Congratulations to your DS on his offer from GSA, thats fantastic!! =D> \:D/ and best of luck with the exam results.
Based on prior posts on here, unless things have changed, they have been inflexible on grades in the past. We were told clearly at an open day (two years ago) that they were allowed to take up to 20% of entrants below the grades required. Our intereprtation was that that meant they would offer 20% at lower grades up front and not that they would accept people who did not achieve their offer grades. Big caveat though that this was 2 years ago.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

lbm1e14 wrote:
rhythmanddreams wrote:
Based on prior posts on here, unless things have changed, they have been inflexible on grades in the past. We were told clearly at an open day (two years ago) that they were allowed to take up to 20% of entrants below the grades required. Our intereprtation was that that meant they would offer 20% at lower grades up front and not that they would accept people who did not achieve their offer grades. Big caveat though that this was 2 years ago.
20%? That's better than I thought as I thought they didn't let anyone through not on the grades. Still to hear from anyone who hasn't met the grade requirements and that has got accepted.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote:
kzgirl wrote:
Can I ask can you get food there? I forgot lunch for DD ! I will be running around trying to find something for her tomorrow morning x
Hi Marissa, are you at the Chester City Centre Premier Inn? There is a convenience store located around the corner approx 3 min walk away from there. It's a little bit further up from the catering supplies store, and is open 6am - 10pm. (ask hotel reception for directions)
You should be able to get her something for her lunch there in the morning, for tomorrow!
Best of luck to your DD!! [-o<
Thankyou xxx
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

My DS is in the same boat wondering this too....he was told by a friend who’s there now that they don’t accept you if the grades aren’t reached as there are so many that do achieve AAB there’s no need to!? However, I’ve also heard if they want you, they might?!???! So no clearer really, sorry.
My DS has his recall soon, so we will see.
The dilemma we also have is, his Trinity Laban offer is awaiting acceptance on UCAS, but if he were to be offered GSA obviously we won’t know how realistic that is before results day! So how does that work as I’m sure he needs to accept or decline Trinity before then????? In all honesty he is beginning to favour Trinity as oddly even though it’s ‘in London’ with the maint loan being higher but the accommodation being almost the same price and the fact Trinity offer a bursary (means tested), this actually works out better for him financially.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Candafitt wrote:
My DS is in the same boat wondering this too....he was told by a friend who’s there now that they don’t accept you if the grades aren’t reached as there are so many that do achieve AAB there’s no need to!? However, I’ve also heard if they want you, they might?!???! So no clearer really, sorry.
My DS has his recall soon, so we will see.
The dilemma we also have is, his Trinity Laban offer is awaiting acceptance on UCAS, but if he were to be offered GSA obviously we won’t know how realistic that is before results day! So how does that work as I’m sure he needs to accept or decline Trinity before then????? In all honesty he is beginning to favour Trinity as oddly even though it’s ‘in London’ with the maint loan being higher but the accommodation being almost the same price and the fact Trinity offer a bursary (means tested), this actually works out better for him financially.
My DD hasn't applied to Trinity this year, but last year she did that via CUCAS and the others via UCAS. At the time CUCAS told us if she got a Trinity Offer she could accept that as first choice on CUCAs and the other degree on on UCAS and then make your decision on results day

Worth calling them - they were very helpful to us
Last edited by Munchpot on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Well it's 2pm and we have heard nothing from DD x hopefully it's a good sign? Hammond said there would be two cuts today x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Marissa wrote:Well it's 2pm and we have heard nothing from DD x hopefully it's a good sign? Hammond said there would be two cuts today x
Fingers crossed
GillyM
Nominee

Post by GillyM »

Marissa wrote:Well it's 2pm and we have heard nothing from DD x hopefully it's a good sign? Hammond said there would be two cuts today x
Hope it is good news!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thankyou x DD survived the two cuts xxx she's shattered and has a headache but we are now on our way home x All seems good x now just to hope and pray again xxx But our audition year is over!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

lbm1e14 wrote:
rhythmanddreams wrote:
Based on prior posts on here, unless things have changed, they have been inflexible on grades in the past.
That's what I've read too. My interpretation of they'll lower the grade for 20% of people, is that they would make them a lower offer in the first place. Perhaps people who have already got their A level/Btec qualifications and if they like you, they'll accept your grades even if lower than AAB. And if they really, really want you, and you are waiting for results, they will consider dropping the criteria if you don't get the required grades. But I'm just guessing. :D

I do know someone currently at GSA and though I don't know her A level grades, based on what I know of her and the GCSE grades she got, I suspect they were high. She's also an outstanding singer and from what I've read about GSA, very good singing voice and very good grades are the 2 things they like (and why I'll not suggest my own DD applies there :lol: )
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote:Thankyou x DD survived the two cuts xxx she's shattered and has a headache but we are now on our way home x All seems good x now just to hope and pray again xxx But our audition year is over!
Well done to her and very encouraging. That horrible waiting period now.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

lawn wrote:
lbm1e14 wrote:
rhythmanddreams wrote:
Based on prior posts on here, unless things have changed, they have been inflexible on grades in the past.
That's what I've read too. My interpretation of they'll lower the grade for 20% of people, is that they would make them a lower offer in the first place. Perhaps people who have already got their A level/Btec qualifications and if they like you, they'll accept your grades even if lower than AAB. And if they really, really want you, and you are waiting for results, they will consider dropping the criteria if you don't get the required grades. But I'm just guessing. :D

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to be hassling him to revise for the next few months then ;) A level drama performance being recorded this week and Music performance straight after half term so it's all getting serious now.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Marissa wrote:Thankyou x DD survived the two cuts xxx she's shattered and has a headache but we are now on our way home x All seems good x now just to hope and pray again xxx But our audition year is over!

Sounds like your DD did really well today xx fingers crossed for her xx
GillyM
Nominee

Post by GillyM »

Well done to her - hope you both liked it!