Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Candafitt
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Candafitt »

This whole auditioning process has almost finished me off :lol: this year!! It’s my DS first year of auditioning for MT he’s managed to get recalls at all schools auditioned for so far, which I was shocked at tbh. Arts Ed offered him foundation, CSSD he didn’t get to second recall, Trinity Laban have offered him 3yr BA Hons! Just got his GSA and Mountview recalls left, phew!! He was also recalled at Emil Dale and due to audition for M.A.D.D as back ups, but looking like Trinity for Sept atm. I feel as though I’ve been auditioning myself, I’ve lost sleep been worried sick! It’s ridiculous really, but I just know how passionate he is about continuing in MT after finishing his BTec. Wishing everyone on here so much luck xx
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

kzgirl wrote:
lynne wrote:Hi
Been watching this thread with interest. My daughter was also rejected for the Trinity Laban BA. We also have been asked if we wish to consider the foundation. Does anyone know what the contact hours are like for the foundation? Also does anyone know if you can get hb from Greenwich easily. Anyone know anything about the foundation at Trinity? decisions decisions. We have no other choices atm other than doing a gap year and getting a job to save for next year. Concerned that a year off training will reduce chances for next year as has been doing a btec this year at Italia Conti. But the cost is putting us off!
Hi
I would’t be too concerned about your DD taking a year off dancing.Our DD took 2 years out due to ill health, she is now doing her degree course on the triple threat at Chichester. It wasn’t an easy audition but she got a place. My advice would be to audition early especially for the funded places through UCAS. Personally I wouldn’t pay for a foundation course as you probably won’t get any change out of £10,000 for the year. Your DD could have private dance lessons and singing lessons and live at home for the year it wouldn’t cost anywhere near what a foundation course would cost. Obviously this is just my view and others would disagree with me. It’s a struggle for most of us to achieve this training for our DC.

All I can say as my DS is coming to the end of his foundation year is for us it was worth the 10k as there is no way he would have had such intense training at home - I don’t think he would have been motivated enough to do the intense dance he needed, etc

As for hours, he has done 9.30-5.30 pretty much every day he has been there - it’s ALOT of money I know that but he was so ready for the auditions this year compared to last - luckily we had just sold a house at the right time so we were in a position to fund it - if it’s doable financially I recommend foundation but if your DC is 100% on it living at home for a year training hard in all areas then I can’t see why that wouldn’t work too xx
Best of luck xx
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Candafitt wrote:This whole auditioning process has almost finished me off :lol: this year!! It’s my DS first year of auditioning for MT he’s managed to get recalls at all schools auditioned for so far, which I was shocked at tbh. Arts Ed offered him foundation, CSSD he didn’t get to second recall, Trinity Laban have offered him 3yr BA Hons! Just got his GSA and Mountview recalls left, phew!! He was also recalled at Emil Dale and due to audition for M.A.D.D as back ups, but looking like Trinity for Sept atm. I feel as though I’ve been auditioning myself, I’ve lost sleep been worried sick! It’s ridiculous really, but I just know how passionate he is about continuing in MT after finishing his BTec. Wishing everyone on here so much luck xx
I know how you feel!
Your DS has done SO WELL with all of those recalls!! Well done to him xx
My DS went straight from Alevels to foundation at Mountview last year and now he’s off to Trinity in Sep for the BA too ;) x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Sherbert wrote:
Candafitt wrote:This whole auditioning process has almost finished me off :lol: this year!! It’s my DS first year of auditioning for MT he’s managed to get recalls at all schools auditioned for so far, which I was shocked at tbh. Arts Ed offered him foundation, CSSD he didn’t get to second recall, Trinity Laban have offered him 3yr BA Hons! Just got his GSA and Mountview recalls left, phew!! He was also recalled at Emil Dale and due to audition for M.A.D.D as back ups, but looking like Trinity for Sept atm. I feel as though I’ve been auditioning myself, I’ve lost sleep been worried sick! It’s ridiculous really, but I just know how passionate he is about continuing in MT after finishing his BTec. Wishing everyone on here so much luck xx
I know how you feel!
My DS went straight from Alevels to foundation at Mountview last year and now he’s off to Trinity in Sep for the BA too ;) x
Amazing for both of your DS!!!
Us well if there's a chance of a foundation yr at Trinity we will do our best to take it x I started a crowdfunding page last night and not one person has said we shouldn't try and go for it x I am so touched by support from people I don't know that how could we not go for it x Just need an offer now and a big bank loan lol x
Joshan18
Nominee

Post by Joshan18 »

My daughter has a Foundation offer this year for the second time at the same school for acting. Last year we couldn't afford it so she is on a gap year. This time we have money for a new drive saved up. However she is working so hard and on a zero hours contract that her shifts are variable. Also where we live there are not a lot of places to train...lots of amdram musical theatre groups but the straight drama groups are all older. Therefore we will pay for the foundation this year, it is 30 hours contact a week so she will benefit immensely and get a feel for drama school training. She still has 4 more places to audition at so it may not happen...fingers and toes crossed :D
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Sherbert wrote:
I know how you feel!

Thank you!! Good luck to your DS too for September!!

We’ve been discussing the other 2 recalls today and in reality he’s considering pulling out of the Mountview recall. Reasons being if he were lucky enough to get a place, without some form of scholarship we would be unable to find the additional funds to pay for the course, so it’s fairly unrealistic for us. What with the recall being over 2 days, travel accommodation etc, it’s money I can spend for September. GSA is realistic with student finance so that’s still on!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Candafitt wrote:

We’ve been discussing the other 2 recalls today and in reality he’s considering pulling out of the Mountview recall. Reasons being if he were lucky enough to get a place, without some form of scholarship we would be unable to find the additional funds to pay for the course, so it’s fairly unrealistic for us. What with the recall being over 2 days, travel accommodation etc, it’s money I can spend for September. GSA is realistic with student finance so that’s still on!
I think this is a great approach to have. If the Mountview option is totally unrealistic then by pulling out of the recall, someone who might be a point or two below your DS may well get the place your DS might have been offered (if that makes sense)

Congratulations and good luck for GSA
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

Hi everyone, I’m a total newbie but I’ve found this forum so incredibly useful. My DD is on the journey with Urdang (place and awaiting funding audition), Laine (place and awaiting funding audition) and Bird (offer, current reserve for funding) and Wilkes and Performers auditions to go. In previous years my DDs friends have been offered funded places either on the audition day or very soon after but I haven’t heard of this happening this year, has anyone else? We are not wealthy so my DD can only accept a place with funding, and I’m finding it all pretty stressful! It would be heartbreaking to receive offers but not be able to accept them due to funding.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:Hi everyone, I’m a total newbie but I’ve found this forum so incredibly useful. My DD is on the journey with Urdang (place and awaiting funding audition), Laine (place and awaiting funding audition) and Bird (offer, current reserve for funding) and Wilkes and Performers auditions to go. In previous years my DDs friends have been offered funded places either on the audition day or very soon after but I haven’t heard of this happening this year, has anyone else? We are not wealthy so my DD can only accept a place with funding, and I’m finding it all pretty stressful! It would be heartbreaking to receive offers but not be able to accept them due to funding.
Goodluck although it sounds like your DD has done really well x is it her first year?
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

Yes my DDs first year of auditions and only have a few friends who have been through this before, hence why this forum is so useful. My DD is a dancer but has been having singing lessons for the last year to help prepare for auditions and now finds she loves it!
Has anyone been to Move It this year? We couldn’t make it but I’ve seen some footage and performances by Performers, Wilkes & Urdang were incredible. I’d feel so blessed if my DD got to be a part of one of these colleges. I’d love to hear others views if they managed to see performances.
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Munchpot wrote:
Candafitt wrote:

I think this is a great approach to have. If the Mountview option is totally unrealistic then by pulling out of the recall, someone who might be a point or two below your DS may well get the place your DS might have been offered (if that makes sense)

Congratulations and good luck for GSA
Thank you :)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Omg! SNOW again! I've got Hammond audition on Tuesday! We are supposed to be driving up tomorrow night!!! Please go!!! Hubbys going to freak about driving I know it and this is DDs last audition!!! We need this one!
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Marissa wrote:Omg! SNOW again! I've got Hammond audition on Tuesday! We are supposed to be driving up tomorrow night!!! Please go!!! Hubbys going to freak about driving I know it and this is DDs last audition!!! We need this one!
I have family up north in Lancashire it is really bad, could you not go today. I know it will be more expense but once you are there you don’t need to worry too much. It is forecast for another foot of snow to come down today in the north of the country.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

We are stuck here now as we are in wales x no getting out today x we are supposed to be going tomorrow night so if works shut tomorrow we will head off early if we can get car out. It's supposed to snow here till seven tonight. Hubby is right now just digging us out of front door!
Joshan18
Nominee

Post by Joshan18 »

Marissa we live about 14 miles away from the Hammond. There is very little snow here today. It may be slightly worse in Chester but I would imagine that the roads will be prretty clear now.