Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Robin64 »

Wow! amazing offers so firstly well done!! I would sway towards GSA but probably because DD would have chosen that way. I am no expert on Laine. I would say you might get a more diverse crowd at GSA income wise as it is probably the more affordable option (not to take away from Laine - it has a great reputation). GSA seem to love him and really want him and have made the offer to get him. Accommodation wise GSA has a nice campus and it might work out a bit cheaper and easier to secure. DD did a summer school there a couple of years ago and really loved it. Said tutors were great. She knows people who are there on the MT course and they are enjoying it.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Sorry that wasn't very clear. I meant the GSA degree is more affordable as in the loan covers the full fees but as he has a dada that is a bit different. So I suppose as others have said it depends how that works for you. No fee loan to pay back but does the dada help enough?
If that doesn't matter it would have to go to those personal pros and cons and that feeling... Good luck but I am sure either will be fantastic.
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

Scarytimes, congrats on your DS’ offers! My dd is at Laine so can only give specific info for there. Dd got the “feeling” at Laine as soon as she walked in and throughout her audition. She is a good all rounder but her particular strength is voice. She has friends at GSA so can compare the two based on their experiences to date. The days are longer and fuller at Laine - 8.30am start right through til 4.30/6pm every day. The year is also longer at Laine. Dd started a good month before her friend, GSA have already broken up for summer and Laine have another 3 weeks to go. GSA is similar to university life with a jam packed freshers period, Laine are straight to work. From what I can gather GSA do a lot of acting based work (as the name would suggest)
this is from her friend on the MT course. That’s as much as I can compare the two I’m afraid. With regard specifically to Laine, they’ve just finished their summer show. It was spectacular! Many students are graduating with wonderful jobs already. And what I didn’t know before dd started training there was how important these showcases are for their students. The whole week saw a who’s who of West End casting directors, choreographers, current West End performers, agents etc attend. The students get to work with the choreographers who have work in the show. It’s fabulous for the students as you can imagine. From spring showcase and summer show, my dd has made some amazing connections already! From this perspective, Laine really have their finger on the pulse. I can’t comment on how other colleges work though I’m afraid. Best of luck to you DS on making a decision, both fantastic offers to have!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

reachforthestars wrote:Scarytimes, congrats on your DS’ offers! My dd is at Laine so can only give specific info for there. Dd got the “feeling” at Laine as soon as she walked in and throughout her audition. She is a good all rounder but her particular strength is voice. She has friends at GSA so can compare the two based on their experiences to date. The days are longer and fuller at Laine - 8.30am start right through til 4.30/6pm every day. The year is also longer at Laine. Dd started a good month before her friend, GSA have already broken up for summer and Laine have another 3 weeks to go. GSA is similar to university life with a jam packed freshers period, Laine are straight to work. From what I can gather GSA do a lot of acting based work (as the name would suggest)
this is from her friend on the MT course.
Many thanks reachforthestars - great to hear the personal perspective on both from a current student. Not sure about DS but I’m completely torn!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Robin64 wrote:Sorry that wasn't very clear. I meant the GSA degree is more affordable as in the loan covers the full fees but as he has a dada that is a bit different. So I suppose as others have said it depends how that works for you. No fee loan to pay back but does the dada help enough?
If that doesn't matter it would have to go to those personal pros and cons and that feeling... Good luck but I am sure either will be fantastic.
Thanks very much Robin64. You were very clear -it made sense to me first time :) - and yes there is a financial difference that would make it a stretch for us to afford Laine. The difference between getting a £5k maintenance loan and getting no support for accommodation and living nearer London is quite a chunk, then the DaDA doesn’t quite cover all the fees too - not by much though in comparison.

Argh! This gets harder the more I think about it!!
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

WOW Scarytimes! What a fantastic choice to have to make. As others have said, he will have an amazing time whichever he chooses. Having said that Central London accommodation is insanely expensive. DS has had to settle for a huge commute to get (vaguely) affordable accommodation, which I'm already a bit worried about. I know we hate that financial considerations have to inform their choices, but it also has practical implications too. But, having said that still a wonderful position to be in. Good luck to you both!
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Well done All so far, great reading your exciting news. I'm in need of some help regarding dada's, does anyone have any experience with receiving more than 1? Or offered one but waiting for degree offer? Were you able to hold on to the one received? if you could pm me, I'm feeling rather out of my depth. Can feel a proper melt down coming on :?
TeethandTwinkles
Nominee

Post by TeethandTwinkles »

Belledancer wrote:Dd and I watched a truly outstanding end of year Show at Laine last night. She's soo excited but also very nervous -it's getting so real now!
Me too! It was amazing! Very excited for my DD to start at LAINE now.xx
TeethandTwinkles
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018 - Dilemma!

Post by TeethandTwinkles »

Scarytimes wrote:All my lovely NAPM friends. We need some HELP and common sense!

DS finished his A levels this morning and then was offered DaDA funding by Laine at lunchtime :D
(so for all your info they have reached #2 on boys reserve list).

Two weeks ago GSA wrote to him to reduce his grade requirements from AAB to BCC as one of their "talented exceptions" :D and his exams have gone pretty well he thinks, but with two performance based ones (Theatre Studies and Music) it does depend a bit on what the examiners think of his performance, composition and saxophone pieces.

Do we accept Laine or gamble on GSA?
He has turned down his place at LSC and has Urdang as second option on UCAS, so this is the only decision left.

I appreciate that some of you may have strong views about this and I know there should be a gut feel from him, but he genuinely loved both places - very different but equally attractive. he is flattered to have the GSA recognition and feels a bit behind the curve as reserve on Laine to start with as those with offers straight away have now sorted their accommodation.

I also know we are very lucky to have these choices. I am proud of him and very grateful that several colleges saw something in him, but I do think a lot of it is down to luck and whether you have the look they are seeking this year, so we are not feeling smug and entitled! He said most of the people he met at audition were really talented - all with different strengths, he is very much an all rounder with equal talent in all three - not the absolute best in any of them, but has something there when he performs.

I have sent him off to do pros and cons, but any insights and thoughts welcomed. PM me if you prefer.
So pleased for you both but don't envy this decision as both colleges are amazing! A lovely position and I really feel he will do well wherever he chooses. So thrilled for him and your family!
I also saw the Laine show and it really blew me away! Such diverse talent being shown. I think Laine has had a previous reputation of being very classical and after a certain 'look' but this show dispelled all those myths; tap, jazz, commercial, MT, ballet, contemporary, singing, acting... all disciplines outstanding... it felt really fresh and exciting! Congratulations to all those students and teachers! Excited for my DD to start in September. I haven't seen anything from GSA but I can imagine their show would be equally as amazing....sorry no help whatsoever. ;)
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018 - Dilemma!

Post by Scarytimes »

TeethandTwinkles wrote:
So pleased for you both but don't envy this decision as both colleges are amazing! A lovely position and I really feel he will do well wherever he chooses. So thrilled for him and your family!
I also saw the Laine show and it really blew me away! Such diverse talent being shown. I think Laine has had a previous reputation of being very classical and after a certain 'look' but this show dispelled all those myths; tap, jazz, commercial, MT, ballet, contemporary, singing, acting... all disciplines outstanding... it felt really fresh and exciting! Congratulations to all those students and teachers! Excited for my DD to start in September. I haven't seen anything from GSA but I can imagine their show would be equally as amazing....sorry no help whatsoever. ;)
It is all helpful, honest. Thanks everyone for being so supportive and coming up with so many things to bear in mind. We are thinking hard...
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Scarytimes wrote:
beanie-bean wrote:Wow! What a fabulous day for your DS! I don't mean to pry but would finances come into your decision making? They are both amazing college's so if it were my DD in that enviable position then I think I would look at finances. If your ds is entitled to a full dada with accommodation at Laine compared to a degree loan to pay back then (if it were my dd) I would sway toward's Laine. However if you have to top up the dada at Laine and pay accomodation etc then perhaps the degree at GSA may be a better option? Wishing your ds all the best. Xxx
You have hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. Even with a DaDA, the cost of accommodation as compared to getting some maintenance loan to help makes quite a difference. I've told him we can just about do it if he really wants to go there, but it will be a push.

Thanks everyone for your support - I know the vote of confidence from GSA was swaying him and that's why I was so surprised at him wavering when he finally got the call. I'#ll let you know what he decides!
Wow this is fabulous Scary! What a wonderful problem to have :D I say enjoy deciding!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Scarytimes other considerations you could make are, do both schools have a 'type' of show/role you get noticed for after stage school finishes (eg GSA strong singer/acting and Laine I presume dance?) - also is there a difference in the training they offer? I'm assuming Laine is more dance-based, but that's a guess...
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

Ok Ladies and Gents. I have just spoken to a lovely lady at Laine.

She told me whilst there has been a bit of movement on the reserve funding list (girls) there has only been a couple of places that have declined.
Realistically she didn’t expect to get to my daughter (currently number 17) as she said in the years when they get that far a lot more movement would have happened.
Obviously she can’t say for definite. Thought I would let anyone know who is quite far down so you knew what your options were.
She was really nice and said my DD could re audition as she is only 16 and also said she would succeed wherever she went as it is more about attitude than just the college.
Hope this helps anyone not near the top of the lists if you are trying to decide between offers.
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

GSA have just posted on FB that their entry requirements for 2019/20 will be CCC. Start of a new era they’re saying, talent over grades...
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

That's great news about GSA ,the cynic in me just thinks of all the extra revenue raised from auditions as more will feel able to apply like my DD !