Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Scarytimes »

reachforthestars wrote:GSA have just posted on FB that their entry requirements for 2019/20 will be CCC. Start of a new era they’re saying, talent over grades...
Wise decision I think. I bet they lose out as those with multiple offers go for certainty from another college rather than gambling on A level results. Trouble is that the results come out a long time after the other colleges ask you to accept or turn down places. We have submitted the DaDA information for Laine and they are really pushing him for a decision this week :?
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

Scarytimes wrote:
reachforthestars wrote:GSA have just posted on FB that their entry requirements for 2019/20 will be CCC. Start of a new era they’re saying, talent over grades...
Wise decision I think. I bet they lose out as those with multiple offers go for certainty from another college rather than gambling on A level results. Trouble is that the results come out a long time after the other colleges ask you to accept or turn down places. We have submitted the DaDA information for Laine and they are really pushing him for a decision this week :?

They can’t force you to make a decision if you have a DaDA but they obviously want you to choose them. Also they have others waiting and they probably don’t want to be rushing after results day to get the DaDA forms in either I imagine ! :lol:
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Good news re GSA A-level grade requirement being reduced. I expect the BTEC grade requirement will also be lowered?

With my DD out of the country on a post A-level exam jamboree, I decided to call Trinity Laban to ask about this reserve list business. Apparently there are 20 people on the Trinity MT BA reserve list but no rank order so anything could happen right until the end of August :shock: when there is probbably no student accomodation left. The person I spoke to said there has been no movement and if someone does later decline their place, the people on the reaerve list are re-reviewed and a place offered to an appropriate replacement. Looks increasingly unlikely this is not gong to happen for DD so she will be on the audition circuit again next year whilst she is doing the Foundation at Arts ed. Really not looking forward to another year of degree place auditions, although at least A-levels will have been done and dusted.

Congratulations to all those that have had offers come through recently!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Felicity wrote:Good news re GSA A-level grade requirement being reduced. I expect the BTEC grade requirement will also be lowered?

With my DD out of the country on a post A-level exam jamboree, I decided to call Trinity Laban to ask about this reserve list business. Apparently there are 20 people on the Trinity MT BA reserve list but no rank order so anything could happen right until the end of August :shock: when there is probbably no student accomodation left. The person I spoke to said there has been no movement and if someone does later decline their place, the people on the reaerve list are re-reviewed and a place offered to an appropriate replacement. Looks increasingly unlikely this is not gong to happen for DD so she will be on the audition circuit again next year whilst she is doing the Foundation at Arts ed. Really not looking forward to another year of degree place auditions, although at least A-levels will have been done and dusted.

How frustrating! I feel for your DD as she is so close and can't really plan for a time when it will be definite either.

I was wondering how accommodation works for those who get late places - not the same as universities with halls where they can just reallocate a room to you.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Felicity wrote:Good news re GSA A-level grade requirement being reduced. I expect the BTEC grade requirement will also be lowered?

I wouldn't give up faith, nothing has really moved yet, reading last years post the degree stuff didn't starting moving at some colleges until 23rd June, I would get your dd to keep contacting them, to show her interest. best of luck Xx
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Someone on another thread a while back said how the reserve lists work if they aren't numbered, is they look for a replacement similar to who has declined, so a tall brunette with strong skills in <insert strength> they would look to replace with similar. Not ideal when you need to know what's happening and sort out accommodation etc.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I haven't been on here for a week and so much is going on ! Well done to you ds Scarytimes, when unis make an offer there is usually a little flexibity in their offers ,so even at BCC I dare say CCC would secure a place. A few years ago one of DS friends was on the talented list and his international qualification was not good enough but they managed to accept him. Their showcases are excellent.
There is no question that Laine delivers excellent dancers /performers who often go on to get work in the industry .
DS personally wanted to do a degree course as he wanted that safety net . In the world of performing nobody cares what you have or what your grade is. So it's only for his peace of mind.
Do you think an email / call to the show department would reassure you ?
Keep us posted.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Update, Reverse lists are starting to move!

Morning all, Didn't want to post until official letter came, dd has received offer from Bird and accepted a place from the reserve list \:D/ \:D/ . This means that she'll let her other funded places go. Best of luck to all on reserve Lists, fingers crossed your wait won't be much longer. Xx

PS can I just say this site has been a life saver for me and my sanity. Great support and just a lovely bunch of people :D =D>
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

oscar wrote:I haven't been on here for a week and so much is going on ! Well done to you ds Scarytimes, when unis make an offer there is usually a little flexibity in their offers ,so even at BCC I dare say CCC would secure a place. A few years ago one of DS friends was on the talented list and his international qualification was not good enough but they managed to accept him. Their showcases are excellent.
There is no question that Laine delivers excellent dancers /performers who often go on to get work in the industry .
DS personally wanted to do a degree course as he wanted that safety net . In the world of performing nobody cares what you have or what your grade is. So it's only for his peace of mind.
Do you think an email / call to the show department would reassure you ?
Keep us posted.
Hi oscar - talking a lot of sense as ever. I've sent emails to both Laine and GSA this week asking to clarify a couple of things. They are still assessing how much our DaDA will be so no decision needed until then. Degree is appealing as I can imagine him going into teaching at some point in the future - but who knows. Of course you can obtain the degree in the third year at Laine still..
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Newbe2018 wrote:Update, Reverse lists are starting to move!

Morning all, Didn't want to post until official letter came, dd has received offer from Bird and accepted a place from the reserve list \:D/ \:D/ . This means that she'll let her other funded places go. Best of luck to all on reserve Lists, fingers crossed your wait won't be much longer. Xx

PS can I just say this site has been a life saver for me and my sanity. Great support and just a lovely bunch of people :D =D>
Fantastic news - is that the degree place then?
Equally - thank you for your support =D>
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Scarytimes wrote:

Fantastic news - is that the degree place then?
Equally - thank you for your support =D>

No , it’s for a dada, but they’re gonna move her to degree as soon as there’s a space. They’ve said she’s towards top, but not expecting it to move till August, will update again if and when it happens, this way we can at least get the accommodation pack ect xx
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Newbe2018 wrote:
No , it’s for a dada, but they’re gonna move her to degree as soon as there’s a space. They’ve said she’s towards top, but not expecting it to move till August, will update again if and when it happens, this way we can at least get the accommodation pack ect xx
So great to know where she is going for definite and to be able to start planning. I expect you are right in that degree places move mostly once results are out in August. Good luck! \:D/
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

Oh that’s fab news! She will be with my DD (although mine is 16 so she can’t do the degree).

And I what to echo your thoughts on this group!! So helpful!!
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:It’s nowhere near £1000! It’s for Wilkes Academy and only £250 but my DD does already have nice headshots which a friend took in preparation for the auditions. I guess we just pay to get more! Thankfully she also has most of the expensive uniform items too (tap shoes, pointe shoes etc.) Many thanks for confirming that this is completely normal and expected (just not for me who is such a newbie!).

Spoke to a lady who’s daughter is at Bird.
The £1000 is split over 3 years for their head shots and costumes etc (she said she didn’t really know what it was spent on!)
So it seems £250-350 a year is the norm ... wish they would say in the “fees “ section of the websites. With equipment and uniform it can be pricey!
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

Well done to everyone hearing from the reserve lists. And fingers crossed for those still waiting.xx