Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by DGtherunner »

lbm1e14 wrote:
Candafitt wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
That’s awful. Presume they mean that he is on the reserve list and they don’t know when people might release their places?? I can’t think what else they would be waiting for!
I know Scarytimes!! #-o
No he doesn’t even know that as yet, it could be be a no, they haven’t even said reserve. The emails were so misleading as they said ‘we are unable to offer a place at present and we are holding you on reserve’ BUT, when he rang they said places haven’t been sorted as yet, we will contact you shortly to advise whether you are on reserve, in or out! He said to them , am I on reserve then and they said no basically. I don’t know what to think other than just try to forget about it. I can tell it’s quietly driving him mad too. In fact, as he came out from his singing lesson last night, I heard the teacher say ‘don’t overthink it’ so I think he’s more stressed than I realise.
All pretty disgraceful really if this has ongoing since November! I do wonder if the likes of GSA struggle juggling their recruitment. With small numbers they have to watch the balance of the intake, but also they may make more offers than they have places in case some with offers don't get the grades or go elsewhere even if they do. I also think that under UCAS rules, if they make a conditional offer and the student gets the grades they have to take them. Which could mean in a freak year everyone might get the grades and decide to go which would put them over on their ideal number. It's a bit of a lottery especially with a cohort of 35ish. You could end up with 30 or 40. That said they do take a large number of applicants who are older i.e. not straight from A levels, so presumably they wouldn't be getting conditional places.
How is that working with UCAS? I thought the unis had to submit acceptance or rejection within a certain timescale? Have you contacted UCAS? They were really helpful when one of my DS's unis weren't playing by the rules.
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

Hi

How does UCAS work? How many points do you get for a 3 year Diploma? Xx
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

DGtherunner wrote:
lbm1e14 wrote:
Candafitt wrote:
I know Scarytimes!! #-o
No he doesn’t even know that as yet, it could be be a no, they haven’t even said reserve. The emails were so misleading as they said ‘we are unable to offer a place at present and we are holding you on reserve’ BUT, when he rang they said places haven’t been sorted as yet, we will contact you shortly to advise whether you are on reserve, in or out! He said to them , am I on reserve then and they said no basically. I don’t know what to think other than just try to forget about it. I can tell it’s quietly driving him mad too. In fact, as he came out from his singing lesson last night, I heard the teacher say ‘don’t overthink it’ so I think he’s more stressed than I realise.
All pretty disgraceful really if this has ongoing since November! I do wonder if the likes of GSA struggle juggling their recruitment. With small numbers they have to watch the balance of the intake, but also they may make more offers than they have places in case some with offers don't get the grades or go elsewhere even if they do. I also think that under UCAS rules, if they make a conditional offer and the student gets the grades they have to take them. Which could mean in a freak year everyone might get the grades and decide to go which would put them over on their ideal number. It's a bit of a lottery especially with a cohort of 35ish. You could end up with 30 or 40. That said they do take a large number of applicants who are older i.e. not straight from A levels, so presumably they wouldn't be getting conditional places.
How is that working with UCAS? I thought the unis had to submit acceptance or rejection within a certain timescale? Have you contacted UCAS? They were really helpful when one of my DS's unis weren't playing by the rules.
GSA told him that due to the UCAS cut off his application would be declined for now, but they have the ability to reverse it if they offer!! #-o #-o #-o
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

You poor things!!! I can not believe how they make everyone wait like this x It must be so hard on your children!! Thinking of you all x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Whilst we're still waiting for an answer of DD's last audition, she can home today to say that a friend of hers got an offer from GSA on Tuesday and today they told him they had made a mistake and weren't offering him a place after all ](*,)
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Munchpot wrote:Whilst we're still waiting for an answer of DD's last audition, she can home today to say that a friend of hers got an offer from GSA on Tuesday and today they told him they had made a mistake and weren't offering him a place after all ](*,)
I can’t believe that!! That is just awful and so cruel, poor thing. :(
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

So awful!!! Did their track change or was it just a verbal offer because I would be so cross!!!
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Oh my! I think that some college's are behaving quite badly. If they have finished their auditions then surely there is no reason why they cannot decide to offer, decline or wait list. I don't understand it. How can Laine still be considering someone when the recalls were weeks ago? And as for GSA telling that poor lad they had made a mistake is absolutely disgraceful. I really feel for everyone waiting to hear. Fingers crossed for you all. Xxx
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

Munchpot

That is a terrible way for the college to behave, that poor student could of gave up his offers elsewhere based on that offer. How can they retract it after being offered!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Munchpot wrote:Whilst we're still waiting for an answer of DD's last audition, she can home today to say that a friend of hers got an offer from GSA on Tuesday and today they told him they had made a mistake and weren't offering him a place after all ](*,)
That is truly shocking! It is stressful enough for them all without having offers retracted. I can't wait for all this madness to be over.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Oh my goodness! That’s just awful! If it were my DD I think I’d be on the phone to them to try and make them sort it out!! Surely they should honour that place now, even if it means they end up one over their numbers?!
It sounds like more than a few colleges have got themselves into a mess this year! So stressful for DC’s and us parents! It just seems to drag on and on, doesn’t it?! #-o
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

I’m trying everything to get an answer, I’ve just Dm on twitter and they’ve replied with an apology and that they will contact admissions tomorrow. My DS has said, it’s been that long he can’t see it being good news. :( :(
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Candafitt wrote:I’m trying everything to get an answer, I’ve just Dm on twitter and they’ve replied with an apology and that they will contact admissions tomorrow. My DS has said, it’s been that long he can’t see it being good news. :( :(
Fingers crossed for you [-o<
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

Hope you get good news Candafitt x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Everything crossed xxxx