Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Marissa wrote:Still waiting to hear from Hammond :(
Oh no Marissa! I have been checking in each day to see if you had heard yet - how frustrating for you and your DD! ](*,) I hope that you get some resolve today and that the Hammond can let you know one way or another

We are done auditioning this year after the whole Chichester fiasco, DD has decided to take a year out next year, hopefully get a part time job and really focus on her training from end of June after A-levels through to the next round of auditions for 2019, of which we hope to stat auditioning much earlier. I think she will be able to really enjoy her training again as it's become a bit of a slog fitting everything in with A-level exams approaching, but there are a number of older students in her drama & musical theatre classes this year so she knows she won't be the eldest there next year. I did have a few really down days last weekend after she was unable to attend Chichester when she was ill, and where I blamed myself for the fact that she couldn't take up her place at Performers on the foundation course due to the cost. I think that because DD has a positive outlook for a gap year next year it has helped me feel better about it, as I think if she had been very down and depressed my heart would have broken for her.

Her dad is going to be furious and is still banging on about her taking english or law so she has just stopped communicating with him, as every telephone call ends in an argument at the moment - she is 18 and can do whatever she likes for her further education, and he has never been especially supportive of her performing anyway and sees it very much as a hobby and not something that can be a proper job. He has decided that he will not contribute anything towards travel / audition expenses in the future as it's not his choice of course for her (not that he contributed much anyway), so she has also had to deal with the realisation that he only has his own and not her best interests at heart, which when she looked back through her childhood has always been the case, so she has decided to leave him out of the loop as much as possible, but it has been a sad, bittersweet moment watching her look at her father through adult eyes and see him differently. I have had to just step back and let them both get on with it.

Hopefully, this next year we will be much better prepared, as we know when the UCAS deadlines will be, can attend more open days etc, and DD is also now considering applying for both degree and diploma courses so this will open up her options more as well. I have told her though that she must have a solid back up plan as well in case she isn't accepted on a musical theatre course. She did leave it until the last min this year, by not deciding on musical theatre until end of october - everything seemed so rushed. I think I will have to go over and introduce myself over on the 2019 thread!

Just to say a big thankyou to everybody for being so supportive - and I have found so much help, advice and information here and it has been so good to know that other parents are in the same boat with their children, and that we all just want the best for them. You have all been truly amazing and have helped me advise my DD through some of the toughest decisions she has ever had to make, and which will directly impact on her future and career. Well done to everyone whose children have made it onto a course for September, all the best for the future, and to those like us who will be doing it all again - good luck for next year, and hope to hear how your children are getting on again soon. xx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes it's good to just take a breather and gather for the next step. A job earning is a great way to build up some funds for future college time and also is just good for growing up and developing some life skills. Audition time will be round again soon. Audition prep short courses might be an option over the summer to keep sharp. Mono box do monologue days and most of the colleges do short courses. Ballet Cymru do a lovely ballet week for all levels. DD still has recalls to do and her Bird audition so we are still waiting but if nothing comes up then she will have another go so we will join you on the 2019 thread for early auditions. Wish it wasn't so tough!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Oh no Marissa! I have been checking in each day to see if you had heard yet - how frustrating for you and your DD! ](*,) I hope that you get some resolve today and that the Hammond can let you know one way or another

We are done auditioning this year after the whole Chichester fiasco, DD has decided to take a year out next year, hopefully get a part time job and really focus on her training from end of June after A-levels through to the next round of auditions for 2019, of which we hope to stat auditioning much earlier. I think she will be able to really enjoy her training again as it's become a bit of a slog fitting everything in with A-level exams approaching, but there are a number of older students in her drama & musical theatre classes this year so she knows she won't be the eldest there next year. I did have a few really down days last weekend after she was unable to attend Chichester when she was ill, and where I blamed myself for the fact that she couldn't take up her place at Performers on the foundation course due to the cost. I think that because DD has a positive outlook for a gap year next year it has helped me feel better about it, as I think if she had been very down and depressed my heart would have broken for her.

Her dad is going to be furious and is still banging on about her taking english or law so she has just stopped communicating with him, as every telephone call ends in an argument at the moment - she is 18 and can do whatever she likes for her further education, and he has never been especially supportive of her performing anyway and sees it very much as a hobby and not something that can be a proper job. He has decided that he will not contribute anything towards travel / audition expenses in the future as it's not his choice of course for her (not that he contributed much anyway), so she has also had to deal with the realisation that he only has his own and not her best interests at heart, which when she looked back through her childhood has always been the case, so she has decided to leave him out of the loop as much as possible, but it has been a sad, bittersweet moment watching her look at her father through adult eyes and see him differently. I have had to just step back and let them both get on with it.

Hopefully, this next year we will be much better prepared, as we know when the UCAS deadlines will be, can attend more open days etc, and DD is also now considering applying for both degree and diploma courses so this will open up her options more as well. I have told her though that she must have a solid back up plan as well in case she isn't accepted on a musical theatre course. She did leave it until the last min this year, by not deciding on musical theatre until end of october - everything seemed so rushed. I think I will have to go over and introduce myself over on the 2019 thread!

Just to say a big thankyou to everybody for being so supportive - and I have found so much help, advice and information here and it has been so good to know that other parents are in the same boat with their children, and that we all just want the best for them. You have all been truly amazing and have helped me advise my DD through some of the toughest decisions she has ever had to make, and which will directly impact on her future and career. Well done to everyone whose children have made it onto a course for September, all the best for the future, and to those like us who will be doing it all again - good luck for next year, and hope to hear how your children are getting on again soon. xx
Great post and I wish you and DD the very best of luck! You make a great point in that once they are 18, they are adults (might not act like it!) and they have every right to make their own decisions about their own lives. Sometimes the adjustment for us parents is hard, as we have been used to making decisions for them but bit by bit, they have to start taking control. Yes. we can still advise, but it's up to them if they chose to take that advice or not. If your DD wants to do MT, ultimately it is her decision and I really hope it works out for her.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

A great post and emotional too. Wishing your daughter all the very best.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Hi rhythmanddreams

Most of us have been there, it is a long journey for some of our DC. We have had health issues which are still on going, two years of auditions. DD has just had to intermit at Chichester due to needing surgery (tonsillectomy). She is starting the degree again in September at Chichester. The operation is being done in the next few weeks but we are having to pay for it as DD cannot wait, the list on the NHS is around two years. Your DD will be more familiar with the audition process next year. Our DD chose places that she felt would offer her a place. She tried one outsider and that was GSA. We didn't bother with the Diploma as we new we needed funding, we had already tried a performing arts college, it didn't suit DD and put too much strain on us financially. We also didn't want DD to be offered a place and not be able to go. It sounds like your DD has a plan and I am sure it will turn out alright for her next year. I agree with applying early, her UNi auditions need to start before Christmas as they offer as they go along and once they are full it is just a process and nothing else. There are also some of the conservatoires that do Musical theatre with full student finance. I wish your daughter good luck and look forward to hearing where she is going next year.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:

Arghhh SHE GOT A PLACE AT HAMMOND!!! So pleased!!! Thankyou for all your kind words xxx
Dear Rhythmanddreams x I think your idea sounds good and your DD needs a rest to recover etc x I also am so grateful for everyone's support over the last six months and for the next few months lol x it's such a shame hubby isn't supportive but at least she has a fabulous mum to support her xxx I will continue to watch your journey xxx huge hugs xxx
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Well done to your daughter Marissa, she must be so excited. What was the delay in letting her know?
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

That’s fantastic news Marissa! I’ve been following your story, so pleased for your DD.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Fantastic news Marissa _ Well done to your DD and a large glass for you!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

kzgirl wrote:Well done to your daughter Marissa, she must be so excited. What was the delay in letting her know?
They forgot her on the email list! So if we hadnt of phoned we would never have known! They apologised greatly and changed her track right away x It's such a relief x So Hammond School or a foundation at Trinity if she gets off the reserve list x Now that will be a tough decision should it happen but at least either way she's a happy girl x
Thankyou all x
Last edited by Marissa on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Munchpot wrote:Fantastic news Marissa _ Well done to your DD and a large glass for you!
Thankyou!!!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Harry2003 wrote:That’s fantastic news Marissa! I’ve been following your story, so pleased for your DD.
Thankyou xx
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

Congratulations Marissa, I’ve been following your story and hoping your DD would get good news
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Congratulations to your DD Marissa. Glad it was good news after such a long wait!

Accommodation: not sure what your options are for the degree course at the Hammond but we visited the uni on an open day recently and did not think much of most of the uni accommodation. We were recommended to consider fresh student living and viewed a couple of their Chester properties. Tramways usually has students from Hammond there and will be my DD2s choice for accommodation should she end up at Chester Uni (her reserve choice) . DD2 is not following her sister down the performing arts route though.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

2dancersmum wrote:Congratulations to your DD Marissa. Glad it was good news after such a long wait!

Accommodation: not sure what your options are for the degree course at the Hammond but we visited the uni on an open day recently and did not think much of most of the uni accommodation. We were recommended to consider fresh student living and viewed a couple of their Chester properties. Tramways usually has students from Hammond there and will be my DD2s choice for accommodation should she end up at Chester Uni (her reserve choice) . DD2 is not following her sister down the performing arts route though.
Thankyou x we were thinking of tramways if we can get a room x not sure how it works x we weren't expecting a successful last audition!