Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Upinlights
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Upinlights »

Hi Lynda

I agree , exactly the same boat. Local colleges to us are not a high enough standard. Good luck to your dd. Where is she applying to ? Probably bump into you at the auditions x
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

lotsolaffs wrote:Has anyone tried to apply for AVT at Urdang recently? Spoke to the rudest man ever who answered the phone to me during the week,nearly told him to stick Urdang up his ar*e.
The link on the website doesn't seem to work when you need to download application form.
Anyway went to local college Performing Arts BTEC open evening, good facilities, sprung floors,mirrors, a whole dedicated block,I listened to what teachers were saying to other parents and they knew what they were talking about.
They are very pleased to be offering for the first time ever a FULL TIME course...of 12 hours,what on earth did they offer before? It will be our last resort but not as bad as we thought,we will supplied with summer schools etc. Students seemed very happy which is important. I feel more optimistic about it now.
Not that I know anything about Urdang, but don't be put off by the rude man. I received a very pompous email reply to my initial query about Tring's summer school and felt the same way you did, but decided to ignore, booked DD in and she had a fantastic time.

Yes, FE courses can be counted as full time is they are 12+ hours. My son's BTEC level 3 extended diploma (in computing not in performing arts) is around 16 hours a week, 2 full days and a day where he goes for 1.5 hours. If you opt for it, you may also need to supplement her course with continuing at her current dance/drama classes. I'd also be asking for an idea of how it is timetabled, though they won't be able to give you an exact indication. My Neice aso on a BTEC level 3 course (again different subject, this time public services) has classes that are all over the place and has to 'hang around' for a few hours waiting for the next class to commence.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I did ask about timetable and tutor said at the moment they are off on Fridays and some days 2-3 hours, it was BTEC Extended so equivalent to 3 A levels. Will call rude man again Monday to ask why link isn't working and get his week off to a good start.
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

islandofsodor wrote:I sent Bodens an online enquiry about something that was on their website and have not had a reply either.
Hi,

Just noticed this... did you get a response from Bodens? Let me know if I can help in anyway.

---

HELP! I am looking at degree options at the moment (my DD is 19, and will have completed her Level 3, Level 4 and Level 6 qualifications at Bodens by then, having trained with them for three years) - many of her friends are auditioning for the traditional musical theatre colleges (they are great 'all-rounders') - my daughter doesn't feel her dance is strong enough. Her acting and singing ability is very strong though. Are there any drama schools that consider vocal standard over dance? I know places like Arts Ed, Urdang etc offer musical theatre courses, but they are definitely dance-based musical theatre courses. Anyone know of any actor/singer MT courses? Perhaps she should be looking at acting colleges, but as her singing ability is so strong, I wouldn't want her to miss out... any advice would be really helpful!

---

On another note, I've been reading through lots of your feeds - just to point out that at Bodens 'full-time' means FULL TIME! Their Level Three Extended Diploma students are in from 9am-3pm Monday to Friday. They do not charge anything for the extended hours. They also offer free evening classes for students who want additional training (e.g., ballet classes etc).
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

We've still heard nothing from Millennium and their Open Day is two weeks today! ](*,)
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

mariapanayi wrote:
islandofsodor wrote:I sent Bodens an online enquiry about something that was on their website and have not had a reply either.
Hi,

Just noticed this... did you get a response from Bodens? Let me know if I can help in anyway.

---

HELP! I am looking at degree options at the moment (my DD is 19, and will have completed her Level 3, Level 4 and Level 6 qualifications at Bodens by then, having trained with them for three years) - many of her friends are auditioning for the traditional musical theatre colleges (they are great 'all-rounders') - my daughter doesn't feel her dance is strong enough. Her acting and singing ability is very strong though. Are there any drama schools that consider vocal standard over dance? I know places like Arts Ed, Urdang etc offer musical theatre courses, but they are definitely dance-based musical theatre courses. Anyone know of any actor/singer MT courses? Perhaps she should be looking at acting colleges, but as her singing ability is so strong, I wouldn't want her to miss out... any advice would be really helpful!

---

On another note, I've been reading through lots of your feeds - just to point out that at Bodens 'full-time' means FULL TIME! Their Level Three Extended Diploma students are in from 9am-3pm Monday to Friday. They do not charge anything for the extended hours. They also offer free evening classes for students who want additional training (e.g., ballet classes etc).
Bodens does indeed sound good. Wish all btec providers were at that standard. Great to have the 18-19 free option too.

For your DD I would be considering Central and GSA as a degree for strong actor singer. I know those from looking into auditions last year. Central course is acting for MT and GSA first round was just singing last year. Others to check out might be BOV and Royal Welsh, Man Met, Anglia Ruskin. Maybe rada or lamda do acting/ singing courses? Other people with experience can chip in other ideas. With all that training your DD dance might be better than she thinks though!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Fullmoon wrote:We've still heard nothing from Millennium and their Open Day is two weeks today! ](*,)
Will PM you with an alternarte email address
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

Hi Mariapanayi

Agree with suggestions for MT courses with less dance (we were in the same boat 3 years ago). Try GSA, Mountview, Central and London College of Music. My DD is at London College of Music at the moment. She loves it and is very impressed with the standard of teaching. Central and LCM would definitely be considered more Actor/Singer. Less dance on the course but lots of opportunities in the societies and outside lessons to improve on their dancing still.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I don't think we are going to pursue the Boden's thing. My questions were that I couldn't find a link to the OFSTED report they mentioned on the website & I wondered about the level of dance as Dd is currently studying Advanced 1 in ballet, tap & jazz.

Our local free btecs (we have two!) are contracted out to veryvwell established dance schools. I've just been sent a prospectus for one of them & the timetable is Monday - Thursday 8.45am - 4.50pm plus I know the calibre if the teachers so I can't see the point in looking further afield for a back up option.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

lawn wrote:
lotsolaffs wrote:Has anyone tried to apply for AVT at Urdang recently? Spoke to the rudest man ever who answered the phone to me during the week,nearly told him to stick Urdang up his ar*e.
The link on the website doesn't seem to work when you need to download application form.
Anyway went to local college Performing Arts BTEC open evening, good facilities, sprung floors,mirrors, a whole dedicated block,I listened to what teachers were saying to other parents and they knew what they were talking about.
They are very pleased to be offering for the first time ever a FULL TIME course...of 12 hours,what on earth did they offer before? It will be our last resort but not as bad as we thought,we will supplied with summer schools etc. Students seemed very happy which is important. I feel more optimistic about it now.
Not that I know anything about Urdang, but don't be put off by the rude man. I received a very pompous email reply to my initial query about Tring's summer school and felt the same way you did, but decided to ignore, booked DD in and she had a fantastic time.

Yes, FE courses can be counted as full time is they are 12+ hours. My son's BTEC level 3 extended diploma (in computing not in performing arts) is around 16 hours a week, 2 full days and a day where he goes for 1.5 hours. If you opt for it, you may also need to supplement her course with continuing at her current dance/drama classes. I'd also be asking for an idea of how it is timetabled, though they won't be able to give you an exact indication. My Neice aso on a BTEC level 3 course (again different subject, this time public services) has classes that are all over the place and has to 'hang around' for a few hours waiting for the next class to commence.
There is never any excuse for rudeness but I do know that Urdang's new updated website went live at the end of last week so they may be having some teething problems. I now can't seem to find any audition dates on the website.

My dd is doing an extended Level 3 BTEC although no A levels to compliment it and her college/contact hours are 25. I am rather shocked at 12 hours! It's 3 full days 8.30 - 3.30- and two half days although she is expected to complete her course work in the time she isn't in college.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

There seem to be some great general MT Btecs around, but I doubt if many can cater for a more advanced dancer who's been training vocationally. My dd, albeit not trained vocationally, is working at advanced levels in dance and I think she will look for great overall theatrical training next year (eg Emildale/Bodens), try to get good BTec grades and keep up the dancing locally at dd's current dance schools. She would also like to keep her place in her London MT troupe for the solo singing and dance performance opportunities, if the colleges allow that. So maybe a mixture of provision won't be bad and more affordable plus ensure she knows what she really wants by the age of 17 and feels ready to go away and train vocationally.
I've heard that Itali Conti is also offering a degree from next year, so this seems to be the way PA colleges are going, plus that the Diploma in London is very different from their Diploma course at Guildford. Also that Laine students can complete their BA Hons as part of their third year rather than as an add on - so more to research. (Don't know if all true!)
Double trouble
Nominee

Post by Double trouble »

My daughter is 3rd year at millennium on DADA they have DAdA s and scholarships ! We didn't do the normal audition as daughter was meant to be doing a years commercial and jazz at a sch based at pineapple but the school went into liquidation 2 days before she was meant to start ! Taking our 5000 pounds with them which we never got back !! After that decided only schools we would look at were CDET that we knew off ! This happened in Sep so all schools had started new term ! I decided to ring Laine Urdang Bird and Millennium we live quite near to Laine and daughter knew she wanted to stay at home ! All the schools were obviously full but millennium said they had places in foundation ! Next day she took ballet and jazz class with first years daughter is not a singer and would never of auditioned for MT sch as we thought singing would be top of the list ! Anyway she was offered a scholarship for diploma after going for few days to make sure she wanted the place ! And after a month was offered DADA ! I havnt had problems with getting hold of them but don't really need to anymore . My daughter has really come on and knows lot about how hard the industry is !! It's prob one of the smaller schools but she likes that and has 12 in her dance classes ! The teachers are very approachable and pastoral care good . good luck to you all it's very hard industry to be in !
RosaMac
BRIT Award

Post by RosaMac »

Just had a quick look at Millenniums website and I can't see any mention of DADA funding. So perhaps it has been removed from their website. Maybe someone who has a student there will know for definite.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Yes, it looks like they’ve updated the wording regarding funding, doesn’t it? It says that fee reductions are offered at the discretion of the school, but nothing about DADA’s anymore (except on their admissions/funding policy which is still being displayed but needs updating as it expired in Sept 2016), so it looks like they’ve lost it due to their RI status :cry:
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

The inspection from 2016 says "requires improvement" so I think that is why no dadas can be offered. I wouldn't be happy for DD to apply. I know ofsted isn't everything but it's a lot of money time and commitment so I just wouldn't risk it.